Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My very first non-tutorial model. What do you pros think?

I am taking a Video Game Design class at my high school (senior year) and have done some animation work in tf2 last year but never got in to modeling. Our current project in class is to make a dolphin, texture it, make a seabed, a wavy water area, and animate it to swim. While the other students in the class are following a tutorial my teacher made, but I decided that it'd probably be easier to use what I've learned from a couple of 3ds max tutorials I've done and figure it out. I think it came out very well for a design with no guidelines except for various pictures I found on the internet. It took me about four days of classes that are roughly 30-90 minutes long each.

Any constructive ideas would be appreciated. :)

Sorry about the broken images, I thought that google docs images worked, but I guess they don't.

4nd5N.png
0XiYN.png
KpQlx.png
QJoQO.png
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIcy0zlBRw[/ame]

Replies

• Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Image links are broke.

The video looks good.

I'm pretty pissed high schools have so many computer classes these days. All we had were keyboarding and desktop publishing classes and Visual Basic and Java.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Heartless wrote: »
    Image links are broke.

The video looks good.

I'm pretty pissed high schools have so many computer classes these days. All we had were keyboarding and desktop publishing classes and Visual Basic and Java.

Don't feel too bad, I only could learn keyboarding and QBASIC/Visual Basic at my high school.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where is the model? You talk about a model you made, but your demo reel is all animations. If you want crits on the model, you got to post pics of it. :)
  • Buppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless wrote: »
    Image links are broke.

The video looks good.

Well. We were taught how to use word and excel. I'd have killed for Java.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    Buppy wrote: »
    Well. We were taught how to use word and excel. I'd have killed for Java.

you got word and excel!? I'd have k...well, no, but that really would have been nice.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhh... don't try to post images from google documents. Use an image host or attachments in your posts instead. We can't even copy-paste the url of your images.
  • Lizardizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnaFuBAR wrote: »
    Uhh... don't try to post images from google documents. Use an image host or attachments in your posts instead. We can't even copy-paste the url of your images.

Yeah, I didn't know that, I think they're fixed now. Sorry about that.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    There's alot of pinching going on. There are alot of ngons (faces with more than 4 sides) which are causing your model to smooth badly. One of the key rules to follow when starting out modelling is to keep any faces that are going to be smoothed or animated as quads.

Not a bad start though. :)
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get some porpoise/dolphin references. You'll see that the head region is far far more rounded and hydrodynamic, and transitions into the dorsal differently. Try to understand cross sections of what you're making and it'll be easier for you.
  • Lizardizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka wrote: »
    There's alot of pinching going on. There are alot of ngons (faces with more than 4 sides) which are causing your model to smooth badly. One of the key rules to follow when starting out modelling is to keep any faces that are going to be smoothed or animated as quads.

Not a bad start though. :)

What sort of guidelines are there to keeping polygons as quads? I tried to stay with four sides through the main body, but as I go to the blow hole, eye, and tail, I found it difficult to keep quads and had to resort to triangles and even a few pentagons.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your model seems to be relying on extreme smoothing. Don't do that. Video games don't use turbosmooth. Tweak the vertices so it doesn't look so flat. Also, you don't want to have polygons with more than 4 sides.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    What sort of guidelines are there to keeping polygons as quads? I tried to stay with four sides through the main body, but as I go to the blow hole, eye, and tail, I found it difficult to keep quads and had to resort to triangles and even a few pentagons.

There are ways you can re-arrange your edges to make quads if you have tris, or ngons. It just takes a little thinking, almost like a puzzle. Just try to keep your lines flowing smoothly with an even distance between them. And like previously mentioned you want the shape to be pretty close to what you want before you smooth, the smooth should just be there to do exactly that, smooth. Keep working at this and you will get it, it just takes practice.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    paintoverg.jpg

I did a rough paintover.

Basically, the edge flow around the mouth was quite off. You want your edges to flow as smoothly as possible. You also don't want n-gons, like I said before. terminate the edges into other edges, which should be quite easy to do in most areas of your model.

You also need to rely less on turbosmooth for your modelling. Add more detail on your low poly mesh to get better results on the smooth mesh. Make the dolphins body rounder (which would be easy to do with the edges in my paintover) If you make your dolphin look more like a dolphin without smoothing, then I guarantee that your smoothed model will look alot better.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd also suggest looking at the low poly thread that is stickied. Study how, why, and where each poly is placed.