Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Retro Computer Terminal

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
stop619 polycounter lvl 8
I'm starting a new project based loosely on the DEC VT-100 computer terminal.

Reference:

dsc08286nh.jpg

dsc08282u.jpg

High Poly:

Just getting started, so not too much at the moment.

wip02jpg.jpg

wip03jpg.jpg

I've taken a few liberties and exaggerated a few details to help with normal map baking. Also, I'll be re-working the keyboard after the main case.

I'm hoping to develop this into a portfolio worthy low poly so I'll be using more poly's than what may be typically found in a simple prop.

In that regards, what do you suggest for the keys? Let's assume this is a 'hero' piece, can I get away with individual keys?

C&C welcome.

Thanks.

S6

Replies

• tesher07
    Can you please post a wire of the model? Besides that it looks like a great start.
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely a great start. And yes, need wires.
  • stop619
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

I ended up redoing both parts. Big lesson learned for not doing a blockout and getting main proportions correct.
    Still need to do a few more pieces on the back of the terminal and the wire connecting the keyboard.
    C&C welcome.

PS: Are the keys too big? These old school terminals had beefy keys but...

wip0103a.th.jpg
    wip0103b.th.jpg
    wip0103c.th.jpg
    wip0103wires.th.jpg

Thanks for looking.

S6
  • stop619
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

starting low poly

casewires04.jpg

casewires05.jpg

The smoothness of the front and rear corners are in contrast. I'm thinking about adding one more edge at the rear to soften it up.

casewires06.jpg

I was hoping to make a fairly detailed piece but I'm unsure with this area. What do you guys think, model the detail or normal map?

casewires07b.jpg

edit: tri count: 763

C&C is welcome.

Thanks for looking.

S-VII

• ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, been meaning to post some feedback. Overall the model is looking good. I'm wondering if you are going to model the disk drives as well and the connecting parts because I think the terminal and keyboard by themselves aren't that interesting. You should try to incorporate more of the details that you see there. The hi-poly seems to be clean its just lacking details.

Now in regards to the low poly. The parts you questioned should indeed be in the normal map, they are good candidates for baking. I think the grove coming from the top to the front of the screen could be in the normal map as well, you need to make sure the inset isn't 90 angle. The groove on the bottom half could be done the same as well. You have too much detail in small areas where it could be reduced. The bevels of the screen frame could be knocked down to about 4/5 sides. The actual screen could be knocked down a bit also, its unlikely someone could get that close to it and at the right angle to see how round the it really is.

Look forward to seeing more progress.
  • stop619
    Offline / Send Message
    @ajr2764: Thanks for the feedback. You are right, this thing is pretty boring. I initially wanted to try to stay as true as possible to the concept. I think I've done okay there, maybe now I can take some design liberties and spice things up a bit.

Anyway, here is the normal bake for the main case:

caselonormal01.jpg

caselonormal02.jpg

caselonormal03.jpg

Wires:

caselonormalwires.jpg

Stats:
    Tris: 582
    3ds Max VP Grab
    Xoliul Shader 1.6

I'm still looking for suggestions on the keyboard :)

Thanks.

S6