Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Corey Brown -3d Character Art

Hi everyone,

Been lurking here for awhile now; The site has been super helpful. So, I just recently updated to my website/portfolio/resume and thought it would be great to get some reactions.

http://www.CoreyCBrown.com

Well, I'd be interested in any crits you have on either the site or the work. Personally, I've been wondering what my body of work is missing out on; Maybe something to make me more hire-able XD I was thinking my next piece needs to have some more painted textures.

Replies

• pinappleSauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopefully the no reply is just because I posted at 2 in the morning...
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pinappleSause,

I have a few crits about the site its self.

-First off, if you are a character artist get rid of the environment art. You don't want to confuse people who go to your site. You won't get an environment art job with just that image and it will not help you get a character art job either.

-Every image on your site with your art, should have your name, website and email address on it.

-I would get rid of the cartoon-ish altogether, those are the weakest pieces on your site. And I can not say this enough, people will not remember you for your best work, they will only remember your worst.

-Either get rid of the woman/skeleton or finish it. The hands and feet are not even done and the rest of the body needs to be worked much more.

-Don't display your art with the generic red zbrush material, and in your site you have 4 different types of zbrush material. Just pick one MatCap white cavity or MatCap
    pearl cavity are a good choice but the best would be to use multiple materials and combine them in photoshop.

Hope that was helpful.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Killaball raises some good points most of my post is just an echo of what he said.

The site isn't super awesome looking but it gets straight to the art without useless fluff in the way, which is great. Like killaball said, you should drop the cartoony stuff. Compared to the other things on there it looks really junky and not as good as the rest. As for the enviro, it could really use some extra love and the screens are aliased really bad, cap em at a higher res and scale down or whack some AA on. As for the anatomy study with the skeleton, it shows real promise but it definitely needs to be "finished", it would look a lot better.

The rest seems really good, especially the frazetta piece. Loving that. If i were you i'd put that at the beginning as i think it's your best piece. If you polypainted that sucker or made a lowpoly it'd be off the chain.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    +1^

You should change the color that's around the thumbs atm. And the background you have that doesn't follow when you scroll, horrible. Maybe it's just me, but it just makes it all feel like the big "Welcome to the 90's"-sign pops up :P

Your stuff could need some proper light and rendering/shader work. Maybe look into marmoset or a nice real time shader?
  • pinappleSauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah guys,
    everything the three of you have said has been hugely helpful. To think about the amount of work I put into some of those projects and to put some silly cartoon project right next to them makes me feel pretty foolish. Gonna try and address all of those points as soon as I can
  • hunt3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of agree with sltrOlsson although in my opinion you should completly remove the borders around the thumbs, and change the links so that a "new" link and a visited link have the same color
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Gotta appreciate the effort u put into those high-res sculpts. There's something very restrained about them, tho, like they're holding back from exploding into motion or expressing emotion. In other words - drama. So, while that's something that has to do with ur own style and personality, I suppose, u can balance that by presenting them with more dynamic lighting, at least for the beauty shots. I think that would improve the initial impression much more.

Unlike what has been said above, I don't think it's bad to have that env. piece in there (altho it should def get a crisper rendering, as noted, and even better lighting, again). If ur char stuff is good, nobody's gonna say "well hold on, he's got an env. piece in there! off with his head!" ... that's just ridiculous. If it's good - keep it. If it sux - fix it.