Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

small environment from SWTFU 2

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
here my first environment. I'm create this from small concept from Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 here is :
91047811.png
my work :

54072006.jpg

23623287.jpg

looks ugly, i know, but it's my first environment scene
textures (exept some AO) I took out from game

maybe you will give me some advice how to make it better ,or you already like it ?
wait for your C&C

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good for a first environment.

It's always hard to match a hand drawn concept things aren't always mathematically perfect and reality, scale and perspective don't always translate like they should so some things will always be a little off. I think you've gotten pretty close, but there are a few things you could do to push the concept into your scene.

The scene seems taller than the concept and not as claustrophobic, the camera angle has a bit to do with it not matching up but the overall proportions seem to not be caring the message the concept looks to be conveying. It can help to toss in a measuring stick the rough dimensions of a human in the game. For Unreal that is roughly 72-96units high and 32x32 units wide/deep.

The door looks to be broken and slightly ajar, the player looks like they're trying to figure out how to fix it or get around it. This leads me to think that the box shape in the middle of the door would normally line up, but is off because its broken?

Also you need to nail down the key markers of the scene, the big blocks of color and key interesting bits. You can't leave it all up to the lighting to highlight everything you need to push those details in just about everything, modeling, materials and eventually lighting.

Joker_47_SWTFU2PO.gif

Once you correct the proportions, I think you'll be in good shape to start a preliminary lighting pass which will help you dial in your materials and will help you sync your color pallet to the concept, right now one is very brown and gray and the other is bright not white. If you wait until you're done with materials to start lighting it can sometimes be too late, it especially helps dial in spec maps.
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    thanks for advice ! So here is my environment in UDK

workflow.jpg

looks more better, even not bad i think . well what do you think guy's ?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i like it sofar and it is really reminding my of one of the first scenes and "star wars: a new hope" never played force unleashed but it seems to hit the early star wars ship interior feel.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea some good improvements. The specular highlights seem to be a bit too shinny and kind of distracting but the proportions are got a lot closer.