Home Technical Talk

Copy/paste keyframes issue in 3ds Max

Hi. I'm using a self-made CAT rig in Max 2011 and have come across a problem I don't know how to solve.

I'm making a looping walk cycle - with the arm back at the first and final frame and a middle frame where it swings forward. When I try to copy the first keyframe position and paste it to the end (so that it'll loop) the position doesn't copy over correctly - the arm stays at the same place as the middle keyframe but rotates the hand slightly. Then if I delete all the keyframes they disappear from the time slider but the motion is still there somehow.

I've tried every different type of layer in CAT but it still does it every time.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated, this bug has really ruined my day. :(

Replies

• holipop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe my description wasn't clear enough, so I've made some images to explain what I did and my problem:

cat01.jpg
    Step 1: I create a simple CAT rig (for this example the standard 'clown') and add an abs animation layer.

cat02.jpg
    Step 2: On frame 0 I move the hand back to where I want it to swing to - no frame gets created on the time bar, but that's ok....

cat03.jpg
    Step 3: I move the time slider to frame 20 and move the arm forward with Autokey still on - a keyframe is created at 0 where the arm is in the back position and one at 20 which is the arm in its forward position - everything is perfect so far...

cat04.jpg
    Step 4: Now, on frame 40, I want my arm to return to the exact same position as frame 0. So I shift drag the first frame and place the copied frame at 40 on the timebar. Looks like it copied... lets scrub the time slider along and see if it's worked....

cat05.jpg
    Step 5: No, it hasn't worked, the hand has rotated slightly but has remained in the same position as frame 20.

I'm confident that anyone could repeat this error if they tried - so it must be something that I am doing wrong. Please could someone tell me what I have done wrong?
  • RobotGilardi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't done any animation in a long time - but it looks like your position key isn't being set. Have you tried manually keying position (k)?

Keyframe at the bottom visual key:
    Red:Position
    Green:Rotation
    Blue:Scale
  • holipop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for your reply! I had noticed that the red keys were missing too.

I tried setting the keys manually and they didn't work at all - the keyframes appeared on the timeline (with all three colours this time) but the different positions weren't kept (the hand just stayed static in the last position I had set).

Has anyone else had this sort of trouble? I can't believe that I'd be the only one to experience this.
  • holipop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have finally discovered the solution to my problem, or at least a work around, so I'll post it here for anyone else who struggles with the same thing.

With the hand selected, I went to the motion tab and clicked 'create IKTarget' under Limb Animation. This creates the little IK cross symbol inside the hand. I then moved the IK/FK slider down to 0 (so that the IK is guiding the arm) I then animated the IK symbol moving back and forth - the first key copy/pastes perfectly and I can finally get on with my work. smile.gif