Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Watermill Scene UDK

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Achyra polycounter lvl 12
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a Watermill scene for my portfolio.
There is this picture I liked a lot, so I took it as ref:

08-03Watermill_1124355923.jpg

It is the first time I make something in this style, but I wanted to give it a try. :)
I'm going to make a small scene in UDK, but for now I only have the house/watermill model.

WIP:

ScreenGrabWireframe01.jpg

ScreenGrabWireframe02.jpg

ScreenGrabWireframe03.jpg

Texturing is almost finished:

ScreenGrabTexture01.jpg

ScreenGrabTexture02.jpg

C&C Welcome

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, looks good so far. Can't wait to see what else you do with this.

Textures are mainly photosourced?

Looks like you need some support system under the stairs.

The roof texture should be a lighter value. It's blending with the wood a bit.

Get it in UDK and some lighting on it!
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you nailed that house pretty close. one question though i would like to see the chimney side of the house can't see how you texture the chimney.

besides that keep going!
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jeffro: Yes, the textures are mainly from photo's, but I blended a lot of them, and it was a lot of Photoshop work to get it right :).
    What do you mean with support system under the stairs? Some wood?

@duxun: The chimney isn't textured yet. Actually, there is a lot that isn't textured yet :).
    The mill, the chimney, the ceiling downstairs, and the two triangle shaped pieces of wood in the roof are a diffrent submaterial. For the screenshots, I just took the same wood texture as the beams :).
    The texture for those parts is almost finished now, I'll post it later today.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Great work! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Good job, texturing is awesome!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good so far :thumbup:

I think the roof could use some work on the geometry side. Take a look at this. More to find here.

Is this diffuse only? Keep it up!
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    Nice model! I felt like playing with your render, hope you don't mind.

111lez.jpg
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ sltrOlsson: Those are some nice tutorials! I did the house kind of the same way (except for the roof).
    The walls are small parts that are copied, the beams have another texture and they are placed on top of the seams.
    The textures are diffuse, specular and normal
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks fantastic. I would be really interested to see the diffuse map for this, see how modular it is!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work man....but wow, read those tuts Sltrolsson gave you - GREAT stuff. Will add more to this piece specifically!

Especially with UDK, I would push poly's even further. Your house is almost 10k, but I'm sure you could afford 12 or 13K no problem with many added details here and there to really make the buildings detail pop out all over the place.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah some support structure (wood or whatever) under the stairs holding them up.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    nice work, just to be a little picky i think your colours are a little bit oversaturated atm, although i sometimes work that way and adjust in UDK postprocess anyway. could do with a little more contrast between the wood and the wall too - it's a little bit lighter in the reference.

the grain of the wood is a little large - might be difficult to get right depending on how much you're repeating it. works fine for the long shot but starts to break down on the closeup.

it might be worth having more varied wood textures - theres a lot of wood in the image and it's all the same colour/grain/saturation atm. it might be nice to have the house timbers slightler neater and darker, like they've been stained, and the other timber slightly rougher and lighter, like it's been added later and no so well build/cared for.

lastly the bits of timber on the corners of the house are very straight and pointy - could do with a bevel and maybe a couple of edges to break up the straight lines.

good work though.

tharle
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ jeffro: oh, you mean the wooden stairs :D, i thought you meant the stone ones.
    yes, you are right, they need a bit more support, I'll place a few beams more there.

@tristamus The textures are just finished now. Now I'll fix the roof. I think I'll follow the advice in that tutorial and use more polys for the layers. But I had some polys at the ends to use for opacity. Should I delete them now? I used a little texture space for them.
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tharle: A lot of that is fixed right now. In the screenshots, I just used the same wood texture for the parts that were not textured yet. Now I use another kind of wood for the ceiling at the bottom, the triangular parts at the top. Also the mill is dirtier.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Achyra wrote: »
    @ jeffro: oh, you mean the wooden stairs :D, i thought you meant the stone ones.
    yes, you are right, they need a bit more support, I'll place a few beams more there.

@tristamus The textures are just finished now. Now I'll fix the roof. I think I'll follow the advice in that tutorial and use more polys for the layers. But I had some polys at the ends to use for opacity. Should I delete them now? I used a little texture space for them.

Alright cool, can't wait to see it finished.

Nah, I wouldn't delete the polys you had planned as alphas dude, cause that will still be a nice touch to have those frills of hay / fur / thatch coming off the ends of the roof. I'd just model into whatever geometry you currently have to get the extra details.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like a really interesting piece. Good work. Looking forward to see more.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    This looks awesome, your textures look a little too dark and saturated though.
  • DarKMessiah34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarKMessiah34 polycounter lvl 5
    any chance I can see your uv diffuse map with uv's shown on top? Im trying to learn and it would help me out to see how you layed out your uvw's
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it. It still needs some signs of aging and wear and tear to give it more interest.
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is as good as finished, I'm going to start with other things now.

