Home Technical Talk

Create Surface From This Spline Shape?

(3ds Max) How can I create a poly surface from this spline shape? I'd have thought it would be done using a 2-rail sweep, but it's only available with NURBS.

I've been trying to get it with Loft but to no avail. Is it doable with Loft or should I be tackling it differently?

Splines01.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may have to be a little more specific as to what shape you are trying to get. Are you trying to have a shape follow that spline? If so, you can turn on "Render In Viewport" under the spline options in the command panel. That will give you either a cylindrical or rectangular mesh in the shape of the spline. If you want a custom shape following the spline, then apply a Sweep modifier to it and select the shape you want.

If you want to turn that spline into a sort of poly sheet, with the spline defining the borders of the sheet, then just apply either an Extrude or Surface modifier to the spline.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah as Sean said above not sure what you want. I am assuming a solid surface. If so I'd apply a Extrude modifier.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A flat poly sheet surface (quads) with the spline being the border.

Extrude would produce a many sided NGon, not too difficult to clean up in this example though.

Surface modifier. I couldn't get this to work before, untill I realised that the spline had to be broken down into 3 or 4 sided shapes. For some reason, the resulting surface is quite bumpy though. Not sure why.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, with any method there will be some clean up involved when converting splines to a mesh like this. This appears to be a simple enough shape though that you may be able to poly model it just as fast.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm trying to pick up a technique in general. Any idea why the mesh is turning out like below? (surface modifier used)

The edge flow is not even. I tried adding another segment to the spline and it's even worse. The fault's happening where the segment is. AFAIK you can't weld the vertices at a T-junction so they are just snapped to together.

Splines02.jpg
  • stop619
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stop619 polycounter lvl 8
    Look into the Patch Modifier. You may have to make a few more spline connections down the length.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're looking for the cross section tool in the spline menu? Then you probably want to use the surface modifier.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It makes a surface but the geometry isn't even and clean. I think it's got something to do with the bezier handles.

Splines03.jpg

I was looking for a way to create a spline outline and get a mesh result like this:

Splines04.jpg

Anyway, I'll keep playing around with it.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    What happens if you change the handles like this :

bezierhandles.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You'll need to adjust the length of the handles on the curved portion for the poly distribution to be even.
    bezierhandles.jpg
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it. Thanks.

A few more questions:

- Is there a way to completely remove one of the bezier handles, like you can in Photoshop?

- Bezier: Is there a way to make one haldle a different length to the other handle?

- Bezier Corner: Is there a way to constrain one handle to move in the opposite direction of the other handle?

- Is there a setting to remove the move constraints completely (selecting the move gizmo axis)?
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    @Mark Dygert - Thnx Mark for writing that. Worked like a charm for me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woa necopost from 6 years ago...

Also know that you can apply an edit poly modifier and a shell modifier to turn splines into geometry.