Home General Discussion

formated Disk Recovery

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
jesterday i acidentally formated my backup drive again (only sotware installers)
i have recovered the most important files already

but do you know a free way to thecover the filesystem on the same disk?
i mean its sure more convenient to have it all back in the right order
(at the moment my second harddrive is full of dublacates and dublicates of dublicates of the files on that drive)

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    jesterday i acidentally formated my backup drive again

How does one do this exactly? :P Once its been formatted its gone I'm afraid, even if you shut down a PC after deleting a file on it it's pretty much gone forever (from my experience with similarish problems.)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trying to format a usbstick and formating the wrong device
    it was late yesterday
    there were two tools that did exacly what i wanted but they were demos, and the recovery process is blocked
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Andreas wrote: »
    How does one do this exactly? :P Once its been formatted its gone I'm afraid, even if you shut down a PC after deleting a file on it it's pretty much gone forever (from my experience with similarish problems.)

I would:

1) turn off the computer
    2) take the hard drive to a data recovery service. for example (http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/)

You can get data back from a "formatted" hard drive. It doesn't completely disappear until those sectors have been specifically over written.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I've used http://www.recovermyfiles.com/ several times now. It can recover all yer junk as long as you haven't written over the disk already.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I swear by ontrack easy recovery:
    http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/ <easy to find works every time for me, I can get more than most of my data back, I've had a bad external case cause an error/failure twice on a 700GB HD that became unreadable and was able to recover 98% of my files back both times same HD and I still got It and It's fine now cause its now internal no problems at all. As for formatting easy recovery also has an option to restore don't know what's required and thank god I never had to use It yet but I hope It helps you. PM me for more help on O.T.E.C.D.R.

There is also this handy little utility/app for free that I have saved on numerous drives in case you think anything is totally gone but read the instructions.

Restoration:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/recover.php <can restore deleted files, again never tried It on a formated drive try them you might get lucky.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recuva is a free file recovery software. I've heard good stories of it working well, but I haven't had too much luck with it. You could give it a try if the other solutions don't work out.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I've used ontrack and it worked for me for the most part. I haven't had many good experiences with free software. If the data on the drive is worth $50 bucks to you, it's worth it to pay for legit software. If not, move on. You'll send hours dicking around with free software and it just isn't worth it for something like this in my opinion.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i used recuva already and have my second harddrife cramped full with the files
    but the folder structure is gone, still havent changed anything on the formatted hard drive so far

edit: damn, skype installed on f, now recovery got tricky :D
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    oh yeah. you can also try the free version of recovermyfiles. it'll show you what can be recovered, just won't let you save till you pay up.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    isnt there a fully functional 30 day trail :(
    anyway, got the most importand files back thats to recuva
  • BobMaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are some free software available u can search them on google but I do not believe in free software as it will end up messing my computer with virus and spywares and whether it recovers your data intact or not is not guaranteed there are chances that u end up loosing your precious data. So I look for cheap and good software. For recovery software, I bought one before called "Kernel for FAT and NTFS", good thing is that it's one time payment and then it allows me to use forever. Take a look if you do not mind paying to get back your data
  • susangeorge545
    Freewares are present in plenty on the internet, but I am not sure how many of them are really effective. However, I am sure that most paid software are good enough and can recover files from formatted drive with ease.