Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sewer Project

I'm in the early stages of a 3D environment I plan on building in UDK. It's a sewer environment that I planned on making fancy and new, but that's not nearly as fun as gross and old.

I'm new to Polycount and would really like to hear what people have to think of this idea. Critiques and feedback are always welcome!

sewerconcept.th.jpg

conceptblockout1.jpg

Replies

• ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Matt!
    looks cool, I'd like to see more of the wall panel details cuz it looks really cool in your drawing.
    Where are the lights going to be located in this scene? I feel like that will play a major role in getting the right feel for this location
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    What size is this? The handrail on the right and the thing on the left give off a different sense of scale. It could be a good idea to throw in a biped and see how it looks.

You also don't seem to be following your reference very closely? The slope on the right has a much different angle and size, the 'skateramp' on the left has different proportions too. The walkway in the sketch goes outside/behind the barred ring, while in the 3D version the walkway passes through the bars?
  • MADAMEC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I continued to work on this project throughout the past semester. This is what I have so far. I think I'm fairly close to a completed stage. I would really like some critiques, and pointers on how to fix any problems seen. Any bit helps so don't hesitate to comment.
  • MADAMEC
  • MADAMEC
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    One thing that really stands out to me is the high contrast of the red pipes with the rest of your environment. The bright red immediately draws and holds all the attention in the scene.

In addition, the paint on the pipes is much too clean compared to everything else. The walls and floor have heavy caked on grime and dirt, and in comparison the pipes look pristine. Chipping the paint some, introducing a little bit of rust in appropriate places, and adding a little dirt would help the appearance of the pipes greatly.

The hand railing texture is pretty obviously tiled, and like the pipes, too clean compared to the rest of the objects in the scene. Also, what physical material the railings are doesn't read well either. (I'm assuming they're metal.)

The strung up lights look good, but a couple more static meshes for the hanging wires between them to vary up the slack and draping could do wonders for the realism of the scene. That's just a nitpick though. I guess the sewer work that strung them could have had OCD. ;P

You have a very good start, and with some more work could really make this shine.
  • MADAMEC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot. I've heard I have to re-work the spec on my metal textures in general. I think that adding some wires could do the scene a lot of good. I'm looking into using a stamp method with alphas for grime and rust, I'm not sure how effective that will be.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Stamps and decals or projections are a good way to add variation to a scene or break up a tiling texture. So that should be very effective and easy to do.

Also, what I've started doing for a lot of my own environments in UDK is use vertex blending and painting. It uses less texture space and memory than having a lot of unique decals and grunge maps, and can produce almost infinite variation with little effort.

You can find a lot of threads here on Polycount on the technique by doing a search if you want to try it out. There is also a great tutorial on it here which you will see most people link to.