Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Halo Revamped

Oh by chance I find a place where there are Game artists! I am looking for someone who can Texture and Unwrap models for my game, Halo Revamped.

I have a team of around 5 people already(we are trying to keep it manageable), and a fairly active website, as well as our own moddb page.

The game itself is a Halo FPS for PC and PSP(Mainly PSP). Our PC version is just as updated as our psp version. The game has been in progress for a few months already, and we are working on the sequel(Because this is technically Revamped 2.)
This is our team:
Mexicouger:
-Leader
-Mapper
-Part time texture artist
-Lead Coder
-Semi-modeler

Tom-5:
-Mapper
-texture artist(Maps)
-Modeler

Norman:
-Lead modeler
-Animator(Although we could use a second one due to the sake of speed)

Sarge:
-Modeler

Now even though we have alot of modelers, alot of them are lazy. Norman, and I are the most active.

All our gamecode is basically finished up to this point. I can't continue until we get some models.

So lastly, Our positions needed:
-Texture artist
-Animator
-Modeler

Thanks,
Mexicouger

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I am pretty sure that Microsoft is not ok with you even trying to exploit the Halo Universe. Even more so if you were to even try to put it on a rival hardware makers system.
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am very aware of the Content usage rules. I read them multiple times, and I am allowed to use The Halo name, as well as Halo content, as long as I put this:

Halo Revamped was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from Halo, © Microsoft Corporation.

That is the rules. I follow them, and I am ok. I am not the only one who has created a Halo on the psp. One of the most popular psp homebrew games is called Solitude(A halo 1 styled game).

Another rule, was to not sell the game if you are using any content. The content we are using is the name, and thats it. We don't care to sell the game anyways.

I am not a noob coming into this, I have done my research, I suggest you do the same
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Mexicouger wrote: »
    I am not a noob coming into this, I have done my research, I suggest you do the same

Here's my 2cts, it might just be a good idea not to flame the people who are trying to help you.
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a point, but I want to make it clear to people that this game has its ducks in order. We are just awaiting a texture artist.

Also, we are entering a competition, The genesis psp competition. Our game is due by May, and our team is splitting the winnings of we win.

Here is our website: http://revamped.forumotion.com/
    Here is our official Moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/games/halo-revamped
    Here is the competition we are entering: http://wololo.net/genesis/

Again, if you can texture and UV a model, we would like you to join us. Man, a texture artist came to join us and disapeared, I wonder what happened.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe you flamed him too...Did you even notice that the responder is a moderator?
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, Guys, Guys... This is getting off topic.

Is this game legal by Microsoft: Yes, we have followed their rules

Is this game made for free: Yes, it is non profit, and members do it as an art.

Are we still looking for someone to texture: Yes

So please stay on topic. If you are not willing to help us, then I suggest not posting in this thread
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mexicouger.

You're game isn't non-profit. You just said yourself you are entering a contest and if you win then you are going to split the winnings. Wouldn't that then be a profit or gain?

I think you are not quite understanding the documents you have "looked" into.

So here are a few KEY things you may have missed, and I have looked into it myself way back when this was first announced. (In the rules below keep a close eye on number 3. I put it in bold for you so you could easily understand it.)

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Community/Developer/Rules

The rules boil down to this: You can use the following games:
    -Age of Empires (all versions)
    -Flight Simulator (all versions)
    -Forza Motorsport (all versions)
    -Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3 (when released)
    -Kameo
    -Perfect Dark Zero
    -Project Gotham Racing (all versions)
    -Rise of Nations (all versions)
    -Shadowrun
    -Viva Pi
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, What content have we used that belongs to the Halo Franchise rather than the name, which we can fling from the game itself and it would be not affiliated with Halo.
    We are not "abusing" Halo, nor has anyone else who has liked the game and wanted to make a remake of it.
    All our content is Custom made by ourselves. Code, graphics, models, textures, sounds, etc.

If you would take the time to visit our moddb page or website, you would notice right then an there, the banner which says:
    Halo Revamped was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from Halo, © Microsoft Corporation.Halo Revamped was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from Halo, © Microsoft Corporation

And if this contest we are entering is such a big deal that it voids Those rules, we can fling the name Halo, and it we won't have to abide by any of those rules. OUR WORK IS CUSTOM MADE, NOT RIPPED.
    And I didn't just start this game because of the competition. This game was going on quite a few months before the competition was even known.

Anyways, if you guys are just complaining about a super small game, being made in our own free time and for fun, then Just lock this topic. I found a clear answer, and that is all I was wondering.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still don't think you understand what you are allowed to do and what you are not.

