Home Technical Talk

[Cinema4D] Infamous Shift-Drag Edges.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
Hi everyone,
probably this is a question wich has been asked too much times, but despite my searches around Google, Polycount, and various other sources, I had not find any definitive answer to this.

So, I had to migrate from 3DS to C4D because I switched from PC to Mac, and I really don't want/like/can use BootCamp or Parallels to run 3DS. So, I'm trying C4D r11.5, wich seems a great software, and I like it a lot. But...

As many of you know, in C4D you can't Shift-Drag edges like in 3DS, and this is quite workflow-destructive for lowpoly/midpoly modelers like me. After some searching around the web, I found two possible solutions:

- Select interested edges, press D for Extrude tool, extrude edges just a little bit, then pick again Move tool and move edges around as needed.
Not bad at all, but not as fast as in 3DS.

- Install EasyClone plugin.
Many posts around the web bring to this plugin (I'm not even sure this plugin will do what I need). I downloaded three versions of it (r11.5, r12, "older"), and no one seems to work. I just put the "EasyClone" folder inside the "Plugins" folder of Cinema 4D, reboot C4D, and in the "Plugins" tab, nothing appears. Am I doing something wrong?

Hope soemone will point me in the right direction. Also, if you can suggest other good software wich is not too far from 3DS for polygon modeling, you are welcome. :)

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want a full featured 3d app, Maya runs on mac I believe, Modo is a great choice if you're looking mainly modeling/uv work, Silo is a good, cheap alternative to Modo as well.

I think Maya is a much worse app for modeling out of the box than Max, IMO Modo has better poly modeling tools than max, just the UI and how the tools work, but Max is much more powerful when you get into complex modifier combinations. Silo is sort of a poor man's Modo, real good modeling tools and use etc.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah +1 to finding an alternative app as EQ suggested.

I used to work in an office that was using Macs, and I personally didn't like C4D at all after using it for a while. Advanced Render is great and it handles CAD files well, and MoGraph/Mocca are good if you use them, but for modeling/animation I don't think it really competes with even Maya, and certainly not Modo as a fully featured package.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Will have to go against the flow here; C4D is a good bit of software, and definitely full featured (EQ? it's used for TV, games and Movies quite often http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema4d#Use_in_industry).

You just have to get used to the way it works, like any 3D software.

I'm another 3DS -> C4D migrator. No real choice about it, and now I'm glad it was C4D I was lumbered with as theres a lot of powerful tools under the hood.

I forget my lowpoly modelling workflow in 3DS 8 but one feature I miss is being able to draw verts where ever I like.

I find that if you change your workflow a little, you can speed things up. Good things to investigate are the cut and extrude tools. They actually have a myriad of settings which you can tailor to your preference. Get used to Extruding lines (edges) - its the fastest way to make new polygons. Get used to selecting edges in the different ways offered.

Get used to pressing V for all the best polytool types submenu while modelling.

As with anything, watching a bunch of tutorial videos on youtube will expose the fastest way to lowpoly model in C4D

Animation in C4D still confuses me to the point of hair pulling though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken, I was saying that Maya is a full featured alternative to max, in addition to C4D, whereas Modo/Silo are more modeling focused.

However, C4D does have quite limited use in the games industry, and is easily low on the list of full featured apps if you want to do current gen, bakes, normals, etc. More in the Lightwave/Blender/etc range than the Maya/Max, or even XSI range, as far as quality support and tools for shaders and proper bakes, maybe its on par with XSI?

When we think of things like:

Support for viewport shaders, and quality, free shaders readily available
    Quality baking tools, with proper synced up tangent basis display
    Exporters/Support for a wide variety of game engines

C4D would rarely enter the conversation.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    C4D + viewport shaders = fail but if you have an engine you are using to preview your game models in then C4D has some pretty good modelling and texture painting tools.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The biggest problem I've got with it (other than the lack of decent game workflow related features mentioned above) is the new pricing structure.

When I bought it a few years back (R9 I think it was), it was a simple choice of 3 versions. I just bought the package I needed, and the DWG/VectorWorks plugin which was like £50, but now you have a bunch of different modules which you have to purchase additionally. If I was looking at purchasing now it would be a deal breaker because I'd have to pick up the package designed for Arch-Viz just for DWG support which costs an extra £1000 for a lot of extra stuff I'm not interested in; content libraries, 'walkthrough camera tool', NPR etc.

Also not including GI in the base package is just silly. That basically means nobody will purchase the Prime version unless they're using another software renderer.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the precious comments, these are just what I need.

Having all this in mind, I think I'm going to try Modo as soon as I can. And why not, Maya... I'm pretty sure I will find a faster workflow in them rather than in C4D.
    There are a bunch of simple-yet-useful features wich made 3DS inestimable to me, and wich I would love to find in Modo, or Maya:
    - Shift-Drag edges (can't live without it, used bilions of times)
    - Good control over UVW maps (especially when sticking vertexes to map pixels, for small textures)
    - Very easy Skeleton-Skin creation and setup, with full and fast control of vertex weights.
    - Easy to use Compound Lofts (really useful when creating racetracks)
    - Overall easy to learn controls... Or maybe it's because I worked on 3DS for quite a long time.

