Home General Discussion

Save our forests (UK)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Trees good. Government bad.

Sign the petition please and forward it to your friends. Thanks :D

"The government is planning a massive sell off of our national forests. They could be auctioned and fenced off, run down, logged or turned into golf courses and holiday villages.

We can't let that happen. We need to stop these plans. National treasures like the The Forest of Dean, Sherwood Forest and The New Forest could be sold off. Once they are gone, they will be lost forever.

A huge petition will force the government to rethink its plans. If we can prove how strongly the public are against this, they will have to back down. Please sign the petition now."

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests#petition

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screw the forests, save our studios!

Also, there's already a holiday village in Sherwood Forest. I wouldn't worry about it, there's far too many country bumpkins in this country to ever let such a thing happen.
  • Gav
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Signed.
    Britain is a small place, and after hundreds of years of deforestation there really isn't much left. No excuses to sell off this precious land to profit hungry industries.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    They'll prolly end up doing it anyway.. but signing a petition only takes a few seconds, so done.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    omg hey, another P&T fan. I thought for sure I was the only one around these parts.

All their BS episodes are well wroth watching if you guys haven't.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I second that. They seem to get better and better , though i hear this is their last season on Showtime...hopefully they're just moving to something else that accepts what they are and not something that'll censor the shit out of them.

Though, I guess I'm as guilty of buying into what people tell me - I highly doubt signing a petition would help anything and, if it does, the roots of that are probably antiestablishment/ antibusiness rather than pro motherearth. but whateves - not my country :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    I second that. They seem to get better and better , though i hear this is their last season on Showtime...hopefully they're just moving to something else that accepts what they are and not something that'll censor the shit out of them.

Though, I guess I'm as guilty of buying into what people tell me - I highly doubt signing a petition would help anything and, if it does, the roots of that are probably antiestablishment/ antibusiness rather than pro motherearth. but whateves - not my country :)

There's at least 1 more season coming, not sure about after that.

Penn has a youtube channel where he talks about basically those same things for 5mins every now and then. Worth watching too. As well as the stuff they do with The Amazing Randi, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchins and those.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyler wrote: »
    Thats the kind of attitude that lost us half the countries natural forests already.

Signed. We NEED to keep the forests. It's part of this countries history, culture and it's also important for the environments well-being.

Sorry but that's my view, and I'm entitled to it. I'm not gonna disagree with those of the opposing opinion though.

Great, forests are our 'history, culture blah blah' but when I walk down a street of vacant shops and homeless people, and I hear of record unemployment rates, huge lack of affordable housing, not to mention studio closures, frankly I could care less about Britains 'national treasures'.

I know the money is probably only going on some fat cats fifth Mercedes, but hey, if it generates some jobs and strengthens the tourism industry, adds new housing etc then I'm afraid I'm all for it.

Forests are pretty and all but in a world governed by money and power, a walk in the park is not gonna get you much further than a relaxing Sunday afternoon.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah well maybe we should be looking at the vacant shops, empty high streets and filthy city centres before stripping the countryside and doing hundreds of years of lasting damage. Or maybe we should look into the deeper financial reasons as to why our economy is doing shit at the moment and really have a think about utilizing what's already being wasted. But really don't want to get into this conversation on a games forum. Ooooh look Deus Ex 3 ---->
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Great, forests are our 'history, culture blah blah' but when I walk down a street of vacant shops and homeless people, and I hear of record unemployment rates, huge lack of affordable housing, not to mention studio closures, frankly I could care less about Britains 'national treasures'.

I know the money is probably only going on some fat cats fifth Mercedes, but hey, if it generates some jobs and strengthens the tourism industry, adds new housing etc then I'm afraid I'm all for it.

Forests are pretty and all but in a world governed by money and power, a walk in the park is not gonna get you much further than a relaxing Sunday afternoon.

So economic woes created by private companies (edit: Banks) should be solved by selling public property to those same companies?

If you want your economy to get back on track, stop giving in to the demands of the select few, and start demanding they pay back the debts they've created.

(edited for clarity)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Probably not, but once its gone its gone.

Can't bring it back.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

How does cutting down forests strengthen the tourism industry?

Having a beautiful environment is a value add. Destroying that makes an area less valuable not more valuable.

You could lower real estate values by setting up a grease factory, or tire fire, next to some houses too...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had this weird dream where I went on Polycount, and there were a bunch of threads about art stuff, and nothing about politics at all. Then I woke up in sweat at my desk at work.

Last time I'm having a Chipotle burrito for lunch.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter

I'd say Britain's countryside is the top tourist attraction tbh.

...Why do people get so upset about general discussion happening in the general discussion section?...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    ...Why do people get so upset about general discussion happening in the general discussion section?...

Normally I wouldn't mind it. But it just seems that, like clockwork, someone just has to come in and say something like: "So economic woes created by private companies should be solved by selling public property to those same companies?"