At any point a C&D letter can be issued. Microsoft has the right to protect their IP from infringement. Whether you are making money or not. They do not want half assed halo games running around on the internet soiling the good name.

Using their designs for characters, weapons, names, etc is Halo specific. It is pretty clear it is. You can't just drop the Halo name and think you are golden.

Fan art is fun and ok but making a full game based off their IP is not. Anyone on these boards will tell you this.

Perhaps if you are so set on this you should write to Microsoft and 343 and see exactly what they have to say and make sure you include a link to all your work thus far.

I'm pretty sure I know what the results will be.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You cannot legally release ANYTHING with the Halo name and likeness and earn profit from it. There are no loop-holes. There are no ways around this. It doesn't matter at all if you've remade the artwork 100%. If it says Halo and looks like Halo and you've made money off of it, you'll going to be so far bent over a barrel by MS you'd be lucky to walk away with a limp.

Seriously, do your own creative thing and win the contest. There is no creative challenge in this so why even bother?
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should maybe check this game out. They have been making this game for over 2 years now without any problems. My game is way smaller then that game.
    http://www.moddb.com/games/solitude

If you didn't know any better, you would think it was Halo 1.

Another thing is Guns are Guns. We can change the texture up a bit and call it whatever we want too. There isn't necesarily a Link to Halos universe unless we directly point it out(And beings that our game hasn't been being made that long and doesn't have a storyline at all). We are safe to enter the competition, going in without any Link to Halo. The game started out as just "Revamped" Anyways.

These guys are so popular that they got interviewed for the game.
    http://www.moddb.com/games/solitude/features/halo-solitude-exclusive-interview
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You seem to know what you're doing so don't let us stop you.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I clicked on the link for that Solitude game and I can honestly say I would never, in my life get that mixed up with Halo 1.

I think I could talk in here till I am blue in the face and it would do no good and as far as Guns are guns while that is true the designs in Halo are very recognizable and are not real world type weapons so therefore you can't just copy shit and make a few changes.

I did my research too and it looks like you are a young kid. That's cool you got drive and want to do something but understand that people that are commenting in here know what they are talking about and are trying to help you out, but take it for what it is.

Adam is right. Halo is Microsofts biggest gaming IP. You would literally get bent over and raped so hard that a plasma blast to the nuts would be a better alternative.

Why not just come up with your own ideas, story, universe. Why copy?
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this is my Second game and I am mainly using it to test my knowledge of coding QC, and a bit of C.
    Halo is the game I play the most, so I know the features up and down.
    I also am not a little kid. I am 17(as of today), and I feel fairly confident on my knowledge.
    All in all, I don't think I am going to enter the competition at this point. Most games made for the PSP(Homebrew) Are unoriginal, beings that everyone is learning more and more. I have been working with Quake for 2 years now, But I am not too Knowledged on all the Legal information that has to go into making a potentially free game in my spare time. This contest was more of a driver for the team to get more content finished and in-game. Money was not our main focus for joining.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Most games made for the PSP(Homebrew) Are unoriginal

Doesn't mean it's okay to pull a lemming. These are also unknowledged kiddies with no better awareness of legalities, following popular hearsay myths like the stupid 'if u change 1 leter your saved they cant sue' - come on, they MODDED THEIR PSPS to play this trainwreckian crap (most likely for high school self-esteem compensating), so what would they know about legality? The sudden PSP Quake 'portable' game cloning is one of the worst things to ever happen for the modding scene since endless amounts of dead DBZ mods for Half-Life.

Why not make something original? It doesn't matter what your age is. It doesn't matter how much you know about Halo. It doesn't matter how long you've worked with Quake for (my own experience is 14 years, and that means jack shit here). You can not excuse unauthorized exploitation of a popular recognizable IP to scrounge up artists for free so you can win a badly contest for a slacker's life savings.

Remember, this is Polycount. If you had a request for a 'texture artist for Giant Spinosaur Pissfest 2012 game for windows', it'd look definitely better on someone's resume than say a fishy 'lead artist for psp homebrew halo game'.
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Our decision on our game is our Decision. We are able to make whatever we want to. After this game, I am going on to a more original based game, based on several Books I wrote.

All in all, we decided that we aren't entering the competition until we have Made everything ourselves(sounds, music, and some HUD pics). Once we do that, as I've researched, Then we are free to enter the competition. We are adding our own original Ideas into the game as well.

