Home General Discussion

I need help and guidance

triangle
Offline / Send Message
APesquera triangle
Hello Polycount.

My name is Álvaro Pesquera and I'm lost in life. I aspire to become a concept artist, learn 3D and design videogames. ¿The Problem? well... my country, Spain, is some kind of videogames desert; the chance to achieve these goals is low. I moved from a career in Physics to Fine Arts hoping it'll be easier to enter in the videogame industry; it's not, Fine Arts is actually more like a burden. I also though of learning what i needed by myself (including how to model and animate 3D), but i realised it was a slow and hard process, so I have almost desisted from these attempts.

I am writing this thread, not because I expect to find a magical solution, because i'm just kind at the edge of despair. Though I'm only 19-20 years old, I already feel like i'm wasting my time learnings things i don't actually need. I'm skilled and I can learn at a good pace. So, if anybody reading this words can offer me some guidance, advice, or whatever to help me, it'll be preciated, sincerely.

Thanks

PD: I know this sounds serious and gloomy as shit xDD
It was not my intention though, so don't take me SO seriously and excuse my bad english :)

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, it looks like there's a decent number of studios in Spain:
    Gamedevmap

If you truly love making games just keep making art - it's still just a job, one that has very little security. A Fine Art degree will help when you need to get a work Visa but when it comes to getting a job studios only care about good art.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    You are not lost if you know where you want to go.

About Spain: Well you could always move, there is lots of studios outside Spain. If that is not possible for you maybe you should re-think your career choice. Actually I dont know about any studios in Spain but the more studios you make yourself open for the easier it is to find one who will let you in.

How can Fine arts study hinder you from progressing more than physics? What I think hinders you the most is that usually in a studio people have specific roles, in many cases the guy designing games and the guy who makes concept art and the guy who models is not the same person. i would specify in one field and not become a jack of all trades. I mean you can do all 3 but it would be best to keep 2 to a minimum and focus your time on 1. If you like doing something its easy to keep at it. Time will solve the rest.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    I need formation, i think that's clear. I don't actually know the roles played in videogame development and i agree i shouldn't focus on being a jack of all trades (and master of none) but a certain kind of artist.

About Spain and the studios... yes, there are a couple studios, some of them had developed well knowed games, but i wouldn't search for job opportunities in Spain... the problem here is where to learn and get instructed. I know it's not neccesary at all to have a specific education, but it helps.

And, finally, about the possibility of study out of Spain... i have though about it, really, but I don't know anything about how well this kind of thing works in other countries.

Thanks for answering, you are beeing helpful.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    If you are from an EU country isn't it fairly easy to get permits to work anywhere in the EU?
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    The problem is not to get a work, i could get a work almost anywhere if i tried, the problem is where to receive formation xD
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    APesquera wrote: »
    The problem is not to get a work, i could get a work almost anywhere if i tried, the problem is where to receive formation xD

Just get some books. The people here will help you learn.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    If you just keep working in your spare time and maintain your passion for video games art, you can do anything. Decide on what you want to do (character art, environment art etc), and just get practicing.

If your work is good enough, you can be employed from any country in the world! Just gotta show how much effort you put in and it will come across in your work.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTN5NHfwlQ&quot;]&lt;iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rKTN5NHfwlQ?rel=0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/ame]
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Well you came to the right spot! Polycount is excellent for learning, just dig through my old posts and see what they've done for me (or didn't) in 1 1/2 years! There's a lot of experience and knowledge floating around here, and the community is great at keeping the focus on learning... mostly:)

I also came here lost in life, except for Im almost 30. Don't despair, you can start new paths in life anytime you want. Good luck, hope to see you around.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Well about what to learn, all is here at Polycount. Yes really all you need is on the internet for free. I would continue the arts course as long as you get to do art all day, then on the free time learn the tools and work on your own art work. Just remember what others has already said that education matters not only the portfolio you are presenting matters. (and if you are a good team-member/person) :) If you are looking for a school make sure someone at Polycount or someone already in the industry can recommend it, usually game related courses are shit but there are some good ones.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    There are a lot of online resources that can help you grow as an artist but the main thing you got to remember is to never stop kicking yourself in the butt for not doing enough and try getting out of your own comfort zone once in a while (both in art and in life imo).

If Spain limits you when it comes to working opportunities consider going abroad to find work. Determine who your competition is in the field you want to be working in. Get to know these people online ,gain knownledge from them and finally try to become as good or better as them. Keep raising the bar so you can't be ignored and just have a passion for what you are doing even though at times you might be struggling .
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    advice: nothing is superior to having a degree.
    ps: don't quit your education.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Belias wrote: »

I know for a fact that MANY people around here would strongly disagree with you. Myself included. Sure, having a degree may help you with a Visa, but most studios only really care about the art you make. Simply having a degree, with a terrible portfolio will NOT get you a job. No degree and an incredible portfolio however...
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Belias wrote: »

Cool story bro. A degree is worthless if you can't produce the art and stuff that is required for the position you're applying for.
    When I've been looking at applications with the other concept artists and leads here at Massive we're always looking at the folios first and then the cv. Work experience is also a +
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Simply having a degree, with a terrible portfolio will NOT get you a job. No degree and an incredible portfolio however...

That is true...if you are insisting on an art job. Having a degree is not necessary for many art jobs. However, I do believe that having a degree is usually superior to NOT having a degree. All things being equal, the person with the degree will probably have a better chance than the person without.

Of course, that brings up the issue of art-specific degrees, and why going to art school can be a terrible idea. Art-specific degrees from art-specific institutions tend to be considerably more expensive than art degrees from pretty much anywhere else.

My advice? Apply for every scholarship possible, and go to a regular college/university with a solid art program. Work your ass off on your art in your free time to build up a solid portfolio. That way you will have a relatively inexpensive art degree and a solid portfolio. Best of both worlds.