After all, what I really need is just what you would expect when doing 3D models/textures/animations for NDS and iPhone games. 3DS was perfect for it... Maybe, sooner or later it will come to Mac too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton wrote: »
    - Shift-Drag edges (can't live without it, used bilions of times)

Z in modo, X is extrude as well(for use on faces instead of edges)
    - Good control over UVW maps (especially when sticking vertexes to map pixels, for small textures)
    I've never had to do anything like this, possibly look at grid snapping for uvs, dunno. Modo's uv editor in general is much better than Max/Maya, IMO.
    - Very easy Skeleton-Skin creation and setup, with full and fast control of vertex weights.
    Modo doesn't have anything for rigging(atleast not soft deformation), you'll want to look at Maya for this, as the people who tend to like maya the most are animators
    - Easy to use Compound Lofts (really useful when creating racetracks)
    Extruding via a spline, max does this better than any other app IMO. Since Modo doesn't use a modifier system its a "once its done its done" tool, but it can be done, not sure about maya, may be the same.
    - Overall easy to learn controls... Or maybe it's because I worked on 3DS for quite a long time.

I think most everything is going to seem strange compared to max, just the way it is. I feel modo is a pretty simple and easy to learn app tho. Maya will be pain.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will throw in another vote for Modo, but definitely try before you buy it's really different from Max.

If you do go the Modo route and you want a way to do "easy Skeleton-Skin creation and setup, with full and fast control of vertex weights." Then you'd best go buy a copy of Messiah before it's too late, though I've heard the Mac port isn't as good as the Windows native version. It does export FBX to Unity so I'm thinking it'll probably work with UDK as well.

There's also Blender and I've heard the new 2.5 series is great at animation.

EDIT:

For the extrude edge thing I use Seneca's "bevel little" script (get the newest version here) though tying it to shift + edge selection might kill other Modo controls unless you do some serious hotkey setup tweaks.

There's also someone currently selling a version of 301 (which I think would be essentially 302 because of the free upgrade) and a cheaper way to get 501 though check with Luxology to make sure the seller is legit first and buy at your own risk of course.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, right, FBX animation export is another vital feature to me, since I work a lot with Unity engine.

So, no skinned animations with Modo? What a pain... Looks like every software lacks at least one crucial feature wich Max, even if not perfectly done, had. I never supposed moving from PC to Mac could be so painful when talking about 3D CG.
    I wonder why Max is not natively compatible with Mac, while Maya is... Autodesk secrets.

I seen some Modo videos, and yes, it's really different from Max or C4D, as Ben Apuna said. Right by now I could consider also trying Maya: after a brief look at the Autodesk site, Maya appears to have very similar tools to 3DS.
    Does Maya meet that 5 crucial points I listed before?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    @EQ you're right ofcourse, C4D rather lacking in the shader area. Actually quite poor for game modelling when compared to max. Connects to Unity really well though, one ace in it's deck. Maya does too by all accounts.

Of course the ultimate solution would be for Autodesk to release max on macs.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just changed the title of the topic to better fit the discussion we are about. :)

Also, I managed to try Maya. It's extremely complex...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya is a programing tool designed by programmers for programmers. I honestly would never voluntarily use it for modeling. =P However it fits your needs quite well, and is one of the two main apps used for production, so its good to learn it.

Ask some maya user how to do a common thing that is a basic feature in max/modo, and they'll say "Oh its easy, just write a script/plugin for that!"

You should still try Modo out, its one of those apps that you can pick up in an hour, or at worst a couple evenings.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Ask some maya user how to do a common thing that is a basic feature in max/modo, and they'll say "Oh its easy, just write a script/plugin for that!"
    Hahaha, sweet! :D
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    You should still try Modo out, its one of those apps that you can pick up in an hour, or at worst a couple evenings.
    Indeed it is, I really appreciate its interface, and could be almost perfect, but... The main problem is all about animations, as you said before. What I really need is a simple bone sistem, with standard IK, vertex weights and some kind of constraints (noise, Look-At). Nothing more to be honest... I never used more than this on Max, when animating characters for NDS games.

And what about Lightwave?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't used lightwave in many years, really since Modo came out. It was pretty bad when I switched(didnt even have edge selection) but I think it has gotten much better. Interface/workflow wise lightwave is going to be similar to Modo, as Modo was created by a bunch of guys who broke off from Newtek and formed Luxology. Lightwave would let you do rigging and animation.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still stand by Modo + Messiah.

Though there is one thing you can't do with this combination, which is explicitly edit your vertex normals. You'll have smoothing groups (Modo 501) just not a way to make nice soft looking foliage planes. I think it could be done with a script but as yet no one has written one (it's on my list of things to do one I understand the math behind it...).

If you didn't buy Messiah while the deal was on, there's also Cheetah3D for animation.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, Cheetah3D. I really forgot about it.
    Well, looks like I'm going to try Demo and Trials of every single 3D package that can run on Mac... O_o

At the moment I'm following some basic Modo tutorials, and I have to say it's really efficient. Polygon modeling is quite easy and fast, I like the way everything is organized. And the help sistem is very funny too:
    Did you really just use the Help system to get help on the Help system? This may cause all matter to simply fold into itself. Wait for it... nope. OK. We're good.
    :D
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well I'll join EQ & Ben and say one thing, Modo=Win.