Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red Army Nurse

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hi everyone,
here´s a little something I made based on a picture I found on the internet. thought I could share:
nurse_references.jpg
nurse_hipoly_1.jpg
nurse_textures2.jpg
nurse_wires_1.jpg

I´m going to make some nice marmoset shots with textured model as well, when I take some time.

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Cooool.
    I like old pictures of the Red Army.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work I kinda feel like her hands are slightly big
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I creamed my pants. Onely thing that got me was her purple skin.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great! Fantastic work. I love the face, the shoes and some of the accessories, the overall shape and proportions are great.

I think you need to tone down the purple lighting its going crazy on her skin.
    The wrinkles kind of bug me, the cloth doesn't seem to interact with her underlying frame.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    great model, but as Mark Dygert said, the Wrinkles on the cloth doesn't work so well, The problem is that your low poly is not following the flow of the wrinkles, its just flat, if you make it follow the wrinkles it will look much better.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Hands are too big, feet are tiny bit too small, the arms may be a bit too long, but I'm not sure. The skin texturing looks a bit under detailed and the whites on the eyes are too bright.

I think this is a pretty great model, but these small issues are holding it back.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you fellas for the comments. I made some changes regarding the lights (got rid of the purple light as Mark suggested - should look better now), some geometry tweaks (hand and feet proportions) as well as defining the fabric a bit in textures.

02-nurse_textures4.jpg

I´m pretty much done with this model, I want to focus on some other things I have in progress for my portfolio (job-hunting season). Maybe I´ll post the textures as well, I just need put it together on some sheet to make it look all nice and compact - I´m not much of a presentation master, most of my things look 100% better live in 3d. My all-time problem.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, this is fantastic, good work!

I think the skin is still clashing with the rest of the model though. Still a bit purple.

The textural detail you've added to the fabric gives it a nice realistic touch, but now the hair and skin look a bit plasticy by comparison. I think the thumb might be just a touch too big as well.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    great work man....not every woman has dainty hands...and they are not so huge that they look like man hands. I think making the hem-line/stitch in the uniform more pronounced would be cool...or adding the knee patches..like in the original concepts....a few alpha planes along the hair would break up the helmety look.as well...good stuff
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work! Love the sculpt.

- BoBo
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are people saying her hands are too big? Measure the length of you're hand. It should be approximately half the length of your inner forearm.
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    I think the reason why the hands seem big is because the forearm seems short, but that is just because of the cloth making it look so in the front view.
    Looks great to me, maybe some of the folds on the legs could be toned down a little, they all seem equally sharp, but that might just be the shadows making it look so.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The hands look better after the tweaks. The reason I was saying they were too big before is because I don't know any women whose two fists are the same size as their head.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Looks awesome!

Crits: While you've done a great job sculpting a lot of realistic cloth wrinkles, I just think its a bit overkill. Its overpowering the larger forms you want your normal map to represent. So all we're getting is all this medium/high frequency cloth detail, rather than any strong description of her underlying form. Also yeah...face texture needs a little work/balancing.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Most of it is looking good, but you're made one pretty critical error. She's not holding any flowers.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the comments.

low odor - I added the hem-line (diffuse only, didn´t want to mess with the hipoly and re-project normals). I also wanted to add the patches on the knees when I was working on the hipoly already, but the local symmetry in ZBrush 4.0 kinda failed me so I didn´t want to mess with it (mental note: I could model the patches and project it on the mesh using that new ZBrush feature/brush... not sure about the name, but I can see the whole process. so thanks for bringing that on my mind:) )

ScoobyDoofus - yeah, you could be right about the overkill. I was working on a lot of models where they asked me to have wrinkles EVERYWHERE (there were situations I had to have wrinkles ON WRINKLES. well, almost...). So that´s probably where I got the disease :) But I´ll make sure to focus on the main forms first with my next model.

Snader - Flowers... You know, I´m not that kind of a guy :) Just kidding. I´d probably add those, only if I had her posed. I already had her rigger (and pretty nicely, to be honest), but then I decided to make few tweaks here-and-there so I´d have to do it again. But I can tell you, that IF I rig her, I´ll add the flowers for sure.

So this time I made some tweaks again (kinda against my will, but there were some serious critiques and seeing the deficiencies was really bugging me), and here´s what I´ve got:

02-nurse_textures5.jpg

I added some shadows in the textures, tweaked the gloss of the hair, and chose a bit warmer tones for the skin this time. I should do something about the beret, it´s kinda bugging me for some reason. Also, the star I added on the insignia isn´t still fitting in (it´s made just with the diffuse, I´m too lazy to give it some normals).
    This time I also played with the presentation a bit ("fancy" gradient background, text and shadow around the model. no touch-ups were made on the model in PS), should look a lot better in the portfolio now.

Still not perfect, but I´m pretty satisfied with the result now. Anyway, any critiques are still appreciated, keep ´em coming if you have any.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    I dig the model but to be absolutely honest i think the presentation is weak. There is just too much black going on. Not a big fan of the drop shadow either.

If you are using Xoliul shader, can't you just use some more ambient light from a cube map? the should give you a nice lighting.

Also there are some oversaturated browns in the clothing that stick out to me..

Cheers
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks very nice! Lovely sculpt. I think the missing things are : a winning pose, a nice smile on the face instead of a 'classic soviet frown' and the flowers from the concept.

a colour tweak of the textures and slightly nicer presentation and its going to be amazing! :)