Original games take more planning and structure to make. If we make a game we like, then we have a path and goal pre-set. Original games just take more experience, and that is what I am aiming to do, gain experience, and Work on my original game(From the books I wrote about a Boy named Niko).

And just because it isn't up to the original games Quality, doesn't mean it isn't an enjoyable game in itself... and FYI, The Quake boom of psp modders was a good thing to happen. It teaches people things that they would most likely have never learned... Stop viewing the glass half empty, rather then half full.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    All in all, we decided that we aren't entering the competition until we have Made everything ourselves(sounds, music, and some HUD pics). Once we do that, as I've researched, Then we are free to enter the competition. We are adding our own original Ideas into the game as well.

If you actually read what Jesse and Adam wrote you would realize that even if you make everything in the game 100% by yourselves you still cannot profit from it since you legally cannot use the Halo name or likeness in anyway without consent from Microsoft.

You keep saying you did your research but Jesse linked you a document that clearly shows how you can never enter said contest or any other contest for that mater. It doesn't matter what you believe because what you believe is wrong, Jesse proved it with the legal documentation. It doesn't matter if you make every gun slightly unique, if you use the name Halo and the game looks like Halo your in the wrong.

PS: I love how you use illegal homebrewing as a defense of why your illegal Halo game is cool. Ha
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    I can't tell from your last post if by saying you're going to be creating all assets on your own that you're also dropping the halo from the title or not. Reading over the Game Content Usage Rules it seems pretty clear that they do no apply to making a game based on one of those specified games. What they're encouraging it machinima, videos, cool things etc. The whole page is worded very casually and sure a game could potentially fall under 'cool things' but I'm sure if MS did know about your game they would not approve. Also, the rules seem to have changed even over the last 4 days.

Also also, original is always better. If you guys do happen to make something great on your own using your own IP then you have all the options available to you to do whatever you want with it.
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game Originally didn't have the word Halo in the name. It was just 'revamped'. Everyone refers to the game as Revamped.

We just decided that whatever. We are buckling up and making everything ourselves, without reaching out to anyone else. Yea, it will be harder, But what else can we do. I think none of you really even said a thing about a texture artist job. You all just flamed on how this game isn't original.

Well the Competition is still going on, and people are making games that they like(Making all their own assets and using a custom name with some custom ideas of course). So I still may enter the competition, beings that over 95% of our current content is custom made. I have asked them legal questions as well, and I got responses that if I just create all the content myself, then I can name the game whatever I like and use it. So that is what we are doing.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still don't get it. So let me make this clear.

YOU CAN NOT RECREATE, COPY, RIP, CLONE, OR ANYTHING ELSE ANYTHING HALO RELATED FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL GAIN. PERSONAL GAIN BEING CONTESTS, WEB CONTENT FOR SALE, GAMES, ETC.

You do not have a right to re-create anything Halo related even if everyone on your team remade 100% of all the assets. That is how it is. Halo is owned by Microsoft, and it is their right to protect that IP.

To be honest no one on this board is going to be interested. You guys are hacking PSPs to play homebrew games and you are straight up ripping off Halo. Do you think any of that sits well with the artists on this board that make their living off this stuff.

I'll tell ya what. Go ahead. Write a letter to Microsoft and ask them what their stance is on this and see what they say. I can promise you that they will tell you to knock it off and stop any work you are doing now. Not only because you are going way above copyright infringement but because you are also trying to put their granddaddy of all IPs on a competing companies hand held unit.

If they write you back and say oh yeah no problem. Shit looks great, than I'll admit I was wrong and you were right.

BUT since A. This looks like crap. and B. Microsoft will never say that. I am not too worried.

Seriously. Get a damn original idea and don't rip off the people that worked hard to create what is already there.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    "I am not a noob coming into this, I have done my research, I suggest you do the same'

This is a line for the ages.

No one has really flamed you. Jesse (and everyone else) has given you honest, truthful advice and even showed you the proof. People aren't hating on the lack of originality, people make fan art and choose things from various universes to make all the time. The difference being it's with no intention to gain any sort of monetary compensation.

Just because you model a needler from scratch doesn't mean you are now free to do what you want with it. It's easy to mistake how grey the whole issue is but it isn't worth infringing on an IP, especially when your considering a competition that has possible compensation. While Microsoft may just look at you as a kid having some homebrew fun and ignore it, it's probably not worth the risk.

