Hand Painted Aladdin-style house WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Tili polycounter lvl 7
Greetings!

Latest:

10kck.png

Original Post:

I'm a programmer and I'm looking to broaden my skillset a bit.

I have this fantasy middle eastern thing going on here and I like your feedback on it.

I would love some paint-overs and the like.

1hhh.png

2fqf.png

Thing I'm not happy with: sand & palm tree

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    lookin good so far. the cloth could use some more fine detailed work, and the texture on the building looks a bit too noisy and random.
  • cgdobrev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgdobrev polycounter lvl 6
    looks good, i think you can afford a few rock props around the house to compliment your ground texture. a few other props around the side of the house by the ladder too, like a sack of potatoes or something and some apples. good colour scheme.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    Hey thanks for the feedback already!

I forgot to mention my max texture size is 256x256.
    I'm planning to put some pottery and wicker baskets there, so it should be less empty.

Here's my first iteration on the screen things.

3hzh.png

If you need any close ups, just ask :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tho you are only using 256 x 256.. its always better to paint at a higher res, so u can put in more detail. some may get lost when downsizing but it shouldn't be too much to fix. screens are lookin good. im wondering, from what angle, fov, and distance is this going to be presented. for something like an RTS style game it could look really great.. but if you are aiming for a WoW type of thing then u may want to go ahead and do some of the new textures higher res.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Tighten up the radius on the top of the palm rings.They grow close to the tree and only widen up when they are really dried out.Lizzards and scorpions bugs like to live in those on pam trees.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    Oniram wrote: »
    tho you are only using 256 x 256.. its always better to paint at a higher res, so u can put in more detail. some may get lost when downsizing but it shouldn't be too much to fix. screens are lookin good. im wondering, from what angle, fov, and distance is this going to be presented. for something like an RTS style game it could look really great.. but if you are aiming for a WoW type of thing then u may want to go ahead and do some of the new textures higher res.

Well this is supposed to be something for an assignment (for school). But I'm planned to use it in a Final Fantasy style retro RPG. The targeted platform might not be PC.

I'm not too sure about viewing angles really. We'll see.

On the topic of texture downsizing, my 'mentor' (Mighty Pea), who is around here somewhere, said it's taboo :p
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it! Its off to a great start!

If I had to come up with a crit I would say each object has its own unique color pallet, it would help to unify them a little more. Kick some dust into some colors. This can be kind of tricky when painting on isolated UV shells. Lately I've really gotten into using Viewport Canvas in 3dsmax, its crazy fun to paint on the model and helps unify things like this a little easier.

Here's a paint over that hopefully shows what I'm trying to say.
    DesertShack.gif

About texture resizing... Ben Mathis has a quick write up on his views, might be worth reading before you "always" start working one way or another. http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/resize.htm

I tend to fall in the "paint at res crowd" most of the time. But there are times when you're not sure if things will be down-resed later to save space so I make sure to keep that in mind that whatever I'm working on could get wacked later on. Stay away form tiny 1px lines on a 1024px map, try to keep lines straight and not angled or aliased.

Basically paint at res but do it in a way that won't screw you over if things have to go smaller since that call isn't always ours to make.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7

If I had to come up with a crit I would say each object has its own unique color pallet, it would help to unify them a little more. Kick some dust into some colors. This can be kind of tricky when painting on isolated UV shells. Lately I've really gotten into using Viewport Canvas in 3dsmax, its crazy fun to paint on the model and helps unify things like this a little easier.

Here's a paint over that hopefully shows what I'm trying to say.
    DesertShack.gif

About texture resizing... Ben Mathis has a quick write up on his views, might be worth reading before you "always" start working one way or another. http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/resize.htm

I tend to fall in the "paint at res crowd" most of the time. But there are times when you're not sure if things will be down-resed later to save space so I make sure to keep that in mind that whatever I'm working on could get wacked later on. Stay away form tiny 1px lines on a 1024px map, try to keep lines straight and not angled or aliased.

Basically paint at res but do it in a way that won't screw you over if things have to go smaller since that call isn't always ours to make.

