Home General Discussion

World Famous French Toast.

So a little while ago, we had a get together with some friends for an Iron Chef showdown, which we've been doing for the past few years now. The theme was "Booze in food" and my wife made the most awesome french toast ever. We made it again this morning, and I took some photos, and will write up a little how-to here.

First off, the recipe and methods are based off of Alton Brown's french toast recipe. There is some good science in there and we're convinced that his methods make the absolutely best french toast. Its worth checking out or just making straight from his: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/alton-s-french-toast/video/index.html

The first thing you want to do is make a custard(sorry I didn't take photos of this), you make this the night before. Its important to beat it very well so you don't have any snotty eggy stuff left in it, I'm sure anyone who has ever made french toast half awake in the morning knows what I'm talking about. So what goes in it:

This portion is actually based on a different recipe as well, from a cookbook we have here(double this if you plan on serving more than 4 people)
3 Eggs
1 Cup Milk, We have used Half&Half, but if you can get quality 2% non-homogenized milk with cream on top, that works well too.
1/2 teaspoon(HEAPING) Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 teaspoons Kahlua
2 teaspoons Vanilla

Beat the eggs thoroughly, making sure no nasty runny stuff is left, and then combine the rest of the ingredients. Store in Tupperware in the fridge over night. Make sure to pick a container that you can easily fit 2 slices of bread in for dipping, so you don't have to switch to something else.

Now, choice of bread is key, you want a bread that can soak up a lot of liquid, and something that doesn't have too sour of a taste. We used Challah or Hallah, which is a Jewish egg based bread. This is the #1 choice, as it pretty much tastes like french toast uncooked. We found this at the local organic Co-Op, the major grocery store doesn't carry it.

Cut the bread in 1/2-1 inch slices, I made them about 1 inch the first time, which you would think is way too big, but it was excellent. Because of the way we cook it, it works out fine. Leave the slices sitting on your oven rack overnight, crack the oven slightly to get some airflow. We want the bread to be stale so it absorbs a good amount of moisture. In France this is called "forgotten bread" because it is made from the stale left over bread.

Now, we make a "Compote" or sauce that is basically a pie filling.
With a medium saucepan on medium heat, we add:
1 bag frozen raspberries
1 bag frozen blueberries
1/2 bag frozen strawberries
1/2 cup juice, cranberry or orange, whatever you have in your fridge
A tablespoon of Cinnamon(more or less to taste)
A few tablespoons of brown sugar, more if you like a sweeter sauce, to taste
A squirt of lemon juice for acidity
A couple tablespoons of corn starch to thicken, add as needed, the pectin in the fruit will gradually thicken as well, so do not go nuts with the corn starch.
A splash of triple sec, or another orange flavored Booze, to taste yet again.

This will make a pretty tart sauce, if you like sweeter sauces, change the recipe a little to your liking.

Heat, stirring often until the raspberries have turned entirely to mush, and the sauce has thickened. It does not need to come to a boil or anything. Too much heat will alter the flavor, making the sauce extra sweet, so be careful.

The sauce can be made the night before or the morning of, if made the night before simply store in the fridge in tupperware, and then heat back up on the stove over medium heat as soon as you start dipping.

The sauce should look something like this:
frenctoast_03.jpg

Next day:

If your bread is still fresh and not very stale, open the oven for an hour or two all the way and let it sit before cooking(or just go ahead and cook, its not a huge deal).

Now we dip, what we will want for this is:
A baking pan
A cookie drying mesh thing

Put the mesh thing in the baking pan, to give the bread a nice place to sit and drain(this is covered well in Alton's video, as are most steps of the cooking process).

Now, its important that we dip each side for a full 30 seconds. I use the stopwatch on my phone for this, dip, wait 30 seconds, flip, wait 30 seconds, remove from custard and let drain above custard container, and then set on our draining station. Doing this a full 30 seconds will make sure that the custard is fully soaked into the bread, not like the eggy-on-the-surface french toast i'm sure most of you have had.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the process, but this is the end result of the dipping:

frenctoast_01.jpg
frenctoast_02.jpg

Now, the toast should sit for a minute or two. As soon as we've got all of the slices on the draining rack, we will fire up our griddle and start frying. If you do not have a griddle, use a frying pan(you will have to experiment with the temp, I would suggest medium heat). For each batch you fry, you need to add 1 tablespoon of butter(margarine), for the griddle I put 1 tablespoon on either end.

A griddle is like $30 or something, so I would recommend it, also great for cooking bacon.

Before we start, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the griddle to about 275, I usually turn the heat up too much and burn the first batch a little, I find its better to cook slower at a lower temp. Melt the butter.
frenctoast_04.jpg

Then add the french toast, as much as you can fit, but keep in mind you need room to flip them, overcrowding will be a pain.
frenctoast_05.jpg

Wait about 2-5 minutes, the first batch usually cooks a little slower as the temp is warming up. Check the bottom for doneness and then flip, and cook the other side for 2-5 minutes.
frenctoast_06.jpg
frenctoast_07.jpg

A little burnt, the next batch was better
frenctoast_08.jpg
frenctoast_09.jpg
frenctoast_10.jpg
frenctoast_11.jpg

Now that the toast is nice and crispy, we bake it on the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. This ensures that the egg is cooked all the way through, and has a nice firm texture. This is the single biggest thing that sets this recipe apart from regular old french toast IMO, baking is key!

Its best to put the french toast directly into the oven after each batch is done, but you can wait and do it all at once, the texture will be better if its baked as soon as its done frying.

frenctoast_12.jpg

After baking:

frenctoast_13.jpg

Final Result:

frenctoast_14.jpg
frenctoast_15.jpg

For an extra kick, make up some Kahlua whipped cream:
1 small container of heavy whipping cream
1-2 tablespoons Kahlua, to taste

WHIP!!

Stay tuned for our next episode: WORLD FAMOUS BEEF JERKY

Replies