Home General Discussion

Need advice: Art schools in Canada

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
I'm looking at going back to school this year (I've been considering this for the last two or so years actually) and I missed out on enrolling into a course here in Melbourne because I was working in Singapore during the application stage.

I was considering either studying in the UK or in Canada, that way I can study and spend time in a new country as well.

I'm not after a game school, because that's clearly a waste of time and money. I know what game dev production is like considering I've been in the industry for over four years. I'm after a Fine Art course, where I can get instruction and practice in traditional mediums, solidifying my art fundamentals and ultimately get a degree.

I was recommended Sheridan College in Toronto and so far that is the place I'll be sending an application to. But I want to have a few back up applications in case I don't get accepted and such.

Primarily this course: Art and Art History (Bachelor of Arts)

So if any of you Canadian Polycounters have attended a school such as this or know of any schools that come highly recommended. I'd really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks.

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Emily Carr was a place recommended by one of my profs.

http://www.ecuad.ca/
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    School was a total waste of money, i learned everything from forums and tutorial videos. Even tho im still paying art institute back ...
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Sheridan college is very well known and highly recommended for its animation and arts program. I have a friend who went there for art. He had nothing but good things to say.
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    Traditional art?
    Try looking into Emily Carr like what haiddasalami said, really nice school on "Granville Island" in Vancouver, well it's not really an island, but the school is really nice!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    OMFG!

I graduated from Emily Carr! I would not recommend that place to anyone.

My 3D instructor came in about an hour late every class. Completely stoned, and/or drunk, took attendance, then just left.

He was a somewhat 'acclaimed' abstract plaster sculptor, and the faculty felt he was the best equipped to teach a class he didn't care about. The following year, he didn't even bother showing up to the class, and just gave everyone a 'B'.

I had another teacher play that BBC documentary series 'The Shock Of The New' as his class. All we did was show up to that class and watch one episode of that documentary each week, and that's all we did that semester.

In fact, there's a number of teachers who are extreme feminists, women who's daughters who have committed suicide (and subsequently blame ALL men), oppressed individuals who play victim for everything like racism, homophobia, etc. A stable of mentally unstable teachers, some of whom use their teaching as their version of therapy.

The assignments will be completely abstract such as 'I am the Moon', where there is absolutely no work required. You can scribble something in 5 seconds, as long as you can talk up a manifesto on WHAT that scribble means, and how that is your moon that you carry with you.. bla bla bla its your conceptual idea that affects your political viewpoints on blablablabalblabla.

You have to realize what 'Fine Arts' really is, to understand what it means to go to a place like that.
    I has little to do with traditional drawing or painting, and has more to do with creating political manifestos, organizing rallies and going to gallery openings, between your job waiting tables.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses.

nick2730: See I would never go to AI or something like that. I don't need to go to a school where I'll be taught how to use 2D/3D software instead of being taught art theory and fundamentals. I agree, forums and tutes are better suited.
    Which is why I'm looking at art schools and not "game" related schools.

Jacque: Thanks for your post! I had a course that was really similar to that many years ago, where students who did the most vague and obscure work that made no sense to anyone but them were graded far higher than those who actually met the brief criteria.

I guess just to clarify my reasoning for wanting to go back to school:
    • My time in the games industry has been heavily tech art centric. Due to this, my creativity and art has lacked because of it. Yes one can argue that I need to do more personal work. I agree! I just like a structured learning environment and I feel like I need to dedicate more time to improve rather than just an hour here and there.
    • The Australian games industry at present is nearly non-existent. Meaning I have to search outside of Australia. Not only is my folio not up to par, but I don't have a degree. With a degree, the eligibility of getting a work visa for a foreign country is improved.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Sheridan does have a great reputation, especially for its Animation program, but if you're looking for overall Fine Arts, I'd more suggest the Ontario College of Art and Design (http://www.ocad.ca/). Also, Sheridan is located in a city called Oakville, a bit of a distance from Toronto, whereas OCAD is right in the heart of downtown Toronto.

From what I've heard of their programs, research them a bit first. Some will be heavily focused on lots of drawing and art fundamentals, but others may be more of the wishy-washy concept art type. (Although, with almost any Fine Arts degree, you should probably expect a certain amoung of that anyway.)

Good luck with whatever place you choose, and if you make it over here, I hope you enjoy Canada!!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Mezz. I'll definitely check that place out. I am hoping for more of an East Coast Canada locale, so I can slip off to NYC, Boston, Pittsburgh over the weekends or during school vacation.
    But overall, it'll be what the school can offer over the location of the school.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the thread title says Canada but I thought I'd just drop in some stuff on UK since you mentioned it as a consideration.

Chelsea, Royal College of the Arts, and Goldsmiths here in London offer incredible 'proper' art courses. I've got a friend who did his MA in art at RCA and another who is studying at Goldsmiths.

They are all regarded as the best of the best for UK creative courses, and being in London they have close links with a lot of galleries/studios.

The quality of the student work there is phenomenal, and it kinda seems a 'step above' a lot of other trad art courses in England.

