Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harbour Town

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Sharvo keyframe
I am pretty poor when it comes to naming work, this piece was inspired by the splash damage art test and from an illustrator whos work i am really keen on. With those two things together i created the images below.

I have done a colour board as i want to keep my palette fairly tight as one of the problems in my last piece of work was that colour was all over the place and it didnt really have a focal point.

So, i am at the starting stage where i have just been modelling stuff, trying ti make it look like people live here, so if anyone can think of objects/props i could put in let me know, i got all the usual like crates, barrels but i was thinking of putting in some fishing rods and lobster cages maybe. If you see anything wrong with the modeling let me know, i think it is good enough.

I wrote a thread about udk and what is the best way f importing this in, examples; all in one go, multiple objects or all on their own. Let me know what you think will be best!

Anyway.... Images! Sorry bout the poor quality of jpegs should have done pngs so much nicer IMO.

2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    It's got a very "cute" feeling going for it right now, IMO. ATM, you could go either iconic or realistic and this piece could do very well. It all depends on the direction you're gonna go with the textures at this point. Good luck! Can't wait to see it!
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! We've just done this art test at university, it was a good project. Don't think anyone did one this big though due to it being a 3 week thing and noone really started till week 2. Have at some life reserves, boys, some rope about, Metal ankers to tie the rope around. Those T shaped objects on your jetty. There on my jetty look here: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/Addieo1989/05.jpg. Not trying boost my work in your thread just trying to help. Take anything out of my scene I don't mind.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking forward to see what you have in mind for a color palette and texture wise. If you do something cartoony like 38 Studios it would look interesting and you could apply there.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cheers for the positives so far, yeah i tackled the splash damage test a few years back but i like the idea they had from it so wanted to push it. I think the txturing will go sown the cartoony approach but will have to see how the initial texturing goes first!

But i will keep you all updated! Oh i have a colour board but it is so bad in terms of quality i have scribbled over a bit of colour on a render, but may post it later with something a bit more worthwhile.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.reckoningthegame.com/

that's the game 38 studios is working... i like the edgy style of their textures. Cartoony! so i think this could be a good ref to look at for inspiration.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey thanks Glottis8 will take a look in to it more, once i start the real texturing! So, unwrapping has begun and whilst i am making progress i thought it is time to show a nice render and an image of the colour board with the sort of colours i will be looking at. I want to post it as i want your opinion if you think it will work, if it is ugly or you just dont understand it, let me know :)

HarbourTown.pngcolourboard.png
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good... reminds me of dexters lab.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    unwrapping is coming a long nicely and i am starting to think about exporting all this in to udk. I created a thread in the technical talk awhile back asking a similar question of how to get this all in to udk and got a number of results guess i should have given a bit more detail on what i wanted it.

My thoughts are this... not to take it all in one go, doesnt work well.

Take in individual objects and then copy them within udk to move them around, for example a barrel or box. This is the approach i have been taking is this correct i am pretty new to udk, so if anyone knows how they would go about doing this, i would greatly appreciate it.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    could be really cool! go on!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Sharvo wrote: »
    unwrapping is coming a long nicely and i am starting to think about exporting all this in to udk. I created a thread in the technical talk awhile back asking a similar question of how to get this all in to udk and got a number of results guess i should have given a bit more detail on what i wanted it.

My thoughts are this... not to take it all in one go, doesnt work well.

Take in individual objects and then copy them within udk to move them around, for example a barrel or box. This is the approach i have been taking is this correct i am pretty new to udk, so if anyone knows how they would go about doing this, i would greatly appreciate it.

You will definitely want to bring in assets individually in UDK. Try refraining from merging objects and bringing them as single meshes because you need to do the following.

1) Setup shaders for different materials (Glass, Wood vs Metal, vertex paint? etc)

2) Create 2nd uv channels and lightmaps for baking on assets (you can always opt to just show dynamic viewports but I honestly think Lightmass, postprocess and shadow map baking are a must skill to show in itself)

3) More control and allows tweaking to final scene

4. Easier to update individual assets then merged assets.

5. Less chance of crashing (multi-materials)
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    kaburan wrote: »
    You will definitely want to bring in assets individually in UDK. Try refraining from merging objects and bringing them as single meshes because you need to do the following.

Thanks for the clarification and yes i know of all that lovely post processing goodness udk can do, so will implement that into the work.

SimonT thanks for the encouragement i hope it does turn out really cool! I got a few ideas/experiments i want to try, but not sure how they will turn out!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Confused!

Hey all well, i am getting a bit confused as this is my first real piece going into udk, i am importing all the models in with seperate maps for lightmass etc i know how to change uv channels for materials.

But was wondering if you texture it in maya as well as udk to see if everything is looking correct? I guess i am just a bit nervous of udk and dont know it well enough, taking a long time to import etc! Also is there a way of turning off the snapping you get from moving things?

But this will be the process i take which is the same as maya...

import all models bit them in the correct place
    import textures
    create materials and put them on relevant models
    light scene
    post process stuff
    build it

Is this correct or am i missing anything?

