Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Nate LaMartina, Character Art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hazed_blue polycounter lvl 18
Hey fellas,

After 5 years of rotting in a corner of the internet, I decided to completely gut my old portfolio and start fresh. Brand new content, design, and layout to go with a completely updated set of skills. A colleague of mine mentioned that I may want to post a link to my site here for critique and circulation, so what the hey, I agreed that it would be a good idea.

I'm completely open to whatever comments or critique that you may have regarding the site, content, and anything else of that sort. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and will help me to get an updated feel for where I'm at. Thank you!

http://nlamartina.com/

Replies

• Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That splashpage saying "entering website" confused me. Is it actually loading the site? If not, I think it would be better to just link the blogspot page directly, so people dont need to wait for the splash page bit.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with Krynn concerning the splash page. I was clicking around abit on random parts of the image to be redirected until I suddenly popped to your blogspot site. Somewhat annoying.

I really really like the art though. Killer textures! I'd like to see some flats and a polycount would be super too. The texture density on some pieces bothers me a bit, the shoulderpads and kilt on this fella for example http://nlamartina.com/images/choppa.jpg
    but I know its for an mmo and you probably only had a 256 or 2 for the shoulders so I guess it's alright :)

Anyway, impressive stuff. Bookmarked and such.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Nate, great to see you posting here.

I can't stress this enough; remove that f'n splash page. It just sits there and makes us look at it, and wait for it to load the web site.

A few of the portfolio standards for you here:
    The two main standards of a portfolio is the portfolio itself (gallery) and the resume. Everything else is secondary. Therefore your main url should be your portfolio.

I'm not a fan of your thumbnails because they are busy noise of detail giving me no clear picture of what I'm going o see, and therefore no want to click.

Keep your WIPs in your blog.

Technically, Tchar's right arm and the horns of Froth have pretty nasty smoothing errors.

Your page title should be your name. It seems more like you're an outsourcing company instead of an individual.

About pages are redundant hiding the resume. It's a detriment.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    /signed. Kill the splash page. Work is great.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Nate, good to see you back! (You sort of introduced me to polycount way back when in school). Anyway, I would check your site a few times a year out of curiosity, and saw you had revamped things recently. I too, noticed the splash screen was slightly confusing, and felt the art was a bit hidden (well...hidden in the fact that the blog page was the first thing after the splash sreen, and not your portfolio, and the thumbnails could be bigger). Of course, your artwork is so monumentally good, (and always has been) that it makes up for these hindrances, but of course with a few changes you will have a fantastic setup.

Anyway, send a PM my way sometime, curious how you've been and what you are up to lately.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Epic work man. I saw your post on Game Artisnas for the St. Michael thing a while back too and posted on it. How is that coming along? Big fan of the Warhammer stuff, and DAoC for that matter (was my first MMO) I played that for a long time until I cut it out to focus more on my Art because ultimately I wanted to be making that stuff for others to enjoy!

As far as the website goes, I agree with what most others have said. Lose the splash page. Make your artwork your main page front and center.

You actually have a pleasing layout and nice color scheme. The extra pages aren't needed but are nice from a personal standpoint, especially for someone already established such as yourself.

One thing I'd really love to see is texture flats. Clearly you're an excellent texturer so it would be great to see those layed out. Also... wireframes lol always always wireframes.
  • Hazed_blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis wrote: »
    Epic work man. I saw your post on Game Artisnas for the St. Michael thing a while back too and posted on it. How is that coming along?

It's coming along well, although I paused my work on it to finish up the Tchar'zanek head. That thread was getting lost in the shuffle at GA, so I figured I'd wait until I started up some modeling before posting it again.

And point taken about the splash page. I think part of the problem was that I let the page sit there for too long before forwarding on to the blog. I shortened it to a 3 second delay for now, but more than likely I'll nix it entirely.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I left before even waiting to be forwarded, thats too long.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Epic work man, added to my inspiration, but I agree with the others, the splash page is confusing!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Too wordy, too bloggy!

Art first, text and content later, get rid of the splash screen, I was clicking and wondering what I'm suppose to do.
  • Hazed_blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks to your feedback, I've made some fruitful revisions.

-Splash page revised. Since there was concern about the delay/non-clickable nature and not having the portfolio front and center, I've added icons to guide visitors to the portfolio right off the bat, or to the blog. Splash page can be kept for search engines and traffic, portfolio is immediately available, and the blog can still be accessed. Everybody wins!

-Thumbnails have a slight border now to help differentiate the details.