The only problem is they are expensive, and competition is high, but I'm sure you've got a folio which should help a bit.

http://www.rca.ac.uk/

http://www.chelsea.arts.ac.uk/courses/11512.htm

http://www.gold.ac.uk/
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! That's definitely on the table, creationtwentytwo. You're right about the price being on the higher side, but it's still not as high as US school prices so that's something.

Keep these coming.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Mezz wrote: »
    Sheridan does have a great reputation, especially for its Animation program, but if you're looking for overall Fine Arts, I'd more suggest the Ontario College of Art and Design (http://www.ocad.ca/). Also, Sheridan is located in a city called Oakville, a bit of a distance from Toronto, whereas OCAD is right in the heart of downtown Toronto.

From what I've heard of their programs, research them a bit first. Some will be heavily focused on lots of drawing and art fundamentals, but others may be more of the wishy-washy concept art type. (Although, with almost any Fine Arts degree, you should probably expect a certain amoung of that anyway.)

Good luck with whatever place you choose, and if you make it over here, I hope you enjoy Canada!!

Same goes for arts and 3d modeling I believe. For Seridan college.

As for AOD or AODT I cant say for sure because they have been after me to join them and learn their delicate game dev program and I was happy for it until someone told me that they are after cash and they dont have good profs or good program.

If you have your pre-reqs done you can go for uhh UOIT's (University of Ontario) game dev program.

VFS Vancouver Film School is another one you should put under consideration.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    VFS and sheridan comes to mind.

i attended Sheridan a few years ago, had a great time and learned a lot. They also have a great job placement program after graduation, well had at least, been a while >__<.

Their 2D arts and traditional animation program is seriously badass seabass.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    If you have your pre-reqs done you can go for uhh UOIT's (University of Ontario) game dev program.

No. This is like game programming.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Alberta College of Art and Design has a Design program. Bioware used to hire 2 prospects/grads every year, but not anymore.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm well... if you'd like something in the east coast, NSCAD comes to mind: http://nscad.ca/en/home/default.aspx (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design). I was a bit tempted to go there myself, but I'll admit I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about the place. From what I've heard, I've heard positive, though. And imo, I think Halifax is a really beautiful and awesome city, so that's a bonus too.

I'm not sure that it's really much closer to the American cities you mentioned than Toronto, but it's definitely a cool one to check out!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Hmm well... if you'd like something in the east coast, NSCAD comes to mind: http://nscad.ca/en/home/default.aspx (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design). I was a bit tempted to go there myself, but I'll admit I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about the place. From what I've heard, I've heard positive, though. And imo, I think Halifax is a really beautiful and awesome city, so that's a bonus too.

I'm not sure that it's really much closer to the American cities you mentioned than Toronto, but it's definitely a cool one to check out!

O man totally forgot about that college. Heard they have some nice painting courses.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    I know the thread title says Canada but I thought I'd just drop in some stuff on UK since you mentioned it as a consideration.

Chelsea, Royal College of the Arts, and Goldsmiths here in London offer incredible 'proper' art courses. I've got a friend who did his MA in art at RCA and another who is studying at Goldsmiths.

They are all regarded as the best of the best for UK creative courses, and being in London they have close links with a lot of galleries/studios.

The quality of the student work there is phenomenal, and it kinda seems a 'step above' a lot of other trad art courses in England.

The only problem is they are expensive, and competition is high, but I'm sure you've got a folio which should help a bit.

http://www.rca.ac.uk/

http://www.chelsea.arts.ac.uk/courses/11512.htm

http://www.gold.ac.uk/

I have quite a few of my uni mates who went to study at the RCA and goldsmiths after our batchelors (postgrad) and all recomend both very highly...
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/ - I'll just leave it here, really useful and feedback is reasonable.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Sheridan is one of the best schools for arts :) Its a great decision to go there - Alot of good people come out of that school to be very successful ;D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. This is like game programming.

I thought it was like everything. Including modeling and mocap.
  • plunq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The academy of realist art in Toronto is a great place to learn traditional techniques in drawing and painting. Their focus is on teaching in the style of 19th century maters like Charles Bargue.

Have a look at some of their student galleries...

www.academyofrealistart.com
  • KateC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KateC polycounter lvl 7
    I'm going to join in on the chorus of people who went to Sheridan, though I ended up going for illustration. When I was attending they also had an advanced illustration course for more experienced artists, though that may have changed since they switched to a four year program about six years ago.

The fine art aspect of the program was great. There was a big emphasis on painting, experimenting in new mediums and life drawing, and there was extra life drawing every evening.

In all honesty though (and with apologies to anyone from) Oakville is probably one of the blandest cities out there.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa! Lots of rad feedback and info in here. Thanks so much, everyone.

Right now it definitely looks like Sheridan will be at the top of my list and with all the extra info I got via this thread, PM, e-mail, MSN, etc I have a few more schools to apply to as well in case I don't get accepted.

