Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Russian soldier

My try at a soldier who's actually fighting a war for some time now and it starts to show on him ;)
Lowppoly version with baked normal and diffuse maps from Zbrush
2230 Poly

2011-01-06_0413.png

Replies

• limesimme
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Hi and welcome to Polycount (lookin' at your postcount)!

To start off, it's always nice to see some wireframe shots as well as the textured model, we want to see where those 2,2k polys are going ;)
    Some more specs are also nice, like the size of your diffuse!

To comment on the texture, his skin looks awfully pale, even though you are fighting a war, this is kinda extreme (some more redness would be great)
    I can't really figure where the guy on the right got that grey junk on his forehead, looks really weird.
    Continuing on the right side, his beard are supposed to be red-ish while the left one is brown, correct? What I see is wine-red beard on the right (intentional?) because I have never seen a wine-red beard before.

And If you look at the hairline, that just look, wrong (sorry, don't know how to explain).
    I guess the small part of texture, should not be there.

Without the wireframe I can see right now that your model have a quite hard silhouette for the neck, might placing some more polys there/round it off more.
  • Jister
    hey limesimme thanks for the comment. indeed still have to pimp some things on this WIP.

to pale you think? dunno, I'l give 'm a bit more color.
    the neck will mostly be cover by the neck collar of his sweater.
    about the beard you're right it should be plain black (maybe some darkgrey undertone) well the screen of my HP laptop sucks (running max), it has way less contrast and color then my mac (which i think is closer to what you're lookin at.
    wire coming up.

texture is 2048x2048 will also make a 1024x1024 cause the model should go to the source engine.

00000019.png
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 14
    Looks decent, but your underlying structure is a bit off, especially around the eyes.

I'm not the best person for this sort of thing but I did some quick PS edits to show what I mean
    quickiepaintover.jpg
  • Jister
    hmm he's russian not chinese ;)
    I aimed at caricaturized realism. He supossed to look as overstressed and derived of sleep.
    you're right i could make them a tiny bit smaller, but i kinda liked the feel of this. dunno gives him an extra intense (bit insane) look.
    thanks for the comment Shiniku
  • limesimme
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Jister wrote: »
    hey limesimme thanks for the comment. indeed still have to pimp some things on this WIP.

/snip/

I think I have found where lots of your polys are but not really put to "good use", the nose, you should really consider to cut some polys on the upper end of it, right between the eyes. I supposed you wanted clean edgeflow, but in the low-poly version there is no real need for that many polys for such a small part of the head.
  • Jister
    my heads are always around 2000-3000 poly, the body also and the hands between 1000-2000 depends on function of the model and so on. but in total a game character (of a bit importance) will be between 5000-10000 again depending on different factors. but as i see it less then 3000 poly for the head is ok in my book... don't feel like redoing the topology because that would mean just a bit too much reworking.
    keeping in mind this is a favour for a friends mod. (having a whole list of mods asking for game characters, trying to keep work period as closely as one character/week. rig included.)

adjusted beard color and gave him a bit more color.

00000020.png
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    just cuz of the thread name here's a paintover.

Alright so 2 things that you can do that will instantly make it look better.

1. the distance between the eyes is too wide, the rule of thumb is the distance between the eyes is the same as the width of one eye.

2. the neck is pinching into the head and then flares out like a cone, real necks don't do that, they go straight down, especially if its like a muscular soldier guy.

rspoj.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Those two things make it instantly better.
  • Sean VanGorder
    That's some pro advice.

The sharp angles on the neck seem a bit strange to me.
  • Jister
    thx, will see what i can do without stretching the texture to much. the neck is of no importance it will be covered with a thick collar but i'll adjust it if any part stays visible