Home General Discussion

ADVICE!!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
can you get good at drawing digitally and transfer it to paper? is it like you can lose all the skill you learn digitally when you wanted to sketch on paper? (not painting, just drawing)

should i practice anatomy? and why? does it hold my creativity back in any way?

how bad is drawing from real human photos if you dont have a nude model posing for you.

i know PS makes things easier, but how bad can it stunt your growth in art?

how should i practice art in general?

I really really appreciate it if you could answers these :)

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    can you get good at drawing digitally and transfer it to paper?
    Yes.
    is it like you can lose all the skill you learn digitally when you wanted to sketch on paper? (not painting, just drawing)
    No.
    should i practice anatomy?
    Yes.
    and why?
    Because you will learn, increase your skills and this will lead to creating better art.
    does it hold my creativity back in any way?
    No. The more you understand things, the better you are equipped to use them as a basis for fantasy.
    how bad is drawing from real human photos if you dont have a nude model posing for you.
    It's not bad at all. Just keep in mind that it's already a still photo and a large portion of the work has already been done for you. Using stills as reference is a legitimate way to learn.
    i know PS makes things easier, but how bad can it stunt your growth in art?
    It can't. It's just another tool like a pencil, like paint, like clay.
    how should i practice art in general?
    The only way to practice is by doing. Do art and you'll get better at it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    - i believe yes, both have their advantages, on paper you'll lose a lot of simple but handy procedures, scaling, stretching cutting parts and moving them around etc is harder to do and mostly not done when draing classical, but skills you learned apply the medium doesn't matter

- yes, because and no

- not worse or better, different - getting to see nude models shouldn't be hard to achieve, however rather try to understand whats going on than just copying, which is what photos tend to lead to

- its a medium, PS isn't blocking or boosting you differently than paper and pencil or oil on canvas would

- by doing it

i'm really not sure what exactly you wanted to hear, there are people who think digital art is worse than the classical arts, well there are also people who think modern art is great, in most cases i so prefer some digital paintings to some crappy blue squares on white canvas and such things - don't get me wrong there are abstract works that i like, but in most cases it seems like beeing artsy fartsy does matter more than the actual craft of doing the art.
    Art is a pretty personal thing, its subjective - i guess it's more a matter of would you like to grow as a production artist or as yourself?
    Not saying that both isn't doable you can grow on with own art while progressing as a production artist but the focus is different - I believe.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I was pretty much gonna answer short and to the point like Swizzle, but his presentation is nicer. But these questions all have fairly obvious answers.

However, about the practicing of art. I know a lot of people like to take the "Lock myself in my room for a couple of years and do nothing but work while throwing away any semblance of a social life until I become a super awesome artist" route. But I wouldn't recommend that, it's just unhealthy honestly. What I am saying, is don't let your art practice obsessively consume you.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    thanks for the awesome replies guys!!

o and this info was for my cuz :)
  • master-mune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol of course you should practice more traditionally and definitely practice anatomy!

If you want to be a good character modeler, or even a good person drawer, you need need need to practice anatomy!

A good way to practice is signing up for some life drawing classes, sit somewhere and sketch gesturely people walking by. The only way you do improve is by practicing.

PS...i'm sure other's have a diff. opinion then me but honestly... it can stunt you, a bit. Not a lot but a bit.

when drawing traditionally, you won't have any magic tools to resize, move parts around, etc you have to erase and use your eye and better judgment.

PS also can teach you very very bad drawing techniques.

For example: and anyone reading this should try it out. Pull out your tablet, and doodle. Are you moving just your wrist or your entire arm?

If you're moving just your wrist, that is very bad drawing form/technique and will end up hurting you in the long run (much like bad posture while sitting at a computer can). And everyone i've seen who started out on PS not pencil and paper, had this poor habit and needed to have it broken.

So just be careful! Tablet's are wonderful things, so the last thing you want is developing severe carpletunnel or worse, arthritis at a young age as a new artist :o

(took me a long time to teach myself to sculpt with the tablet on the computer with using my entire arm).