Home General Discussion

University Project Questionnaire

Hi,
I'm a student at Staffordshire University in my 3rd year and doing work on my Final Year Project (FYP). The project is about retro game adaption and it's effects on the character design pipeline. Effectively, I will be choosing a retro game and modelling a current-generation rendition of one of it's characters.

Before I start modelling, I need to collect research from people with professional experience in the games industry (even if you don't have professional experience, any answered questionnaires will be a valuable part of my research). Below is a link to a couple of short questionnaires, of which you only need to answer one.

EDIT:

I have created a quicker, easier survey on Survey Monkey; the link is below

- http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PD85XRH

Should only take 5-10 minutes, depending on how long you want to spend on each question.

/EDIT

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3oi06

The questions will cover important elements in character design and typical design & production pipelines. If you have worked on either a retro or current generation game(or none at all), please answer Questionnaire1. If you have experience on a current generation game based off/adapted from a retro game, please answer Questionnaire2. Once you have completed the questionnaire, send it to av001386@student.staffs.ac.uk

Thank you for any input. :)

Replies

• Zerecese
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Just some advice:
    When trying to get people to fill in surveys for you, try to make it as easy as possible.
    For example the procedure right now is;

1. Download a random zip file from sendspace
    2. Unzip it
    3. Assume they have a program that can open .doc (manually upload to something like gogle docs if they don't)
    4. Fill it in, which isn't that simple because there are Y/N questions that require the user to delete the appropriate characters instead of clicking on a option like a decent survey would do.
    5. Compose a email
    6. Realize your survey doesn't even tell the user where to send it, so they'll have to open up this thread again just to find your email and then copy/paste it.
    7. Attach .doc
    8. Send

It's quite a lot of steps.

And none of that takes into account the questions you actually asked. You asked many very time consuming questions, people who answer these would basically be doing your whole dissertation for you.

What you should have done is researched into a better method of distributing your survey and thought of some less time consuming questions.
    I personally find the best surveys that actually make me want to fill them in are multiple choice ones or 1 word answers. People are also more inclined to type a lengthy response if there was a discussion, like there would be if the questions were asked on these forums.

It seems like it might be too late now though... considering how theres only like 3 months left! Unless you make something up real quick now and hope people here are in a very good mood :)

This isn't just targeted at you by the way, this applies to anyone who decides to post surveys here.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful towards the actual survey, I'm not a character artist and many of your questions can't really be applied to my job.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    use dropbox at least :|
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd recommend knocking together a questionaire on Surveymonkey.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/?cmpid=eng:au:ps:google&gclid=CJGSyafVuacCFUxtpAodN0q3BA
    It should be simple enough to set up and should get you a bit more interest from folks who feel less compelled to go through the whole downloading, filling out and sending malarkey
  • Zerecese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to simplify things ASAP.
  • Zerecese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd recommend knocking together a questionaire on Surveymonkey.
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/?cmpid=eng:au:ps:google&gclid=CJGSyafVuacCFUxtpAodN0q3BA
    It should be simple enough to set up and should get you a bit more interest from folks who feel less compelled to go through the whole downloading, filling out and sending malarkey

Thanks for the tip about Surveymonkey; I think that'll help quite a lot.:)

Survey is now up; check the first post 'EDIT' for a link. Again, thanks for any and all input.
  • Zerecese
  • Zerecese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last bump. Thanks to anyone who's answered my questionnaire so far.