Home General Discussion

Programmers: I need your opinions about a change of job

This is not actually for me, but for my brother. He's a programmer, he has been working in the game industry for more than 3 years. Just a while ago he received a job proposal in another company, he's new payment would be of a 150% of the one he's earning now but he would need to make software for companies instead of video games. He has problems with one of his bosses since a long time, so he is considering leaving his current job for the new one.
My question is: do you think he should do it? He always programmed games but as he can't find any other company that makes video games and he's having troubles in the one his working right now his thinking about quitting.

Any thoughts about the situation will be gladly welcomed.

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like the question pretty much answers itself in regards to the situation:

-150% raise in pay

-Has problems with one of his bosses

I mean.... what else is there to consider??
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    fuk ye, go go go!
    he can program games on his spare time gawd damn eeet! :)
  • Martin Rivas Acosta
    I know the raise is great and having problems with one of your bosses can be a pain. My question is that if you believe it's worth doing something that you don't enjoy that much.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    He seems too caught up in being part of the gaming industry. I understand why that may be cool, but given the state of the industry, I'd shy away from gaming for a bit. Maybe he can return to it later. I'd rather get the extra pay to be honest. Especially if he has student loans, or similar finances, to pay off.

I can tell you that I'm basically in the same situation, except I'm not in the gaming industry. I write software for automotive testing, which has made up a good portion of my career so far. But, my boss is terrible and my pay is below what I believe it should be. I have recently been interviewing with companies, doing code that isn't related to the auto industry. If they match my salary req, I'll be jumping ship, just to get away from the stress of finances and a micromanaging asshole boss.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember, even by moving industry it doesn't necessarily mean he's closing the door to a career in Games...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    there's a ton of game studios out there:
    gamedevmap

now if you're saying he can't find any game studios local then, yes, you have to be prepared to move if you want to be in the game industry.

personally, job satisfaction is worth more to me than a higher wage. Oh, i forgot to mention, I'm an artist so it would be the difference between making awesome 3d worlds and stiff architectural models or boring advertising art. I'm so picky I wouldn't even want to work on iphone or casual facebook games :-P
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    he has been working in the game industry for more than 3 years. Just a while ago he received a job proposal in another company, he's new payment would be of a 150% of the one he's earning now but he would need to make software for companies instead of video games. He has problems with one of his bosses since a long time, so he is considering leaving his current job for the new one.

Seems like its obvious to leave the job for some better job. If hez offered to be paid 150% higher prior to his current salary then its a plus for him.

If he has problems with his current boss and he is being offered a job "regardless of what industry he wants to work for" is not a bad idea. I'd go for it and work my game programming skills at home.

If he wants to stick around for game programming then thats completely up to him.

If I was at his place I'd take that job just to have a better environment and a better pay and keep a look for better game studios who offer the same salary as the one I am being offered.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My brother was in this situation as a programmer in the games industry got offered a job working as a programmer out of the games industry for a financial company. He took the job because the pay was far better and hes earning a lot more than he would working for a game studio.

Although he doesn't enjoy the work as much, he still program's game related things in his spare time. 150% is a nice deal as well, especially if he's not happy with his job at the moment because of his boss. Might as well try the job out, he could love it more than working in the games industry and may never go back! Life has a funny way of taking you down the most unexpected paths so just go with the flow.