Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity Engine utilized for a serious (non entertainment) purpose

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Chrisis polycounter lvl 10
Well, quite some time since I posited something here (more like never ever, I think).. Anyway, all my life I've been hearing how computer games are useless and how their whole production process is a total waste of resources, so to all those people (you know who you are): here is a an actual real-life practical use for an actual video game engine.

This is an idea I had since 2003, but back then people thought I was mad and/or somewhat retarded. Seven years later I actually realized it, though some people still think the same; good news is that they are not as many. So the idea was to use real-time 3d visualizations for antique objects that are sold online (or sold in general, but at least available for viewing online), instead of simply using a bunch of pictures.

The project found a realization on a much smaller scale, but still proves the idea was not bad. We considered using vrml/ x3d at first (as in the original idea of 2003), but this approach turned into a disaster at the initial tests, because there appeared to be a few major vendors for vrml viewers, each behaving differently and having different controls. The objects would spin like crazy, people who tested the files could not navigate correctly and most of all, the client was unhappy. So I had to find an alternative, and Unity was pretty much the only option available. I never used Unity, and honestly I thought it sucked, but who gets paid to think these days anyways. Long story short, I had to develop the viewer in some 2-3 weeks and figure out the workflow of getting stuff in there, then get to work, scan the objects and pack them all up for online viewing.

A total of 7 objects were scanned, which were sold at a live auction, performed in person and through a real-time online platform. We did not install advanced traffic analyzing scripts, so I cannot firmly claim the 3d files increased sales substantially, but I do know some of the final bids were made through the online bidding system they use. The 7 objects totaled a mid-six figure sum..

The project was not a major success, thought, but to my knowledge this is the first time something like this has been done. The final quality of the visualizations just barely met the required standard, but in my excuse I would say I used the free version Unity, my equipment was (and still is) limited in capabilities and the files had to be optimized to make sure they play fine on slower computers and download fast (final packs were around 6mb for hi-quality files and 3mb for mid-quality).

Enough talk, here is some art :)

scan1.jpg

scan3.jpg

scan5.jpg

scan7.jpg

Replies

• Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    well, its always cool when there is an alternative use to what we used to ;)
    I think there is a futture for realitme demo stuff cauz some museums already use interactive 3d viewers for some of their objects.

Now how would it be cool if you would make them breakable and place a random bonus inside each sculpture, like ammo or extra time ;)