What! That Viewport Canvas feature is really cool, I might try using that.

Now about the different color pallets: What is the best way to edit all my textures in photoshop? Because it is quite hard to manage all the different props when they are in different files.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i stand corrected. XD
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Tili, you could use adjustment layers. They are a great way to unify textures because you can come back later and re-adjust the sliders.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    i stand corrected. XD
    If it works for ya I don't see a problem with it. I think it can be a smart maneuver to error on the side of painting too big and down res than it is to paint too small and try to upres later. Going up in res never really works out well, going down can be made to work. That's why I kind of sit in the middle on the issue.

In the end whatever makes pretty art =)

Tili wrote: »
    What! That Viewport Canvas feature is really cool, I might try using that.

Now about the different color pallets: What is the best way to edit all my textures in photoshop? Because it is quite hard to manage all the different props when they are in different files.
    That's always a hard balancing act, normally I'll pop them all up in photoshop and use adjustment layers "hue/sat & brightness contrast" to do some color correction. Another cool feature of Viewport Canvas is that it similar tools these adjustment tools in the Layers menu.

The weird thing is that a lot of games don't bother to do this kind of correction until everything is in the engine and they do it with post processing effects. When it happens too much players complain "where did my colors go!" or "Everything is brown!". So its sometimes better if artists balance things out on their own instead of a post filter effect. Of course if the game doesn't have advanced post effects then its all on the artists to tow that line.

Either way it seems to be kind of the same process, try to match it when painting, then correct everything to make it all gell.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    Did most of the roofing.
    There's something wrong with my cushions :S

5lxl.png

Edit: I think i'm going to keep my current colour pallets and maybe change them later (near the end of the project).
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    Coming along. A few suggestions.
    I think the base texture on your house is too realistic for hand painted look. I suggest adding some of the sand color to the bottom of wall and barrels and doors as well to blend them in.
    I would darken the red of your cloth to more of a magenta.
    You really need to fix the alpha on your leaves. I would also add some more geometry to them.
    Square windows are boring. Try mimicing some of the middle eastern shapes from the doorway. I also think your windows are too high up, and the height of the house overall is too short, based on the height of the doorway.
    Needs more interesting shapes, colors. Since this is a hand painted scene, don't be afraid to play with the silhouettes of your building. Exaggerate elements, rotate some things, just so everything isn't all at 90 degree angles.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    P442 wrote: »
    Coming along. A few suggestions.
    I think the base texture on your house is too realistic for hand painted look. I suggest adding some of the sand color to the bottom of wall and barrels and doors as well to blend them in.
    I would darken the red of your cloth to more of a magenta.
    You really need to fix the alpha on your leaves. I would also add some more geometry to them.
    Square windows are boring. Try mimicing some of the middle eastern shapes from the doorway. I also think your windows are too high up, and the height of the house overall is too short, based on the height of the doorway.
    Needs more interesting shapes, colors. Since this is a hand painted scene, don't be afraid to play with the silhouettes of your building. Exaggerate elements, rotate some things, just so everything isn't all at 90 degree angles.

6wlw.png

I'm not too sure how to get my wall texture more "cartoony" I've been looking at Aladdin and this is what I came up with.

A stone wall is no problem to paint for me, but sandstone is quite difficult. I know the current texture is to noisy, but I honestly don't know how to make it better. Help?

I agree about the windows, they need to change.

The idea is that this house is a small warehouse (when the inside is finished I'll show that) so the're are going to be more pots, crates and baskets cluttered in and around the scene.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    less blobby slightly more clean gradient.. with details and the odd blobb
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the style a lot. i think it works very nicely. only thing i'd suggest is less of a contrast between bright and dark colors, there's not enough transitional colors but i think that's part of the style here, not really sure
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Hi Tili

Perhaps this paintover will help you out. I didn't do anything fancy, just used the standard hard round brush with spacing set to 1%, its opacity set to pen pressure, and every other feature turned off. My painting could use more loving to get the feel better, but the idea is to build up the texture with three colours (purple-brown, orange-brown, and a light brown) starting with a large brush (think 1/5 the size of one of the walls) while trying to vary the darks/lights a little bit. Once I had a nice base, on a new layer I began adding blotches of darks and lights with a slightly smaller brush and kept overlapping the different tones until it started to blend and I had a bit of variation going. When I had that down, on another layer I painted even smaller blotches to break up the medium details and also started paiting tiny specs to further break up the medium and smaller details. I also went in with the eraser tool at times and erased parts of the smaller blotches to get some hard edges as well for some nice contrast. Adding a few dabs of very subtle blues, pinks, and oranges in the right places makes the texture pop as well.

