Home Technical Talk

Help drawing girls

I seem to be having trouble drawing women without reference. Cant really explain it much further, i just end up drawing men, and i dont know what defines each gender.

So, yeah. Halp pl0x.

Replies

• keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    the google search never fails.........

http://idrawgirls.blogspot.com/

and google image search in general for "WOMEN"....will really give you all the help you need.

if you can't draw women w/o reference...........use reference. and you'll learn.
  • telmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Idrawgirls.com has nothing to do with girls, its a regular digital illustration site. a great resource, but not what im looking for.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    telmac wrote: »
    Idrawgirls.com has nothing to do with girls, its a regular digital illustration site. a great resource, but not what im looking for.
    Clearly you haven't really looked at the website or went any deeper into it, because it has what asked for: help with drawing girls. Maybe write down a more detailed question that really illustrates your problem ;)

some ideas:
    • Get a girlfriend and draw her, or your sister or your mom
    • Go to anatomy classes and draw within those classes
    • Get out in the park and sketch or draw people
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    that's funny....i went to idrawgirls.com and got tons of links that would aid me in a certain question like "I seem to be having trouble drawing women without reference".

now if you want someone here to give you the golden rule to "drawing women WITHOUT reference". dude, it's just not going to happen. just use some reference and learn. it's that simple.

and if resources aren't what you're looking for. what ARE you looking for?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Help drawing girls"
    Spend less time searching for ref, and more time drawing?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    more curves, small shoulders, wide hip, that's about it, oh yeah, and breasts.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    If you're persistant enough to follow through with your undertaking, youll come to understand what I'm about to say. If not you'll just think I'm a tool.

Its all about the lines.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Its as simple as drawing a shit load and attacking your weaknesses. I'm talking daily!

Girls are all about subtlety and suggestive lines.

Reference helps, i have a ton, But i only take look at it before i start drawing, then i pull it out of my head from there.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    bewbs, at least...like...two of em

ahem.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    telmac wrote: »
    I seem to be having trouble drawing women without reference. Cant really explain it much further, i just end up drawing men, and i dont know what defines each gender.

So, yeah. Halp pl0x.

do you have life drawing classes in your area?

other than that, get a good book on anatomy (Gotfried Bammes's "Wir zeichnen den menschen" is probably the best you can find, it's in German but illustrations are great and pretty self explanatory. )
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the hell is 'halp pl0x'? Why not just write 'help please'. People are far more likely to 'help' you if you talk properly.

Anatomy knowledge is king. I'd actually recommend not going to IDrawGirls.com because you're not gonna learn how to 'draw girls', you're just gonna learn 'how to draw girls'. What I mean by that is, drawing humans isn't about knowing which direction your pencil should go in, it's about knowing why it's going in that direction. Get a proper understanding and you'll be able to draw any human you like, male/female, short/tall.

So +1 for anatomy knowledge. Get a decent book or a number of books. I've got a feeling you want a free solution so you could go and Google the Andrew Loomis books and find his figure drawing book. Study it hard, and sketch a lot using your newly found knowledge.

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, grab Atlas of Human Anatomy by Stephen Peck.

Honestly though, it takes a long time and a lot of work to be able to draw the human form well, and even with experience, you'd never really want to draw without any ref at all. I studied anatomy for a few months, sketching for an hour or so a day and still can't draw a decent shaped human so as I said, it's hard work and dedication.