Home Technical Talk

Is RTT in Max 2011 broken?

For the life of me, I can't get the same kind of results out of Max 2011 that I'm getting with older versions of Max. I've even dug up some older files which were prepped for projection and I got some bunged up results with that too.

First I found out that the ignoring MatID is broken with mentalray (great). Now I'm getting this:

bakecomparison.jpg

Super sampling seem to be broken, but still has a marginal effect on the result. I generally use a Mitchel filter, 4/16 or even 4/64 depending on what I'm baking. It just seems like everything comes out super sharp and lacking in super sampling. I changed the filter over the Gauss and it does produce a slightly more blurry normal, but it's still pretty much useless.

Is there some kind of trick to getting super sampling working or should I just ditch my old workflow and go with XNormal?

Replies

• Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't had any problems with RTT in max 2011.

I use the hammersley filter for supersampling tho.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think mental ray is the best rendrerer for any normal map baking in max tbh. The antialiasing is not very good, though you can bake at double res and half size your textures.

I don't have any problem baking in max 2011, 32 or 64 bit either. Good luck finding your solution! :D
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mentalray works fine for most baking, you can just crank up specific filters which have sharpening effects and it gives you a decent result.

I think more than anything, this is a mentalray-rtt problem. I built a quick test in 1 minute and was able to get sampled results with scanline, but for my workflow I'd prefer if I could get mentalray working. There were some really good shaders and effects you could translate directly into the diffuse of the material and bake them out to get different stuff like edge enhancement effects, or faked reflections. Some of that is possible in scanline but it's a bit of a bummer that I can't perform all of the baking with one tool.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I bake in Mental Ray is AO, and even that gets bunged up and I end up reverting back to scanline with a custom light set up. It's been going on 6-7 years now that I've been waiting for them to work the kinks out of MR and they're still working on it...
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    The only thing I bake in Mental Ray is AO, and even that gets bunged up and I end up reverting back to scanline with a custom light set up. It's been going on 6-7 years now that I've been waiting for them to work the kinks out of MR and they're still working on it...

This has been my experience as well. :D
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    cw wrote: »
    This has been my experience as well. :D

likewise. why would you want to bake in MR anyway. Scanline is faster and the supersampling produces a great map.