Which when I see that, I feel (emotionally) like I have to respond to it and say something like "wait a second chump, that's BS". But that always leads down a very dark road which I end up regretting.

And really, the whole "corporations are evil", "money is evil", etc, thing is so up in my face 24/7, that places like GA/Polycount used to be a fun place to check in and see some good ol' art, without all the BS.

/endrant

Really, I'm the one who's full of it. I could just not look in the GD section.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Well, the thing is is that sometimes (and increasingly more so lately) general discussion becomes way too general. It's not a place to just rant and be a dick about absolutely anything and it's not a place to start dropping political rants, unless they involve the games industry. While some recent threads (ahem, DW) got out of hand - it was related to our industry...so, it's more acceptable...but when you start talking about "Our government should do this" you'll ALWAYS have someone on the opposing side...which leads into a lame political debate that has no home here.

I'm guilty of being lured into these things and posting dumb shit because I'm an ass ans I COULD just as easily not come here..but really..there's other forums for this specific thing that people interested in the topic can visit. There's also other topics in GD that actually could be valuable and not turn into a giant shit show that CAN be related to my career (workstation talk, studio closures, game releases, game politics, art seminars by Spark, etc.)...so...yeah
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm guilty of trolling these topics a bit with my oftentimes overly opinionated nature, and I would be in favour of them becoming less frequent.

I'm sure there's a sticky or something somewhere that does actually say GD should be for game or art related general topics.
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Normally I wouldn't mind it. But it just seems that, like clockwork, someone just has to come in and say something like: "So economic woes created by private companies should be solved by selling public property to those same companies?"

Which when I see that, I feel (emotionally) like I have to respond to it and say something like "wait a second chump, that's BS". But that always leads down a very dark road which I end up regretting.

Yeah, I've edited that post, I should have been clearer, but it's been a long day...

I wasn't planning on posting in this thread, but the post I originally replied to also had me thinking "wait a second chump, that's BS", and I couldn't resist...:poly122:
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    omg hey, another P&T fan. I thought for sure I was the only one around these parts.

All their BS episodes are well wroth watching if you guys haven't.

Penn and Teller BS shows tend to over-simplified many things so-then the topic become misguided and subjective. :p

it is funny the show alaways started using the same formula/pattern.
    bunch of supporters of some community representing the topic they talk about. interviews to some amateur supporters. in contrary to regular documentary shows, that should be start from introduction, like what the topic is about , how, etc.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    frankly I could care less about Britains 'national treasures'.

damnit and you're from the UK! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw[/ame]

Also, for anyone who doesn't want to read or participate in certain "off topic" threads, just don't click or reply in them.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Tyler wrote: »
    Surely the general discussion board is a place to exchange thoughts on general topics with like-minded people (in some respects). We all mostly work or want to work in the game industry, and it's interesting to discuss topics with people with a similar set of interests.

I see nothing wrong with debate and discussion, so long as it doesnt become unpleasant or personal. Thats why, i think topics like Religion and Politics should be kept to a minimum, but light discussion relating to world news and news that could (in some form) affect our industry is perfectly fine.

If you don't like these discussions, then either don't respond to them (therefore they don't gain any force to stay on the first page) or don't visit the general discussion area at all if your just looking to post or look at nice art.

Here Here!

PC is the only forum I use regularly tbh. So when I come here i'm going to talk about things i'm interested in. If some others aren't interested in them, that's fine. Move along. Nothing to see here.

If people didn't debate and discuss general interest subjects. I think this forum could be quite boring really. Every other thread would be about job losses, hardware issues or cat gifs....oh...wait...

Anyhoo. Sell the Queens Jewellery collection instead of chopping down trees. They must be worth a bob or two. Probably clear half the UK's debt.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    speaking of heritage ... it's COULDN'T care less. COULDN'T

really. For fucks sake. Read back 'could care less' to yourself amd think about what you've said.

and no, it's not the evolution of language or some such shit. It's people being thick. "You should of done this" and so on.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    Gav wrote: »

ocalised forest and woodland destruction and global enviromental scaremongering tactics is not the same thing. While the later is a good point, its not really appropriate to use just this video to voice your view as it is irrelevant.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh... I thought you guys cut them all down for firewood in the middle ages?

You guys need some of these...
    ents.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I see how this works... first you take over half the world, now you want our help.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    danr wrote: »
    speaking of heritage ... it's COULDN'T care less. COULDN'T

really. For fucks sake. Read back 'could care less' to yourself amd think about what you've said.

and no, it's not the evolution of language or some such shit. It's people being thick. "You should of done this" and so on.

