Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi LCD Screen for UDK

Hi. First thread here. Working on a Screen for a game. Its 1800 tris (not sure If it isn't too low). I'm was wondering which parts should be mirrored on UV. How would you mirror it ? Decal materials give some possibilities and I'm not experienced enough to make a good call :D Don't know what lightmass map resolution should be used for props like that. Would be cool If any of you share your experience.

2j60fhu.png

oat72p.png

10rsqx0.png

Replies

• ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi. The screen is looking good, its very symmetrical in design could use a bit more of interest. Based on your images I'm assuming that the scale of the screen is roughly how you expect it to be in the end very large. I'd likely mirror the parts coming off the sides, corner parts possibly the top parts also. I suppose it depends on the players view and how important it is.

One thing I do want to point out is you are beveling almost all of those edges when its not really needed, doesnt really contribute much to it. I'd remove all those bevels and distribute the saved tris to other areas to help the design. What does the back look like?
  • khatake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'm back to hp ;] Trying to make it more interesting.

ajr2764 - I putted bevels so the edges looked better...I don't like those hard edges pretending to be smooth only with normal map;p Is it too much for UDK ? I know that tri count matters at the end but should I really stick with hard edges and normal ? Some people say that geo doesn't have so much impact on the performance. With those bevels normal map looks a lot better.

hp for now

s4yhsi.png
  • khatake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Spec is the same as diffuse (for now, default spec annoyed me). 3point light shader.

wmmpet.png
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    diggin the texture so far. maybe go in and add some highlights to the edges of the bevels n whatnot. there are a bunch of automated methods for that. itll really make it pop. and also maybe tone down the "dirt" just a bit.