5lx_paintoverl.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice for "programmer art", haha.

I like it, keep it up.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    SeanEG wrote: »
    Looks really nice for "programmer art", haha.

I like it, keep it up.

Haha! Thank you! :)
    Quasar wrote: »
    Hi Tili

Perhaps this paintover will help you out. I didn't do anything fancy, just used the standard hard round brush with spacing set to 1%, its opacity set to pen pressure, and every other feature turned off. My painting could use more loving to get the feel better, but the idea is to build up the texture with three colours (purple-brown, orange-brown, and a light brown) starting with a large brush (think 1/5 the size of one of the walls) while trying to vary the darks/lights a little bit. Once I had a nice base, on a new layer I began adding blotches of darks and lights with a slightly smaller brush and kept overlapping the different tones until it started to blend and I had a bit of variation going. When I had that down, on another layer I painted even smaller blotches to break up the medium details and also started paiting tiny specs to further break up the medium and smaller details. I also went in with the eraser tool at times and erased parts of the smaller blotches to get some hard edges as well for some nice contrast. Adding a few dabs of very subtle blues, pinks, and oranges in the right places makes the texture pop as well.

Yes that's what I need, thanks! I'll update this thread as soon as possible to show you the update.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    Hi all, here's the update with new walls, brick and tree texture.

9hgh.png

The inside of the building is also taking shape.

I really like the new walls (still needs more detail though).
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    nice work man , are you using a tablet for texturing ?
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    nice work man , are you using a tablet for texturing ?

Yes, I'm using a wacom bamboo. It does the job :)
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Great progress on the walls! I don't think the new brick works too well though. If you're going for the Aladdin look, I'd suggest you make the bricks more square-ish and stacked in rows like you can see in the ref pic you posted. You can also see in that picture that the bricks are about the same colour as the wall, only slightly darker. Something else to note is that while there are hard edges between the brick and plaster, there are also parts where they blend together seamlessly.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this going to be a full scene or an mini scene prop ?
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    Quasar wrote: »
    Great progress on the walls! I don't think the new brick works too well though. If you're going for the Aladdin look, I'd suggest you make the bricks more square-ish and stacked in rows like you can see in the ref pic you posted. You can also see in that picture that the bricks are about the same colour as the wall, only slightly darker. Something else to note is that while there are hard edges between the brick and plaster, there are also parts where they blend together seamlessly.

Yeah, I noticed it too..
    duxun wrote: »
    is this going to be a full scene or an mini scene prop ?

This is just a mini scene to place 15 different props on for an exam.
    But these props are going to be used in a game I'm working on.

Added and fixed a lot of stuff:
    10kck.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more cracks on the building and or a little grunge here and there, it being out in the elements and all
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    nice, man. Looks like you're getting it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making good progress!

I think you need to define the transition from plaster to brick a little more its looking a little fuzzy. Probably highlight the edge a bit and give it some subtle AO along the bricks to help account for the thickness of the plaster. Right now it looks a little too much like it was erased with a very soft brush set to a low opacity.
  • Tili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    Making good progress!

I think you need to define the transition from plaster to brick a little more its looking a little fuzzy. Probably highlight the edge a bit and give it some subtle AO along the bricks to help account for the thickness of the plaster. Right now it looks a little too much like it was erased with a very soft brush set to a low opacity.

Yeah, I got that feedback from my friends too.

Next I'll show you the inside, I know the wall texture tiles a bit too obviously but that's on my todo list.

11ses.png

Thank you guys for all the feedback! I learn lots from it so keep it coming.