Relax, someone beat you to it! ;)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I see how this works... first you take over half the world, now you want our help.

er..no...not really.

anyway. We civilised the half world then gave most of it back. Coz we are nice like that. :)
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    er..no...not really.

anyway. We civilised the half world then gave most of it back. Coz we are nice like that. :)

When you say civilised you mean oppressed right? yer that was pretty generous.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh... I thought you guys cut them all down for firewood in the middle ages?

Well when the Spanish cum'a sailin you gotta act ya know?
  • XenoKratios
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Sorry but that's my view, and I'm entitled to it. I'm not gonna disagree with those of the opposing opinion though.

so what, they destroy the forests and open... more shops, just in a different place? why not populate the ones we've got?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    It can't be helped guys... a society moved by money does not understand about trees. What matters to people is their jobs.

Pollution is another bad thing, and people don't stop using cars and buying more because they are not affected at all. The viral infection called humanity can't be stopped by humans, face it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I really don't get the whole, leave empty strip malls standing and leave vacant lots full of weeds up to their own devices, but lets plow down the few trees we have in order to someday turn them into vacant lots.

Take a trip to opacity.us and anyone of 6 dozen urban decay sites and see what happens to our luxury homes and "big plans" for development. I guess it doesn't matter too much, nature ends up taking it over and dismantling it when we have our backs turned.
    0000006031.jpg
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    They could save a few million squirrels homes but stop wasting paper in offices, seriously do we need a full A4 piece of paper for a one line memorandum?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    It can't be helped guys... a society moved by money does not understand about trees. What matters to people is their jobs.

Pollution is another bad thing, and people don't stop using cars and buying more because they are not affected at all. The viral infection called humanity can't be stopped by humans, face it.

Cop-out!
    :-P
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Yea I really don't get the whole, leave empty strip malls standing and leave vacant lots full of weeds up to their own devices, but lets plow down the few trees we have in order to someday turn them into vacant lots.

It's cheaper to knock down trees and bushes than it is to demolish and clear industrial ruins. IIRC, there are actually a LOT of silly hurdles to recovering these sort of locations. (Your picture, that is.)

Not that I agree with demolishing forests, but... the more you know!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yay!...We win!

"Taking full responsibility for the fiasco, the Environment Secretary was forced to tell MPs: ‘I am sorry, we got this one wrong."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357793/We-got-wrong-Plan-privatise-Englands-forests-abandoned-Spelman-biggest-government-U-turn-far.html#ixzz1EIlOJf2b
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Nay I say the government got it all wrong listening to the bumpkins! sell the forests better still lease the land so that they can build disneyland and universal studios and what ever else !!

and Im serious, country in financial trouble (although not technically in recession) a huge unemployment gap and a even bigger deficit, the country needs the cuts on public spending and major major job creation. Where are those jobs going to come from? There is no manufacturing industry left, financial services sector is saturatedand stunted, and government cant create public sector jobs because thats what got it in trouble in the first place.. bloated goverment on all levels.

Teh sterling pound is at a low which means that it is relatively cheap for people to come to the country as tourists, so make more for them to see or do !

If you think its madness then take a look at singapore and what they have done over there. When space is limited you really have to make the best use of it!

And for the eco warriors, well the forests dont really contribute all that much on a global scale. In the UK the damage is already done. A little more wont make any bloody difference.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    comparing the uk to singapore just doesn't make any sense, try it once your country moves from its 200ish citiziens per square kilometer up to the 6000ish they have, unbelievable, you have no space...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    rolfness wrote: »
    Nay I say the government got it all wrong listening to the bumpkins! sell the forests better still lease the land so that they can build disneyland and universal studios and what ever else !!

and Im serious, country in financial trouble (although not technically in recession) a huge unemployment gap and a even bigger deficit, the country needs the cuts on public spending and major major job creation. Where are those jobs going to come from? There is no manufacturing industry left, financial services sector is saturatedand stunted, and government cant create public sector jobs because thats what got it in trouble in the first place.. bloated goverment on all levels.

Teh sterling pound is at a low which means that it is relatively cheap for people to come to the country as tourists, so make more for them to see or do !

If you think its madness then take a look at singapore and what they have done over there. When space is limited you really have to make the best use of it!

And for the eco warriors, well the forests dont really contribute all that much on a global scale. In the UK the damage is already done. A little more wont make any bloody difference.

Sell off some mountains while we are on.

The government apparently didn't listen to the bumpkins tbh. And they realised it was a really stupid idea to begin with.

The financial problems aren't going to be solved by selling forests.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    At the same time prince Charles are supporting a campain to save Rain Forest.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpmBlvaynU[/ame]

Ok, no problem at all with that, but it seems like "Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else."
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    ok I concede that comparison to singapore is streching it a bit, but the point I was making about that place is the need to generate revenue when singapore's main role as port is becoming less important on a global scale.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    http://wood.lesprom.com/news/43241/

Forests can produce revenue, Finland is a beautiful country with growing forests and their main export is wood related products.