Home Technical Talk

Rookiest question

I am familiar with 3D rendering engines, but never tried a game rendering engine before. I am not even sure using it would be useful for me, but I thought it might be good to have some work rendered this way in my portfolio.
Now that you a bit of a background about me, my questions are:

1. Does the Marmoset engine work with Blender 2.49/2.5?
2. Is it a stand-alone application?
3. Is there a list of games that work with the Marmoset engine?

Thanks in advance guys,

JDL

Replies

• JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you bought it yet? Marmoset costs last time I checked... if you're just starting off, why not get UDK? It's free to download... haven't tried it, but I know it's one of the most popular engines.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Could you be a little clearer. are you looking to license rendering technology or are you looking for a way to preview your models?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    You are aware that Blender is a game engine right?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I think it's a good idea to view and show your models in some kind of real time situation because it's probably going to affect how you create the model. I've never seen the point of scan line rendering game models other than for promotional art purposes, but that's just me.

The original Marmoset engine was used in the Darkest of Days game, I believe, although the one that they have made available is simply a stand alone model viewer. The idea is you import your model via a format such as .obj so it should be compatible with just about any content creation software out there. It's got most of the general functionality that modern games make use of, and it's really simple to set up so I recommend giving it a shot.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Marmoset costs $50 right now, not a bad investment, but not as cheap as some of the alternatives like UDK, which is free.

Regardless of what you choose, displaying and rendering your models in a real time environment (ideally one designed for games like the Unreal engine) is the way to go. Every developer I've talked to (and I'm taking a class taught by a game developer right now) wants to see my stuff rendered in a game engine. They want to see how it will look to a player playing a game using my art.

Additionally, there are special considerations you may have to make or issues to deal with when rendering a model in a game engine, and developers want to know that you're familiar with an asset pipeline.

Renders using Blender, or Max, or Maya, are really only helpful if you are modeling for film, tv, or product development.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Marmoset Toolbag has a 20 day free trial, give it a try.