Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walther P22

Patrick Svensson
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Patrick Svensson polycounter lvl 14
Hi all!

I have been working on a Walther P22 pistol. Im still working on the textures on this, but like to get some feedback. Hope you like it! :)

waltherwip.jpg

Replies

• Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice gun :) after looking at the reference really just minor stuff, only thing that bugs me is the bullet size in the clip. Other then that very nice :)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    The ammunition of the P22 is Cal 22, so the size its correct.
    Nice work :)

800px-.22_LR.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    very nice. ive just started gathering reference myself to start a p99. :P this is looking quite good and inspirational. :D do you plan to make any attachments?
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you all like it! it lights my day :)

Trying right now to get a better matrial feeling... but I have a tough time to make it good, so the progress now is a bit slow.

@Oniram: Oh you are? I will be watching for your P99 :), and at the moment I will not be making any attachment, just maybe a diffrent diffuse. Just maybe..
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some more work on it. Any comments on it? Hope you like it :)

waltherp22.png
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Looks real good, nice and clean. You need some more material definition between your polymer frame and metal slide. See the noisy texture in the plastic in this picture?

walther_p22_left_1200px.jpg

Also, I guess it's too late to change it now, but the rear of your frame is wrong; it's missing a little cutout for the hammer to go through:

pix875038144.jpg

Kind of a big issue since it's right there in FPV.
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn.. didnt notist that before... *slap*

Hmm, I maybe can change it.. in the texture and maybe hammars model.. hmm.. will try to fix that.

And about the polymer, I need to fix that to. But eye there! Thx!
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A update, better now?

walther_p22.png
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah. much better.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I'd make the edges on the plastic part less shiny and use a broader exponent to contrast with the metal (which has it the other way around ;)) and give more of a rubbed edge feeling, great touches with the finger smears on the metal, although they don't make much sense on the clip as they are so sharp, I'd smear them a lot there.

I also liked the warm environment better than the cold one you have in the second shot is this marmoset ?
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram: thank you! :)

vahl: Oh I see. Just a question not about the contrast with the metal.. Do you mean that I need to change the diffuse or specular or.. didnt really get that part. :)

And yes, I use Marmoset (1.0)
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice gun man! Where are the wirez and the texture sheets? ;)
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you have atleast the Texture, Wire will come later :)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Patrick : I was talking about specular/gloss contrasts :)
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick remake, better or worse?

walther_p22.png
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im a spamer, oh yes Iam!

Wire!

walther_wire.png
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful work, can you post pics of the highpoly and textures?
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    The last one was the best in my opinion. Very nice work.
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spitfire: Thank you, here are the links for the highpoly and textures

Zelenkov: Thanks again, :)
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    yikes, your hammer is still kinda wrong, check this pic (needs to curve down into the frame around where it hinges)
    27-f.jpg
    Also when animated the hammer will be cocked, which means this part will be exposed and right in the player's face:
    IMG_4741.JPG
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Finally! Someone who is doing a P22 and not the typical P99, everyone just lovessss 9 mm's. Anyways I own this gun and I see a few problems, the texture is very nice, on the back of the clip at the bottom there is nothing to the back of the plastic, it all sticks out towards the front, you can slide it off of the bottom of the clip to remove the spring.

I'll send you some shots of what i'm talking about but for now my camera batt is dead so I am charging it.

On the cutout for the hammer it is not just flat down, it curves under because it's a cylinder down there. Once again the photos i'll snap for ya will help..

Actually i'll take some with my phone and if you need better ones I can handle that for you

The clip it's at a much sharper angle, the top of the bullets are angled up and overall it's at a greater degree.

Also on the clip, mine is currently full with 10 shots and the slider is almost completely down at the bottom

img20110209212123.jpg
    img20110209212131.jpg
    img20110209212136.jpg
    img20110209212143.jpg
    img20110209212302.jpg
    img20110209212331.jpg

Well i hope the photos help, i know they are blown out, like I said I can take some better photos with my normal camera if you need them
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    Finally! Someone who is doing a P22 and not the typical P99,

oh that hurts my soul.. haha. i was planning on doing a p99 sometime soon. havent seen many tho. :P

anyway. lookin good patrick. im wonderin how that would look if u put that "graininess" on the handle into the normal a bit.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I'd push the plastic more. You've got a *great* texture but I think there is still a bit to go to hit the sweet spot.

Some ideas:

- Run generic black/white noise, run through nVidia filter, and overlay onto plastic. It'll help roughen up the plastic a bit more.

- Try to pull out the peaks of the material a bit more. In the spec, fill a layer with white. Open up layer styles and start playing around with the bottom slider under Blend If. If you alt-click the arrows, you can split them apart to adjust the falloff. This is great for pulling out the peaks of the surface.

Great work, very inspirational!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Fix the spec on the casing of the bullets, the spec should inherit some of the colour of the diffuse. Use the pic you posted yourself as ref.

Other than that, this looks ace :)
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Oniram wrote: »
    oh that hurts my soul.. haha. i was planning on doing a p99 sometime soon. havent seen many tho. :P

anyway. lookin good patrick. im wonderin how that would look if u put that "graininess" on the handle into the normal a bit.

Lol sorry :) I have seen TONS of p99's since I began modeling and this is the first p22 I've seen, everytime I see one I just think "awe man, why not a 22 cal...assassin's weapons aren't cool enough for people?"

Perhaps go with a ppk instead? lol they are overdone as well...oh well, follow your heart!
  • Patrick Svensson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for you comments. I will fix the small changes some day, right now I will take a break of the Walther P22. Just like to do a small thing first :)

I have tried to make the plastic normal just a bit noise. I personly dont like it, it look to much like rubber then. But will give it a shot later on. :)