-Resume replaces the "About Me" shpiel.

-Artwork page now has professional work first, personal second. Erroneous "Work In Progress" tag removed.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Splash page is a bit better, its too tall and too wide (have to scroll down to see the link buttons, and clicking the main image should take you to the site in my opinion. (also you should center the main image and use a repeating bg image for the orange lines).
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    oh yes, much better. I'd still prefer gallery/folio first and a link to you blog from there. The less clicks there are to see your work, the better.

I would also go for larger and easier to see thumbnails. At least show the viewer what they expect to look at when they click on it. right now I wouldn't know if its a character or some kind of ornate jewellery box by looking at some of your thumbnails. ;)

A tip, people are happier to scroll than to click.

Work is kickass though. I'm in love with your hand painted skills :D

EDIT: I just did this to explain what I mean about large thumbnails. Its just a suggestion I'm not trying to step on your toes or anything! Its just the characters look so good, they really need to scream to the view *click me!!!*

291erut.jpg
  • Hazed_blue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Splash page is a bit better, its too tall and too wide (have to scroll down to see the link buttons, and clicking the main image should take you to the site in my opinion. (also you should center the main image and use a repeating bg image for the orange lines).
    If you don't mind me asking, what browser and desktop resolution are you using? The splash page has an auto-resize script to center it within the browser window, but there might be a resolution/browser combo that I haven't accounted for. Thanks for the info.

edit: Wow Anuxinamoon, thank you for the mockup. I admit that the current thumbnails are due to my weakness for detail. It's a way of catching the viewer's interest without showing the subject in whole, but I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. I really like your idea though.
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the concept art of your frothet daemon as my desktop wallpaper! Pretty sure Adrian Smith was the artist for that was that what you used for reference? Awesome work btw
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    I too agree with putting your work first. imho it should be the first thing someone sees when they go to your website because that is most likely why they are there. The work is stunning, that's sure! But I agree with the mock up Anuxinamoon provided. It definitely displays your work a lot better. The only thing I disagree with what Anuxinamoon posted though is the scrolling vs. clicking. It's a personal thing of course, but I love opening all the images in new tabs and looking at them on their own. Scrolling forever (not that this is a problem in your website) makes me get bored quicker.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    oh yes, much better. I'd still prefer gallery/folio first and a link to you blog from there. The less clicks there are to see your work, the better.

I would also go for larger and easier to see thumbnails. At least show the viewer what they expect to look at when they click on it. right now I wouldn't know if its a character or some kind of ornate jewellery box by looking at some of your thumbnails. ;)

A tip, people are happier to scroll than to click.

Work is kickass though. I'm in love with your hand painted skills :D

EDIT: I just did this to explain what I mean about large thumbnails. Its just a suggestion I'm not trying to step on your toes or anything! Its just the characters look so good, they really need to scream to the view *click me!!!*

291erut.jpg

I agree with the guys on the getting rid of your splash page, and what Anuxinamoon said here about the thumbnails. If you had thumbnails like he has thrown together, your site would be that much better. Great artwork, absolutely great.

P.S. I would like to see turn arounds for your character, and even texture sheets, and wireframes. :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm using 1680 X 1050, according to a fellow board member, here's the most popular resolutions to visit his portfolio.

Most popular screen resolutions:

1680x1050: 26.58%
    1920x1200: 18.55%
    1280x1024: 15.92%
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Epic Stuff.. Bravo!
    Didn't have much trouble to enter or see stuff.
  • GregStrangis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wicked cool stuff on your site!!
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    Hey your website is showing me some weird stuff :S
    Charlie Rocket..
    Castrol Cricket index and whatnot.
    godaddy.com...

is it still on?
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    yiannisk wrote: »
    Hey your website is showing me some weird stuff :S
    Charlie Rocket..
    Castrol Cricket index and whatnot.
    godaddy.com...

is it still on?
    necromancer.jpg

Step 1): Dig up an old thread
    Step 2): Necro the shit out of it!
    Step 3): ???
    Step 4): PROFIT!!

=)

EDIT: Anyway, here is the whois info (note the parts in bold:
    Domain Name: NLAMARTINA.COM
    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
    Name Server: NS63.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    Name Server: NS64.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Updated Date: 11-jan-2011
    Creation Date: 30-dec-2004
    Expiration Date: 30-dec-2011
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    step1. receive sarcastic funny comments from someone you do not know
    step2. ?!?!?!!?
    step3. think I would really like to see more of his work. it would be great!
    step4. remember to ask where his new website is!