Home Technical Talk

Maya UV's Jumping back

GavinUnit
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GavinUnit polycounter lvl 14
Alright, this is just driving me NUTS, and I can't figure out the cause.
I've had this happen for quite a while (not sure if it's just since I upgraded versions or not tho...)
I'll be moving around my UV shells and scaling/placing them into 0-1 space (when I'm grouping things I make sure to keep them within the 4 grid sections of the UV editor in order to try and reduce problems), but then randomly somtimes when I go and undo a move or something that I just did, seemingly RANDOM UV shells will just enter a wormhole and shoot back in time and be where they were when I first opened the file (and yes, I'd have saved multiple times since).
This is SOOOO frustrating! I usually encounter it at least once every time I go to layout UV shells for a model.

I'm using Maya 2010 64Bit

Anyone else have the problem? Any solutions?

Replies

• GavinUnit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and I should note that sometimes I can select the shells that shot back, move them, then undo that move and then they'll shoot back to where they were supposed to be. This doesn't always happen tho. maybe 50/50 chance.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i had this problem and it was due to a newer nvidia driver, i rolled back to an older one and it fixed my issue.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I've had this problem for 10 years in Maya, I've never fully tracked it down but it seems to occur only during certain operations in the uv editor.
  • GavinUnit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arshlevon - Hmm. I'll have to look into that further, thanks a bunch!

Malcolm - Hey, a Vancouver-ite! Me too :) One of my teachers, Gord, works at Big Park as well, he's a world builder (I snooped your profile, that's just what I do...)

I suppose it's nice to see I'm not alone with this problem. The only thing I can think to try to do to minimize the problem is staying in the 4 grid space and constantly delete history of my objects while UVing (if that even makes any difference). Also, saving lots and lots of iterations while UVing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yea this problem is mind-boggling, used to have it back when I used Maya. I know I sometimes use to be able to reopen the file, split all the verts and then merge them, and that would stop them from moving back. It only worked some of the time though.
  • GavinUnit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teri - I try to do it as much as possible. I've never kept track to see if it happens when I haven't FT and DH in a while. I'll watch for that next time.

Predator - Damn, seems like any possible solution is always 50/50 chance of working. It's frightening just thinking about it. I've never had it happen while I was texturing, but if it did I think I'd just weep. Oh well. Such are the ways of Maya.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It's interesting to hear that several people have encountered this. It's never happened to me as far as I can recall with any version of Maya. My first thought was that you might be working on a different UV set or something, but that doesn't fit with the other symptoms you've mentioned.

Maybe keep an eye on the UV border edges and make sure your UV islands are welded together. And maybe run a Cleanup on the mesh, and Combine it with another object ("box trick") to put it under a new transform node and start fresh. Might also try exporting the object into a new scene.

Hope you find a solution.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, as haikai said. The box trick or exporting it out and in usually solves it for me. Don't have this problem that often. I think it happend like 5 times under a span of four years or something.. I know it happened quite allot to my classmates though.

Have the mesh messy topology and shit like that? No zero-faces?

Do you animate the objects and have constraints on them? Old deformers and transfered attributes can fuck things up fairly hard to.
  • GavinUnit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'll keep those tricks in mind if things ever start getting too hairy. They sound promising.
    The model I'm working on right now has no rig and is, as far as I know, completely free of any oddities and funky geo. I try to get the model as clean as possible before moving on to UVs.

Thanks for the helpful comment! I'm glad we got a discussion going on this.
  • GavinUnit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, funny story, just now I went in after baking my AO, and sure enough a handful of my shells have been scrambled back in time. I'm going to try exporting and importing.
    Do you guys mean export as OBJ, or just importing into a fresh scene?

I think I'm going to DL 2011 (I get it free for 3 years as a student apparently, how nice). I doubt that will solve anything, but might as well try it.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    .OBJ or .ma.. Can't really think of anything else that could give this affect :/
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm having the problem consistently when using the layout uv's function, I was using layout uv's along u to see the smallest shells and scale them up for lightmaps and the uv's would always pop back after using layout uv's and then saving the scene and reopening it.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh, I hate this problem too. I never tried saving as .ma and hunting through the file manually,might be a fabled 'dirty' node. Rebooting the pc doesn't solve the problem. Never had it happen with Layout UV's specifically though, but I rarely use it.

Another thing to try is to let the 'snap back in time' happen, select all UVs, use the move tool, then Undo. If that doesn't visually fix the problem, save out as a new file at this point, load said file and repeat. Most of the time the problem was something of a phantom.