No one is trying to discourage you from making awesome stuff and learning game development, were just trying to give some wise advice since copyright issues are bigger than ever these days. Plus focusing on something more unique might work in your favor to attract artists anyways.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think this thread is going anywhere, and I don't see anyone wanting to join this project after this, admins any chance of deleting this ? lol
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny wrote: »
    I don't think this thread is going anywhere, and I don't see anyone wanting to join this project after this, admins any chance of deleting this ? lol

Agreed. We have a set plan and are following it, and are waiting to see other contest entries before we decide to possibly enter. Enough said. Please Delete this now admins?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Mexicouger: ok your 17 and have aspirations beyond your sphere of competence, it's normal.

The truth is that at 17 you cannot possibly spearhead a massive project effectively without some experience in ALL corners of production. You need to be a jack of all trades to be a good manager.

The best thing you could ever do is join an existing mod that is going somewhere. If you like programming, do that and along the way ask if you can muck in on other activities like modelling, rigging, animation, level building and lighting. Once you have a feel for truly what is involved in making a WHOLE game you will be able to develop an original concept that is realistic in it's approach. That could be ten years from now or more but not today.
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, Our project is making good progress. This game IS a whole game. We are creating maps, Textures, sounds, Code, Sprites, HUD graphics, etc.

Yea, yea, I don't know all the different aspects of it, But I think out of my 2 years experience, I have gained alot. I am not shooting for the stars with Revamped. I don't tell people things that we can't do. I have recently gotten into Programming in C, and i really enjoy it. Coding is my thing I think.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, microsoft will shut down your mod:
    MS Shuts down Halogen mod

a post by a Bungie employee at the time:

"I would recommend, for your sake and the sake of your friends and family, that you do not offer legal advice on a professional level.

There are two common misconceptions about intellectual property rights that you see amongst fans almost any given game:

1. I'm not using the assets directly from the game, so I'm not stealing intellectual property.

2. I'm not trying to make a profit, so I'm not stealing intellectual property.

The first is a misconception, in that it only takes the second half of the term "intellectual property" into consideration. The word "intellectual" implies that the ownership extends beyond merely the literal assets themselves, but to the idea (for lack of a better word) tied to the assets. If I say "The Master Chief is copyright for Microsoft and Bungie," I'm not referring to just the model and textures. I mean the Master Chief, the character written to be the protagonist of the video game series Halo, and everything that makes him who he is."

So, before the usual "omg, so, if I make a guy with green armor Microsoft can sue me" complaints arise, let me point out that "a guy in green armor" is not "Master Chief from Halo." There's a difference.

The second item I mentioned is the issue of profit. Generally, people believe that, so long as they're not trying make money by selling their work, they fall within the bounds of fair use. This is, in fact, not true. Ultimately, regardless of whether you are selling your work or not, you're still distributing someone else's intellectual property. Whether or not it is in their best interests to stop you is entirely up to the owner of said property."

I'm pretty sure the game content usage rules posted by MS is for Machinima like Red Vs. Blue:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLCnyqW_E0[/ame]
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin knows what I'm talking about and what others have said but mexicouger still continues to not listen to anything industry professionals with years of experience keep telling him.

I tried at first to offer words of wisdom and let him know that hey this isn't a good idea and you shouldn't do this. However, he has proven in this thread to be nothing but ignorant and thinks he knows more about the ins and outs of intellectual property, development, and other factors surrounding this than our entire community and will continue to make his shitty Halo rip-off despite having all the facts layed out before him.

I personally say Good Luck. You will need it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Why would anybody want to make Halo psp in the first place, never mind ANOTHER one. As if one stripped down version isn't enough?

Also, the screen on his site make me laugh. Not only did they feel the need to fake some of them (lol shadows) but they also clearly use original halo texture content in some form...

Why on EARTH would anybody think this LEGAL?
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin knows what I'm talking about and what others have said but mexicouger still continues to not listen to anything industry professionals with years of experience keep telling him.

I tried at first to offer words of wisdom and let him know that hey this isn't a good idea and you shouldn't do this. However, he has proven in this thread to be nothing but ignorant and thinks he knows more about the ins and outs of intellectual property, development, and other factors surrounding this than our entire community and will continue to make his shitty Halo rip-off despite having all the facts layed out before him.

I personally say Good Luck. You will need it.

You are 100% wrong there. We made all our textures, sounds, graphics, code. Everything.
    The Shadows, are in fact, real. They were taken in-game(besides the blender shots).
    We can make a suit, apply it to a person, and it won't have anything to do with Halo. There is no copyright on futuristic Armour. We can make a Pistol and have it be Custom.
    And listen everyone, I have taken into account alot of what you said, whether you think so or not. My outlook on this game has widened. I have been playing minecraft alot lately, and been truly inspired to make a sandbox game(not like minecraft). I really want to start coding something original at this point, and for the PC.

