Home General Discussion

Wacom question (more of an advice needed actually)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TryForce polycounter lvl 18
Hey there folks,
I got a Wacom Graphire4
graphire4-a5full.jpg

and for sometime i'm noticing how my pen keeps on drawing eventhough it's not on the 'plate' anymore (dunno how to call the plate/board w/e)
It really ruins most of the work sometimes causing me to fix it or going a step backwards and trying it again, really annoying.

so i did look up how much a Pen to replace would cost for it, and it'd be 35$, no issue for me but i thought maybe I should better buy a totaly new Wacom? I mean, i dont even know if it's the Pen only that causes this buggy problem?

The Graphire one merely is as big as a A4 paper (about 200mm each side) I really got comfy with it and it's a really beginner-friendly wacom, was cheap aswell.
Though i have no clue really, i just wonder if one of you could share your expirience when you bought a new wacom and if you think it was worth it.

It'd be awesome to hear a couple advices if possible, thanks in advance!
Also I'd like to know what Wacom's you guys use and if you like it or not.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Intuos3 A5 here. Use it everyday, have done for about 3 years. Love it.

An Intuos is expensive, but it's a great investment. Once it's bought and paid for, you don't need to worry about it, you're set with a decent tablet for a good few years.

I must admit I really dislike the surface on the Intuos4, but love some of the new button functions. Also, I hear you can just stick a sheet of paper over the surface if you don't like it and it works just fine.

I also hear good things about the Bamboo, although I don't think they do an A4.

Bottom line, it's a lot of money, but worth every penny if it's part of your regular workflow.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    It's most likely the pen, the only thing that determins if it draws or not is the nib pressure. Try removing the nib of the pen with thin pliers (careful not to cut it), see if maybe it's stuck a bit.
  • TryForce
    Offline / Send Message
    im scared to open up the pen haha, i don't seem to open it easily, so i'm scared to force-open it and it'll take damage or something.

I got this Graphire4 for about 3 years now as well, didn't use it every day but quite often. thats why i'd like to hear more opinions for now about this situation to make sure witch step to take.

Thanks you 2, i'll try it with the nib.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I have the same model here. It's a sufficient tool for many things.

If you got any new nibs in the box compare to see if it's shape is OK where it presses into the pen. Or maybe some undesired roughness around it so it gets stuck once it's pushed into the pen.

EDIT: wait don't try to open the pen! you just pull the nib outwards gently.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aertF9yb6n0[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    real men remove the nib with their teeth!
  • BadgerBaiter
    I managed to see my large Intuos3 not so long after the Intuos4 came out for the exact same price as a new Intuos4 Large.
  • krisCrash
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Bal wrote: »
    It's most likely the pen, the only thing that determins if it draws or not is the nib pressure. Try removing the nib of the pen with thin pliers (careful not to cut it), see if maybe it's stuck a bit.
    Yep, remove it, but then blow carefully into the slot. Dust collects there and messes up the contacts, you want to get that dust out.
    Might help you.

I wouldn't take it apart, I have taken some apart and broken some... some pens can be and some will break. That Graphire4 looks like the one I couldn't put together again. Yeaaah so I wore out a couple of lower end wacoms before I got my intuos ;)
  • TryForce
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot, i did that and it looks like it's actually fixed now.
    Guess it's not time to buy a new one then haha.

i'll saveup more money for new one.
    Anyone got a Cintiq? recommendable? I think it'll be pretty annoying but dont know, didnt get to test it yet.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I must admit I really dislike the surface on the Intuos4, but love some of the new button functions. Also, I hear you can just stick a sheet of paper over the surface if you don't like it and it works just fine.

I got an Intuos 4 last year and I really hated the surface with the standard nib too. It sounded and felt like drawing on a very fine sandpaper or something. I hadn't heard about that paper technique though. Instead I just tried out the different nibs that were included in the pen stand and settled on the black one with the white tip. I think it's the Marker nib.

ACK40001_md.jpg

Ever since I've used that nib it's been smooth and similar to drawing with... A Marker. It even sounds like a Marker too! It's a shame that they only include one of the Marker nibs with the original Intuos purchase and to get more you have to order the $30 accessories kit with all sorts of replacement nibs and such in it.
  • ikken
    you can buy nibs separately, and the one you're talking about is flex nib
    https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Flex_Nibs_10_pack__P1504C148.cfm
    marker ones are totally black and made of porous, marker-like material
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    ikken wrote: »
    you can buy nibs separately, and the one you're talking about is flex nib
    https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Flex_Nibs_10_pack__P1504C148.cfm
    marker ones are totally black and made of porous, marker-like material

Oh, cool beans. The "Flex Nib" really does sound and feel like a marker though. Silly Wacom.