Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Viewport is Clipping Model

I'm not sure if I'm doing something stupid but I'm quite new to 3ds max and have been working at scale on some game models. I have my units set to 1m as required by the engine import at the moment. Whenever I get close to a model it gets clipped drastically so working on fine details is very difficult. My only workaround at the moment is to turn of the perspective which helps.

Is this normal behaviour and is there a way to work on smallish models at 1m real world scale properly?

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Usualy making the object pivot become the center of transformation (z) will fix the clipping thing. But if that doesn't help click the [Perspective] on the viweport and choose "viewport clipping" then drag the slider on the right side of that particular viewport to adjust the clipping distance.

_Revel
  • nevets2001uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great tips, thanks. I'll try those later and see how I get on.
  • nevets2001uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again. I tried those tips and still seem to be struggling. Either working on a small to scale model in meter unit or with a whole scene I'm putting together which seems even worse. I really struggle to navigate around the scene in the perspective viewport. The scroll wheel zooming seems to jump massive amounts and I can't get close enough to model / tweak smaller elements and object positions at all.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Hold ctrl and alt and scroll wheel then move mouse up and down. Smooth zooming. I usually work in ortho view. Most of the time its easier to work with and no clipping issue.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the upper left hand corner of the viewport, click on the camera name (perspective, left, top, etc..) and then select "viewport clipping". It should bring up a yellow bar with two arrows on the right side of the viewport. Zoom in on the object to where it starts clipping, and then adjust the yellow arrows until it becomes visible again.

Hope that helps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep refocus the camera on the current selection (z), check your scale or adjust the viewport clipping.

If its a scale issue there isn't much you can do other than work at a larger scale. Typically what I would do is scale the object up, 2000%, never reset the transforms and set scale back to 100% when I was done with the up close operations.