I also don't appreciate you calling the game, "Shitty". It is a different game, and can be in no way industry standard. But anyways, We are taking in ideas of something more original
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are 100% wrong there.

There is no copyright on futuristic Armour.

Clearly, you still did not comprehend the posts and you do not understand IP law. At this point, you're running a broken record of excuses. It's a lost cause for gauging any art request interest by now if you can't listen to the generous advice here.

p.s. never underestimate microsoft's lawyers. You are weaseling the machanima usage rules and treading foul territory with it. We tried to intervene, but... hey, since you refuse to listen... good luck fighting the fight you can't fight, pal
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I have already decided to start Learning Gl, and try to work from there. I just don't want to drop yet a second game.

And Like I said, all that content was custom made, not ripped, like he was implying. If Microsoft stirs up trouble over a free, fan game, then they have some major issues. I don't understand why my game is suddenly the target, when 98% of the games in the PSP section are fan games of a retail game.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Microsoft stirs up trouble over a free, fan game, then they have some major issues.

It's not major issues. It's a legal requirement to defend their IP. They don't care if your game is free or not, it's still unauthorized use of their biggest gaming IP.
    I don't understand why my game is suddenly the target, when 98% of the games in the PSP section are fan games of a retail game.

That's because they don't have the nerve to come here. All they know about 'polycount' is that it's a $60 bag of virtual cool stuff. If they bothered, there will be the same result, same legal ignorance, same hearsay from the uninformed, same motive. That other Halo PSP game sucks, that Left4Dead "portable" sucks, that Nazi Zombies Portable sucks, that Portal Portable (fail) sucks, that Call of Duty Portable sucks, etc. it's all facepalm. Even worse, they're all illegal in more than one way (closing source, exploiting shareware Quake data, etc).

All this came about because some guy used fitzquake to make a game inspired by Turok and Goldeneye for his PSP. The blatant game copying makes Gameloft look like the king of originality, and you said this was a good thing.

Of all these 'psp games' i've only seen one original one called Bulletz, and that's considered 'gay' because of it. Originality is gay now?
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think originality is a wonderful thing. I have alot of creativity that I want to express, and I don't know why I decided to start making a clone of a game.

I think The PSP Quake comunity needs to know about the legal troubles that lurk on the thin wall beside them. It might collapse someday, and all the games could get into some trouble.
    I was inspired when I saw Arkages Chasm. I really want to start making something on a custom made engine(Long ways, but you gotta start somewhere).

I have also come to realize that the PSP is a limited platform, and Will limit how much I can learn with coding. If I start from a better platform such as the PC, I have more room to grow.

All in all, this was good to see some true legal viewpoints.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Just so I'm clear... This doesn't use either the original textures in some form, or screenshots of them edited into new files:

snap108.jpg

Or this (Which will how poor the weapon is likely not but that HUD on the weapon is a bit suspect):

snap1110.jpg

This one could go either way, so I reserve judgement:

snap122.jpg

But if these shadows are real, I'll eat my own arsehole:

Concept.jpg

Just make an original IP? You will have shit loads more freedom to do ANYTHING you want, trust me. As a guy who started out modding Q2, I love the freedom I have now to do whatever the hell I want.

EDIT: Also, I love how we are dicussing the legality of making Halo for the PSP and ignoring the fact you have to, you know, hack the PSP in the first place for it to even work :D
  • Mexicouger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is Revamped 1. It was a Solitude mod I was working on a while ago. The last image was a concept art I made. The other photos were of some gameplay. The textures were hand created by the talented, Flaming Ice team. If you did some research on Solitude, you would see the long 43 updates they made, showing their progress through out the game.

The weapon icons were used from a website where a guy gave them. The crosshairs were all done by me from scratch. Revamped 1 was all about codework, and seeing how far the Code could be taken.

The PSP Hacks comunity is pretty big, and there is a competition going on right now where many people are entering(I am not of which). The PSP has been likely Standardized as a Hacked system, And Sony is fully aware of it, Yet they continue to make games for it. No action has been taken by Sony towards the PSP(OR little at that). There is a huge debate going on right now with the PS3, and sonys trying to bust all the PS3 Hackers. Their standpoint is that its their system, and they can do what they want with it. I don't know if I fully stand behind that viewpoint, as when you goto use the system, you agree to Sonys terms of use(or it may be the EULA, I am not entirely sure).

But we are getting past what I was telling you guys. I am learning GL, and seeing how far I can go with it. Then I want to make something simple.