ScreenGrabTexture03.jpg

ScreenGrabTexture04.jpg

ScreenGrabTexture05.jpg

ScreenGrabTexture06.jpg

ScreenGrabTexture07.jpg

The house has 4 materials:
    top left to right bottom:
    the walls, the roof+small pieces of wood, all the wooden beams, the mill+chimney+other small stuff

Watermill_Diffuse+UV.jpg

Now I'll start in UDK with some lighting, terrain, ...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    That is god damn pretty!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice just needs some alpha planes for the roof and done
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    that's too damn good! well done!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Beautiful :) This is a nice addition to your portfolio! :D
  • DarKMessiah34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarKMessiah34 polycounter lvl 5
    So with the uv's is it ok to have multiple diffuse maps to make up your whole object. If that is so, it will be so much easier tincturing buildings like this.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really good work, I like it a lot! :)
    So with the uv's is it ok to have multiple diffuse maps to make up your whole object. If that is so, it will be so much easier tincturing buildings like this.

Well there are different ways to go about it, depending on the engine several smaller textures might have worked just as well. The way it is now only makes the texture useful on that building. (ofc you can probably create other buildings with the same texture but unless its mapped exactly the same it won't be as useful) If you create the same type of building with several smaller tilable textures you can create a lot of different varieties of the same style building AND it's more efficient if you have a texture budget to keep.

However the UVs are nicely laid out, and you could probably re-use a lot of it to create more designs etc. It's good work :thumbup:
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great, mine comment is more a question. This is going to be going into UDK according to the title. Why are you taking the time to light and taking renders in Max?
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey wrote: »
    Looks great, mine comment is more a question. This is going to be going into UDK according to the title. Why are you taking the time to light and taking renders in Max?

They are just viewport grabs, I used the Xoliul viewport shader in Max. It's done in a few seconds :).
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, nice! Thank you
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    love the straw texture! smart!
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks real nice! You could make a small textures, that tiles in X, with straws with an alpha. Looks like you have it on the first prtnScrn? Would be a nice add to the details! Gonna look awesome in UDK!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, love it!
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This week, I didn't do a lot for this project. I've been working on some other stuff.
    But I made a small scene in UDK with the watermill. I created a terrain and some materials for it. I'm also working on grass billboards to place on the terrain.
    I was not planning on creating things like trees and bushes so I did those with speedtree. (The scene has to be finished as much as possible tomorrow because it is also a school project, so I don't have time for it either :)).
    For the water, I'm going to use one of the water materials that are in UDK (maybe later I'll create a shader for it myself).
    Now I'm working on small props to place around the watermill.
    Here is the first one (some fences, all with the same texture set):

fence_3dsmax.jpg

I'll post some screens from UDK too when the grass is fixed (I currently have some difficulties with them. I used a decolayer and there are no shadows falling ON the grass from other objects, so the scene doesn't look very good that way :poly124:. I'm now looking for an other solution).
    But first I'm going to make some more props.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the gras - you should change the normal of the plane, or use a transmission mask. Or both. You can read about changeing the vertex normals in the wiki, and transmission mask can be red about on Epics wiki.. Looking forward for the UDK shots ;)
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ sltrOlsson: Yes, I know that, but that doesn't fix the shadows. The lighting is already ok. It's a problem with decolayers. There are no static shadows falling on decolayers. I already tried it with other static meshes from the existing packages in UDK, but there are no shadows on them either. I'll try to fix it without decolayers.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Hooly crap this is awesome. That reference is the bomb and you really nailed it, nice work.

Before you move on i'd get that sucker in UDK imo and let lightmass work some magic on it. It's good now, but it'll really come alive with some AO and nice lighting.
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It already in UDK and it looks nice. I'll post it later today.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, you'r right. What about taking up the lightmap resolution a bit? I guess you have checked in the attributes that it will receive static shadows?
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A barrel:

barrel_3dsmax.jpg

@ sltrOlsson: The lightmap resolution is ok, static schadows is also checked. The problem is with the decolayers. For the static meshes you use there, you don't have that many options. Unfortunately, there is no option for receiving shadows.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really good, but the thing that stands out is how low res that texture is.

Also, I'd add a few more edge loops around the model to give it a stronger, more curved silhouette. You can see the faceting on it here.
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The things I wanted to get finished for school (free work assignment) are finished. I wanted to have the house, a few props and the base of the scene ready.

Trees are made with SpeedTree since it was not my main goal to create foliage. I just wanted to create the house and some props in this style. The water is a material from UDK, I used this due to a lack of time.

To do:
    • skybox: now it is a standard udk material. I want to make my own cutom texture (this one is also way too dark).
    • material for a small road that goes around the house (where the fences are)
    • grass/foliage billboards and small rocks to fill the ground.
    • some more props like a hay wagon, road sign, sign hanging on the ceiling at the door, ...
    • Maybe a custom water shader (now it's one from udk)
    • Tweak the lighting (the screenshots now were a bit to flat, dark, ... I tweaked it with levels in photoshop.

Here is one screen:

watermill_01.jpg

More on my portfolio: http://www.wannesvanderstappen.com/watermill.html

Please post some comments on my portfolio too in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80117

I'll finish this scene when my exams are over :).
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Edit: Thats what you get for just reading page one xD

Looks great ;)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey, hmm that's strange. Hope that some UDK expert see the thread then :/

Atm i think your shadows are to dark. And i think you should put "Straws on the roof" to your check list ;)
  • tesher07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! May I ask what shader you are using in max?