Oh looks like the texturing will go down a slightly realistic approach but this was mainly a test to see if it all looked ok.

textureTest.png
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    What software are you using? This more looks to be straight forward if you arent picky about the polies, perhaps beveling those hard edges and creating extra geometry around the end of the pipe might help out.

Also the base needs to be beveled =\

Over all for a low polycount worth of scene this is an amazing idea.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yo, i am using maya for modeling! Yeah nothing is bevelled at the moment but i will be bevelling some areas that i feel need it. Like the sides of the houses and some objects. But i dont want to go crazy on the polies either!

But i am having problems in udk i am not sure what is going on with my lighting! I have had a look at a few tutorials on lighting, but i dont understand why mine are coming out weird the image below shows it better than i can, basically whenever i put a light in it doesnt produce any shadows it just has these black blobs near objects! If you want any specific details on the lights let me know but all i have atm is a spot light and dominent directional light, lightmass is also turned on.

For lightmass to work though do i need two uv channels for my objects or is one sufficient if anyone knows any tutorials that may help me please let me know!

Oh and that is definatly not the final look :)

udkLight.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Dun DUN DUH SSAO strikes again. Turn off AO in the UT_Post process chain. (Default should be FX_HitEffects Package -> UT post process Console -> Look for AO -> Turn off SSAO or tweak it a lot. Default settings are ridiculous. Lightmass require a channel where everything has a unique 0 -1 uv space (ie no overlaps) Also you want to start off with a dominant directional light to get your sun in there. Once thats done start putting in lights well where lights go. Next step is too add lights where necessary and tweak a lot of the shadows and dominant directional light settings.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.hourences.com/tutorials/

One of the best places to learn some of the basics of unreal.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Set up your own post-process chain to edit and drive post fx in your scene. Editing this via the UT_Postprocess chain will give you these effects on all your other maps since It's local based in your UDK folder. Setting up your own chain (right click in package, create postprocess chain) will allow you to set up post fx for maps individually, so it won't affect any of your other stuff in the future.

Scene looks solid, change your AO settings via a post-process chain. For importing into the UDK you can export it all as one mesh and have this as your template (since you did all the positioning in maya) then start importing your assets properly in 0 world space, modular chunks, light maps and all that jazz, using your shell template to get the correct positioning. Then you can delete the shell and voila.

Environment color will colorize your shadows, blue is normally good with environment intensity on 0.7, mixing this with a yellowish dominant directional light (make sure its not movable, there are two types, you want the normal one) will give you a nice day time rig, but if you're doing another light rig then of course change the settings accordingly.

Skydomes and heightfog are vital keys in selling lighting too, you can access heightfog by going to your actor class window under the info tab (It'll be labelled heightfog, click it once, right click in your scene and click add heightfog here, this will add subtle depth and help color your scene)

Good stuff and goodluck, check out hourences, eat3d, 3dmotive and chris beubhlan (sp) for awesome UDK tutorials.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    First of all thanks a bunch for your replies, really helpful, i am still having a few problems with the ambient occlusion, but i am not worried about that just yet.

Thanks for the links hourences seems to be the most in depth and all of that is free!!!! is crazy!

Thanks Mr Bear for going into a lot of detail about certain aspects! I have been looking into fog and will definatly look into it when it comes to that stage at the moment i want to just get everything in there wand working :)

Well i got a screen shot from udk which is below hope you like, let me know your crits!

Highres_Screenshot_00001.png
  • Envart
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Well i have done a lil bit since last time so thought i may as well post it up. plus these threads get buried pretty fast with all the work that is going on here, love it all! Giving me loads of ideas and things to think about! So here you go i recently picked up banjo kazooie for the 360 as i felt that was quite close to what i want to achieve with this piece and i think it will be on going as i want to add so much more, like a harbour in the background to the left, a canal behind these buildings leading to more houses, but for now i am going to concintrate on what i got here.

harbourTown004.png

harbourTown003.png
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know man, I know it's still early in your texturing. But i get the impression you are only manipulating photos and slapping them on your environment. They are really doing nothing to your environment. In you mocks you have solid colors, so i really don't know if you were gonna follow a cartoony approach, or try to make your env more realistic. Anywho... if you want realistic i think you could go like mirrors edge... so far that is what your scene reminds me... at least for texturing purposes.

Always remember photos are manipulated as a guideline, most of the time they are manipulated so much that they don't match your photos. Wether is painting over them.. making brushes. Things like that.

Now... think about what makes sense. In construction you only see wood planks and beams holding up concrete when they are building it... but these buildings look more like they are finished, So how come the holding frames are wood? I think you need to rethink your whole scheme and make it look consistent and go with a style that fits your environment. I think it has a lot of potential.

But this is just my opinion :)
    Just trying to give you a different perspective on your work. Keep us posted!marquette_upper_harbor_ore_dock.jpg

mirrors-edge-005.jpg