Home Technical Talk

Maya destroys character-rig (including erlier saves)

I have been doing animation for a character today sitting almost 30 hours with this character. It's created from a rig generator plugin; advanced skeleton

During the process i have been very careful to save as often as i can without using incremental save so that i get unique files everytime. HOWEVER, when i was trying to delete all channels from the character in one scene, maya crashes. And when i open the file again i see that joints are missing and everything is a mess.

I tried to go back to an earlier version, but all scenes from the pint that i bound skin look the same! I know for a fact that this happened when maya crashed since i have been going back and forth between the projects before the crash

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do?

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Here's a guess, not sure if this is the case. But could be.

Maya is not able to recreate the history when you open the file as it is too complex. So when actually creating your scene you are fine, but as soon as you close/crash Maya and try to re-open that scene or any other previous version which has the same complex history case Maya won't produce the right results.

If I'm right about this, then the solution would be to be careful only to use the construction history you need and nuke the rest.
  • Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tack m8=) Ludde h
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Hej Ludde.

This is just a general theory of mine, and I've had similar thoughts myself before. When people say that Maya "destroys" their saves and that none of them work I feel that from experience when looking at these saves they tend to have a crazy stack of history on their objects. So my theory is that while working with the original instance of Maya the program manages to keep the scene working the way the user wants it to since it has all it's data in memory. But once you close/crash Maya and try to re-open it Maya will start from the bottom of that long history stack and try to reproduce every step to get through the whole history stack, and something goes wrong at this stage. The reason for earlier/other saves not working either is since they have the same dilemma of big amounts of history.

Once again though, just a theory. Don't know if this is true at all.

One example I base this idea from is when people work with an UV-Map everything is dandy. Then the next day when they open their save it looks like their UV-map exploded and is all over the place. Even their older saves are similar. When trying to help these people I've noticed that these UV-mapped objects have a huge amount of history nodes of various actions. I'm guessing that when Maya opens a file it starts from the bottom of that history stack and tries to re-produce every step and fails.
  • Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sounds logical. I have never had problems of this kind where missing joints in a skinned mesh hasn't been involved though., and in these scenes theres only a few unused shaders, otherwize no history. is it possible somehow to make a more throughout deep-clean of the scene?