Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Assassin Female

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Stinger88 polycounter
Ok. I was gonna save this idea for Dom War. But sod that I can't sit on it any longer. Need to get cracking with it.

Mission:

*Create a "WOW" factor portfolio piece.
*Typical "Next Gen" character restriction.
*Keep things simple, dont cut corners and most importantly...FINISH IT!

Brief:

Create a futuristlc female assassin. Silent and deadly (but not like a fart). Think Azureus rising/MDK but female. Sleak light armour, hi tech gadgetry and concealed weapons. No BIG guns! Crossbows and knives are the main weapons with a compact pistol (silenced) in case things get ugly.

Notes on future design choices:

*Forearm mounted folding crossbow. Energy or Physical bolts???
*Long tactical knife that extends and folds to create a bladed Tonfa.
*Weapons all fit into armour to reduce bulk.
*Hi Tech Goggles are worn most of the time.
*Light armour, dark colour matt finish....maybe glowy bits???
*Make her Sexy!

I'm looking for alot of crit on this as it progesses so feel free to rip into it. I want to make it the very best I can.

Mood Board

moodboard2.jpg

Replies

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    BOOYA!..Update number1.

Quick sketch to get proportions. Obviously more to do on this but I think most of the concepting is going to happen in the modelling stage.

sketch1o.jpg

Tactical Blade Tonfa blockout and anim. The extra 45 degrees that the little blade does could make the weapon into a climbing hook type thing.

tacticaltonfa01.jpg

knife.gif
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Nice start, careful though your proportions look a bit wrong, legs feel too long, and arms too short, try sticking it into liquify in photoshop and move stuff around until it feels right.

What's the bottom right image in your mood board from?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks Bal. True. proportions are off a bit. Arms are defo too short. I never really get it right first time though so. yeah, i'll play about with it.

the "sick" image you ask about is by Marek Okon.

http://www.okonart.com/#portfolio&illustrations&48
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think it's a smart idea to make a tonfa with a blade. And with that folding mechanism it doesn't look like too sturdy either.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Snader: I think it looks strong enough plus I have room to bulk it out. Also this is a futuristic concept so it could be made of some super strong material.

I'd like to know why you don't think its a smart idea though. Do you think it would be a danger to the user? or that its just not a good idea?

I think it looks like it could function and a skilled user (with forearm protection) would have no problem with it.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A tonfa is like a police nightstick, isn't it? I'd suggest making the inner side of the blade blunt. If the character is using it to block incoming attacks it'd need to be able to rest against the arm without cutting it.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Jackablade: Yes it like a night stick. My character will have arm protection. But your right, without protection it could be nasty.

Dug around a bit more researching bladed tonfa's. Hard to find any really. I don't think they have ever been a real weapon, but Kroenen from Hellboy uses a double edged one (cant believe I didnt remember that!). And he kicks ass! So i'll stick with it for now.

koenen%203%20lame
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    How would the blade be pulled out? seems kinda dangerous in the heat of battle to grab a blade and sling it in or out of the case to modify it's position. If both blades were pointed up in the normal position of the knife there could be a slidelock to switch the position of the blades. Here is a quick paintover for ref.

tacticaltonfa01.jpg

This would not only make it safer to deploy, but it would happen in half the time, a lot more like a spring assisted pocket knife and less like an object that you would need a manual to operate ^_^
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    DDuckworth: Thanks for the input. Yes that is a way the blades could work. But I have a way that my idea will work so you dont touch the blades. I'll do another quick anim for it tomorrow but its casting a fishing rod action.

1. press a release button and flick the weapon forward.
    2. the blade shoots out of the hilt on the extention mechanism.
    3. as the weapon is pulled back up the blade tilts into position and the extending part retracts.

To reverse it you do a similar action but flick the weapon the other way.

As I say, I'll work it out tomorrow. If i think its not working i'll keep your idea in mind.

BTW. I'm sorry if it seems like im defending my ideas and not taking any notice of the crit. Its all being noted and in fact im thinking of ditching the weapon for a fixed blade weapon but i'd like to try and do something different if I can. Even if it means that I create a weapon that couldnt really work in the physical world.

Anyway. Back to the sketch. Proportion changed. I want her to be on the edge of anime proportions but still believable hense the long legs.

sketch2q.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, it's your work, you do what you will :) I was very much thinking on the basis of something that could only work in the physical world, my mind sorta is stuck in that mindframe, i like practicality and all. Something different is always better because if it's just more of the same then why bother paying attention to it?

I like the things on the side of the glasses although I don't know what they are for and I like the slight heel on the shoe
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    DDuckworth: Thanks :). I havent got a clue what they are either. Maybe just the casing for electronics or batteries, etc.

My mind usually tries to design things that could actually work as well. And doing that makes concepts alot more believable but sometime I wish I could think more outside of "this world's" physical restraints. For this concept though I dont think im stretching things too far.

Anyhoo.. Update:

Detail refined and weapons outlined.
    reverse view next then I'll get on modelling.

sketch3weapons.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the top part on that gun design, a very cool way for the action to be shaped.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    good stuff, diggin the blade... it's like a sharp william club
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The references and concepts look great! Looking forward to the next update :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks guys. Glad you like it :D

Update: block out of the gun to get the 3D going.

gunblock1sml.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Wow...this dropped to page 18!.. I only took a short break to so some sculpting studies.

anyhoo. The armour on this was bugging me a bit. I want the character to be less bulky (especially around the legs). Ease of movement and agility is key here. Also, having seen Slipgates latest concept character in the civil war thread inspired me to get back on with this. So slipgate, if you accidently stumble upon this thread. Thanks for the jolt! :) You might also be able to tell that I was trying to emulate your sketching style a little bit.

assassinredo1.jpg
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the short and long blades of your tonfa a solid piece with a notch in both the handle and blade spines to lock it in place. The short blade should be nearly the same length as the handle for convincing strength, almost like full tang construction.

E: you also want the outside edge of the short blade to be sharp, not the inside.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting.... I like the concept..