Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to the forum, so...one of my first posts

5412611914Hello, I'm studying Game Art and Design at SCAD currently. Recently took my first Maya class so I figured I would post up my initial work I'm most proud of. I'm a bit nervous...so I hope all goes well. C&C welcome.

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    hey dude, for your first maya and 3d classes, those are honestly some promising looking texturing skills. (some of your images seem to be broken, the only two I can see is the shack in the hills and the dimly lit japanese teahouse.)

the hills in your first scene are pretty wild looking and incline way too fast in order to pass off as believable. try more gradual curves, looking at photos of what you're trying to recreate, and adjust your scene accordingly.

your second scene has a nice sinister mood to it, but the lighting seems uneven, doesnt blend too well, particularly in the back corner, where one face almost goes pitch black, and then right next to it is a completely different value. maybe you have reference photos that would say otherwise, but just off first glance, the scale looks very off as well. The walls in the scene are making the ground floor, tables and sandles look extremely tiny. It's also hard to believe the blood spatter would be that uniformly distributed on the wall, and be that high in the first place.

it's difficult to get a good look at your scenes because you've taken very claustrophobic shots of your environments. Pull that camera back a bit, up the resolution on your renders, and give us some new shots. :]

there's a lot of room for improvement, and it'll all come in due time as you go through school. Seeing as you've just finished your first maya class, take the critique that you receive here and apply it to your new projects. Stay productive, keep working fast, and share your work with a lot of people! Good luck! :]
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, Thank You Very Much Uly! Awesome, awesome crit! For these projects we were told to pick some more "up close" shots so that way we could focus our attention on the textures, and have enough time to layout UV's and such. I'll definitely try to load up these projects and do some tweaks when I can.

Polycount is a bit intimidating, but I'm trying to get past that.
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah looking like a good start.
    What did you use to render it out with? I'm guessing its a maya software render? Make sure you've got the quality set quite high (like Production) and the image size turned up to a bit larger. And what lights are you using?
    Best thing to do when learning (in my opinion) is to just get stuck and produce as much as you can. Like illustrating, some of your first stuff won't be your best. But keep doing it and you'll get faster and learn better techniques.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @salacious, Render used was Mental Ray on Production Quality. They are small cause that was the size my teacher asked for to turn in. The exterior scene lighting was the artificial Sun and Sky within maya.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to produce more when I can, these were produced with the knowledge that I was taught this past quarter.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    The exterior scene lighting was the artificial Sun and Sky within maya.

Personally, I'd say steer clear of Sun and Sky when you're starting out. It is fast and gives you nice realistic results, but won't help you understand lighting or give you much freedom. Look into tutorials by Jeremy Vickery and Jeremy Birn (Vickery lit for Pixar, think Birn still does) for good traditional lighting in Maya.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hayden, part of that assignment was to use the Artificial Sun and Sky within maya. If I had had the option I wouldn't of used it, however not really my choice. I plan on taking a Digital Lighting class at my school which will really help inform my lighting. I also own the Gnomon DVD by Jeremy Vickery that talks about lighting, and color theory. Hadn't heard of Jeremy Birn's though...I'll look him up. Thanks!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I also own the Gnomon DVD by Jeremy Vickery that talks about lighting, and color theory. Hadn't heard of Jeremy Birn's though...I'll look him up. Thanks!

Yup Vickery's one is awesome. Birn's is really good too. The guy's got amazing skills.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently using Flickr to host my images. Any suggestions anyone could offer of free image hosting sites that may be better?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    google's blogspot works great. I haven't ran into any resolution limits or forced compression. all you need is a google account, and you can set up a blog with that. you don't really need to use the blog bit though, just upload your images and grab the link.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool. I'll have to dig up my gmail account and start the blog. I actually have to start a blog for my Portfolio class eventually, so I'll be killing two birds with one task.