Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Pit : Epic battle between Lioness and an Efrican Elephant [Image Heavy]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
attattattack polycounter lvl 8
(Edit: an attempt to change the typo on Efrican to African failed)
Hi guys, just finished my demoreel with this piece.
screen captured from UDK and the animal shot rendered in Marmoset
for more go to www.artbyatt.com

Battle_01.jpg

Battle_02.jpgbattle_04.jpgshot_03.jpgele_marmo.jpgLion_Gameres_Marmo.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome for future improvement!

Thanks all, and thanks Polycount for all the answers to my frustrations!

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that is epic. Usually people just toss that word around. The video on your site is awesome, though I was a bit surprised by the lady halfway through. I get that it's your demo reel, but the placement between everything. Anyway, shadows on the scene are pretty dark for my taste.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    wow, the sculpts on your site are lovely :) how did you go about creating the surface details, like the fur on the lions and the wrinkles on the elephant?
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cholden : Yeah a lot of people complain about the woman in the middle, my idea was ending with a better piece of work, so I want to end it with the elephant, but you're right it seems out of place. About the shadow, I agree, most of the detail are lost, gotta fix that in the next edit.

@Crazyfool : Fur on the lion are all sculpted trying to follow the lion's picture reference. The wrinkle on the elephant I used a lot of hi-res desaturated photos stitch them together and use z-applink to project on to the elephant, then apply it as a displacement map layer, tone it down, but the result wasn't really impressive so I added a lot of hand sculpt on those wrinkles.

Thanks guys
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Stunning work, really nice. Paused it several times to study the content :). No crits here

I would agree about the woman appearing in the middle being an interruption, the video to me almost seems more like a showcase for that one scene rather than a regular demoreel, with so many (awesome) breakdowns of the 1 piece. I'd stick her at the end if she needs to be in there, maybe after a quick splash of "other work" so we know what's going on?

Also on that note (and I know this sounds ridiculous, but) you might consider using a couple of black bars or something to censor the sensitive areas in the photorefs of the chick. Most people in the art community and our industry at large will be open minded enough to accept naked refs and likely expect it from 3d artists especially, but some people get offended really easily. If someone with a stick up their ass dismisses your reel because they "don't like seeing naked people" or whatever, well that would fuckin suck. It's your call but i'd play it safe personally, always the pessimist!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that is absolutely fantastic. something very unique in subject matter which is very rare. and then its also executed nicely, so yay.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    tda wrote: »
    Stunning work, really nice. Paused it several times to study the content :). No crits here

I would agree about the woman appearing in the middle being an interruption, the video to me almost seems more like a showcase for that one scene rather than a regular demoreel, with so many (awesome) breakdowns of the 1 piece. I'd stick her at the end if she needs to be in there, maybe after a quick splash of "other work" so we know what's going on?

Also on that note (and I know this sounds ridiculous, but) you might consider using a couple of black bars or something to censor the sensitive areas in the photorefs of the chick. Most people in the art community and our industry at large will be open minded enough to accept naked refs and likely expect it from 3d artists especially, but some people get offended really easily. If someone with a stick up their ass dismisses your reel because they "don't like seeing naked people" or whatever, well that would fuckin suck. It's your call but i'd play it safe personally, always the pessimist!

I agree here on a couple of notes but think it should be handled a different way. It was definitely more of a showcase of that one piece and it is a wonderful piece, however too much time is spent on the circling of the same scene and then so little time spent showing the maps of the elephant skull or something, i honestly have no idea what it was because it happened so quickly. Great job on the scene though it's really gorgeous and i'm impressed something this nice can come out of UDK, but i've been seeing a good bit of that lately so hopefully I can manage to pull off that great lighting.

About the nudity, I think instead of blackbarring it and looking like you are trying to hide something, just offer a warning of nudity at some point, either before the woman is shown or at the beginning screen of the video itself, you could perhaps offer a link to a blackbarred version of the video for those who find it offensive...which is ridiculous but hey that's life.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Gorgeous work! I love your main scene, there's so much action going on and the composition of the lions and the elephant support the action really well. It tells a great story. And beautiful models throughout.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    This is just fantastic! Loving the sense of motion of the scene. The poses of all the lions and elephant are great. You can feel the pain of the elephant from that lion biting into him.

Only thing that looks odd is the lion flying in the air. I know its something that could happen but it almost looks a little too silly and out of place compared to all the other lions and elephants.

Even still it looks great!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work man. That elephant model is sick.
  • Mladen Jovicic
    yeaaah mann! the hard work payed off and it shows. congrats on finishing you reel and this epic scene!
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, didnt check this page, been busy packing stuff to go back home.

Thanks for all the kind words and use comments and critiques guys.

@tda yeah adding a section of other work would be nice.

@divi thank you very much for the compliment, I'm really flattered.

@DDuckworth I was kinda trying to give time to each piece according to amount of work put into them, but I agree that the timimg is kinda messed up, I was worried too much that the animals would get too little time, or the turntable would be too fast.

@Paulsbovoda thank you! Love your work a lot, makes mine looks like kid's doodle, serious!

@Autocon Thanks for the comment man, a big fan of your work also, really appreciate a compliment from you. About the lion, I think that would never happen in real life or maybe I haven't seen it just yet. It was a suggestion from a classmate, and I loved it, it make the scene more epic. The first idea was just lion jumping at the elephant, which was kinda boring.

@SeanEG Thanks man!

@Mladen Yeah, finally the hard work is done, it's not paid off yet until I get the job lol. Thanks man for lots of helps

@PixelGoat Thank you PixelGoat! I wish I can make rocks like yours. Finish your tutorials lol.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    did i just see a lions vagina?