Some versions of Maya vs. vidcard drivers had problems with the floating UV Editor window. Try working with the UV window in a viewport panel instead.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    definitly an old bug i think i experienced this first in maya 7

your trick with moving and undoing i know as well. although i usualy scale and than undo.

i havent experiencd this in a while but i alsodo alot less 0-1 normalized unique unwraps its all about tileable/reusable/atlas maps these days !
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've had this problem since 2002 with Maya. The only fix is the moving and undo trick.
  • GavinUnit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, thanks a lot for the discussion guys. Keep em' coming if anyone has any tricks up their sleeves :)

If it starts acting up again I'll definitely try working in the viewport panel, thanks for the tip.

I've been really paranoid while working today and have been DH, FT constantly anytime I change something with my UVs, I also periodically make an .obj backup. No problems since this morning.

Might also be worth noting that when it happens, it seems to go thru and affect my previous scenes also, so if I try to just roll back to a previous version of the scene it will still be wonky. Makes me think it may indeed be a card issue, but with so many people having the problem over such a huge period of time, I really don't know.

How's UV layout in MAX? I've never really used the program, but might consider bringing my models into there to do layout from now on. Maya has enough issues as it is without having to constantly worry about my UVs getting scrambled (not that I'm really complaining... I take her for who she is. The good and the bad. In sickness and in health).
  • Synthesizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    I was getting this recently, and I tried all the fixes here without any result. Triangulating the model worked though. There's so many of these little bugs in Maya...
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    This used to happen to me a lot(I thought I was just going crazy) and especially when combining objects together, but since I started religiously deleting my history when I finish some UVs it has mostly stopped.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Deleting history doesn't always catch this. It happens a lot when duplicating objects. I recently duplicated an object, moved it, saved the file, closed Maya, reopened Maya later, opened the file, and the UV were incorrect. I just moved one UV and it fixed it. But it just randomly happens.
  • Adam-Bomb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam-Bomb polycounter lvl 17
    Lets get one thing clear I am an absolute Max die hard but I have to say Maya's UV tools are better :(

I skimmed the thread, have you tried backing up you prefs and then deleting the 2010 folder in My Documents\maya? It fixes all kinds of problems for me. If blowing away your prefs fixes it you can slowly paste back in you settings till the problem comes back. Usually windowPrefs.mel or userPrefs.mel will break things :(
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Make sure the 'preserve uvs' isnt checked in the translation tool attribute editor. :)
  • Experimen7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I'm a bit late, but if anyone stumbles upon this issue in the future, the way to fix it right now, at least for me, is to go to the tool settings for the Move UV Shell Tool, and uncheck "Prevent Overlap".
  • gavinfla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinfla polycounter lvl 4
    I think I stumbled on it, you have to select the Move UV Shell Tool in order to select the shell to move, just tap the W key to turn off the Move UV Shell Tool button, than move the shell and it will not jump back to the original spot. I thought too that it was because it was over lapping another shell, but its because the move uv shell button being on. atlease this was the case for me. Or in the tool settings Move UV Tool, uncheck prevent over lapping shells.
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    checking in from the year 2017 and i'm still having this same problem you all were having 5 years ago.  It happens most often when I duplicate an object so that it has the same UVs as the previous, then move it around and rotate it.  Later, the UVs on the duplicated object (but not the original) shift to a totally random place and sometimes change in size.  Really infuriating problem to have.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insta-triggered every time I see this thread float up. I've yet to come up with a single thing that works every time.  I generally trigger it on some random undo, despite any settings in the move tools.
  • resturgence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I just found this thread after encountering the same problem. It's unfortunate that duplicate objects seem to be the source of the problem for some. But it was the solution for me - I made a duplicate of the object which had the 'jumping' UVs (after reverting to a previous save before they had jumped). The duplicate doesn't appear to inherit the problem, while the original continues to have the problem. I can transform/rotale/scale the UVs of the duplicate without them jumping back to a previous state.

edit: the issue seems to pop up again after I reopen the save file... sort of. The UVs appear to be in an older position in the layout, but then I try to move them and they 'pop' back to the correct position I had them in when I last saved.
  • Neighigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming from 2019 here, same issue. Duplicate objects causing UVs to revert when I modify topology. No rhyme or reason on my end. Happens with clean scene and objects. I am using the viewport in textured view to see my adjustments real time. Anyone else? I'm looking for connections we may have on the subject. Sad to see this bug has survived so long.