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's been really helpful and I really appreciate it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o.o...Damn !!!! Since my question is related to this topic I wont bother making a new thread about this but bump this one and ask.

Sheridan college have http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Bachelor%20of%20Applied%20Arts%20-%20Animation.aspx

and its one city away from my place. Right now I am doing Bachelors of Software systems design at the college that is 2 cities away. Like I have to go all the way to scarborough.

Now that I think that OSAP will cover this 3d animation degree program and I am hoping to get an answer from any student or ex student who have been to Sheridan college.

Ok. Right now I am doing IT degree program in centennial college which does provide the promising end results. That you can get a job in IBM, MS, RBC, TD, etc etc. But anyways my idea was to do that degree program learn 3d at home but I have to learn a whole bunch of business courses that are not even related to that.

Now that I see Sheridan's applied science (animation) degree program I think its going to be better for me to actually learn arts professionally then to spend hours reading books, watching online tutorials, and using ref images.

The problem is I am past a year and changing your field professionally might force you to start over from the scratch. (which makes sense because none of the programs match to overlap or to transfer)

any hoo; now I am thinking that I am better off practicing math and programming at home and taking this program.

My question is. Is it worth transferring to this field knowing that your one year in IT degree program might go to waste?

Second question: What is this degree like?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've already completed four years of school (post high school - three separate courses). I've had over four years of professional games industry experience and now I'm looking at going back to school for another four years.

Losing a year isn't so bad, especially if you want to transfer to something you enjoy more. I personally regret not doing a fine art course earlier.

But have a solid think about it, you may be able to get some things credited if you transfer over. Maybe I'll even see you at Sheridan later this year :P
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you dont punch me xD
    jks

Let us compare:

http://www.centennialcollege.ca/Programs/ProgramOutline.aspx?Program=0103&Calendar=2011-2012

This is what I am taking right now.

http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Bachelor%20of%20Applied%20Arts%20-%20Animation.aspx

Nothing is over lapping. So its going to be the fresh start.

I gotta start talking right now if I am to join them in sept.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    I was personally looking at this http://www.academyofrealistart.com/ since it's in Toronto as well. I heard / read some good things about it
  • Dovaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently completed a Diploma in video game design and development in Ontario, but in my opinion the first thing you should do when choosing a school is go to the school and ask to meet all the teachers, or at least get their names. Then look them up and find out if they have actual Game/Movie (whichever you wish to get into) Industry experience and when.

I found teachers without game experience will teach you the basics, teachers with past experience will teach you the old ways that are slower than the newer techniques which recent game industry teachers would show.

Essentially though... I learned most of my techniques from forums and tutorials that all of those teachers pointed me towards, because the technology is always changing and upgrading. Usually teachers are out of date within a year or 2 of being out of the industry in my opinion.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    ^ wow wow! wish I knew that kind of school earlier!
  • master-mune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can personally say DO NOT ATTEND OCAD (ontario college or art and design)

a terrible terrible place to gain any sort of relevant art schools. It's one of those 'tough' schools in canada to get into, but teach you nothing. Best comparison for OCAD i ever heard was "ocad is like my stuck up artsy but not talented full of himself brother"

Sheridan is better in my opinion in the animation department really. They lost quite a few of their talented art teachers recently.

I still hear tons of good things about sheridan though.

Stay far away from ai programs so academy of art and design programs, or privately owned colleges/universities. They're usually not all they are cracked up to be. ai programs went bankrupt in toronto area due to their lack of skill and lack of teaching their students anything really relevant. (so students stopped going, thus they lost all their monies lol)

I would lean more towards suggesting sheridan or an art college/university, a government funded one.

I heard many good things from schools in vancouver or montreal/quebec area.

Unfortunately, a lot of people now adays go by what they read about a college/university and think ZOMG this one sounds great! then turns out to be crappy.

*cough-ai toronto-cough-ocad-cough*

anyway besides knowing some bad ones through experience, i don't know any strong solid 'good' ones i'd feel comfortable reccommending besides maybe sheridan but again, they did lose a bunch of their staff.

hopefully others have more info on good ones then i. but yea i strongly suggest staying far away from ai programs in toronto (no idea if the vancouver one is decent), ocad, and privately owned schools.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Don't worry, I'm purposely staying away from any and all game related schools. I attended a year of on here in Melbourne about 6-7 years ago and within the first few months I realised how much of a waste of time it was. I didn't go back the following year. This is why I'm specifically looking for traditional art related schools/courses.

Also, it's still good to know which schools are bad just the same as knowing which of the schools are good.

Thanks once again.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Don't worry, I'm purposely staying away from any and all game related schools. I attended a year of on here in Melbourne about 6-7 years ago and within the first few months I realised how much of a waste of time it was. I didn't go back the following year. This is why I'm specifically looking for traditional art related schools/courses.

Also, it's still good to know which schools are bad just the same as knowing which of the schools are good.

Thanks once again.

you mean this?

http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Art%20Fundamentals.aspx

Basically if you are meaning to take such things via college you can take em anywhere doesnt really matter. Its just a matter of practice.