Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Deco Building (Long Beach, CA)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
So started work on this bad boy today and needed some crits and advice.

Here's the Concept/Ref

4488766338_153e36b898_b.jpg

And my progress thus far....
Art%20Deco%20Building%20WIP%201.jpg

Art%20Deco%20WIP%20Wires%20copy.jpg

Any pointers on how I should tackle the UVs on this?

My plan so far is to break up each facade into 3 chunks the Big Chunk on its own sheet, and the two smaller combined on their own as well. Also planning on putting that pillar on its own sheet.

Should I keep the geometry defining the window trim and the other rectangle pieces or let a normal map handle that?

Also what is an acceptable tri count for a building like this? As of now I am seeing this hitting a good 50-60k. Too much too little?

Still trucking away on the first floor and other doodads. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks ! :thumbup:

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The first thing that strikes me when i see this is your window muntin bars.. Stuff like that is in my opinion a waste of tris. And it won't add to the silhouette of the window more then a normalmap will.

And then it's stuff like the shades above the bigger windows. Kinda hard to see, but it feels like it
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurrm i like the model. However when i hear Art Deco, i think of Bioshock and the Empire state building. Are you sure you have the name of this style right?
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 16
    Visceral wrote: »
    Hurrm i like the model. However when i hear Art Deco, i think of Bioshock and the Empire state building. Are you sure you have the name of this style right?

I'm pretty sure this is art deco, looking at some of the patterns going on. You just named the 2 most famous art deco "buildings" known to gamers, but the style is applied in many more structures.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »

Isn't Bioshock using more of a Art Nouveau style?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dosnt matter i can be wrong ;) model looks good.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha found the ref on a architecture forum and the guy there said it was art deco It is kinda loosely playing with the style.

Art Nouveau is a little more ornate though with much broader curves and think arches everywhere.

Thanks for the tips on the Window Bars I'm going to keep the geometry for the bake but definitely reduce to planes for the low
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Isn't Bioshock using more of a Art Nouveau style?

This is what art nouveau looks like

art-nouveau-doorway-paris.jpg
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    There are actually different types of art deco. :)
    I believe this is "Tropical Deco" but it's been awhile since my college modernist art class. :P
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this is art deco... LAs full of it

nice job on the model... i think the windows are good like this...modeling the bars etc can really help reduce need for higher-res maps...individual panes can really help for texture swaps etc breaking up repetition

also helps stop that "moulded" look when they are completely normal mapped

gotta watch out for AA (or lack of) fizzyness
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Art deco = geometric patterns and designs
    Art nouveau = organic patterns and designs

Not all art nouveau is as extreme as that door.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update I'll have pictures up later....

But actual tri count so far is ~7200 Turns out I duplicated everything in the scene on accident :poly136:
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Small Update This is sitting at about 17k tri's with all four sides. From looking around Polycount this figure seems a bit high (making my prev 60k laughable).

Whats an acceptable Tri count for a building like this on a "next-gen" system/PC title? I know its a vague question but any help would be much appreciated.

Art%20Deco%20Building%20WIP%203.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't really matter does it? As long as you can justify every triangle :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I will say it this way. It's better to have more triangles, than more submaterials ;p.
    But for some engine you will have to split building into modules, and for some you will need other small preparations.

Anyway. Texture count on single mesh have bigger impact on performance than triangle count.