Home General Discussion

Drawing Pencils - Recommendation

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings folks;

Although I prefer using the graphics tablet such as Intuos 4 mid for drawing while I am home. I get alot of time to study the stuff at work and practice my drawing.

That being said. There are couple of Pencils that I have been using and I am a good fan of Led pencil. I am using 0.5HB which is great for good sketch out and shading stuff but it gets too dark for just a doodle.

I know this sounds a pretty noob question and I have searched around the web for good ones. This website doesnt have that question so... any recommendations?

PS: I know I am really bored and this was the only question I could come up with xD

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Try something other than mechanical pencils, just go to an art store and buy lots of various pencils, try them out see what you like best. It's a good exercise to try different things.
    I still like using blue colerase pencils for sketching, not that I do it much these days anymore unfortunatly. I like their softness, and if I decide I want to go further with the drawing, I can always switch to led or ink later on.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See if you can pick up a little set of pencils which contain a range of grades.

Bal's suggestion to grab a few different brands is great, there's not really an answer to 'which one is best', it's more a case of which feel good to you.

Personally, I use a little set with 7H thru 7B which is a pretty low cost WHSmith (UK stationer) set, and I prefer it over some of the more expensive brands I've tried (Windsor/Derwent etc).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are different grades of hardness too. H is harder, B is softer, HB is in between. If you like mechanical pencils, check out H, and also I think the number next to it indicates different hardness like 2H vs. 4H. Also they come in different thicknesses, .3 vs. .5 vs. .7 etc.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are different grades of hardness too. H is harder, B is softer, HB is in between. If you like mechanical pencils, check out H, and also I think the number next to it indicates different hardness like 2H vs. 4H. Also they come in different thicknesses, .3 vs. .5 vs. .7 etc.

Yep, here in the UK we use that grading system, H (for hard) and B (for black) so 7H would be super hard and light, and 7B would be very very dark and fairly soft. HB is the common 'middle ground', there's also an 'F' which is a slightly harder HB.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Love my pencils. Honestly, for quick studies and sketches I use a normal pencil(the non mechanical) in 2B, sometimes I use it up to 4B. It's great for putting down large areas of shading due to the softness and width of the nib, as it gets round quickly as it's so soft.

After I've got my idea's sketched out, then i either take out my mechanical pencil, this I use for redrawing and adding detail, as my sketches get messy quite quickly. I have mechanical in three sizes, .7, .5, and .35 but in B. the .7 i use for the thicker lines, particularly for the large shapes, and then I use the .5 for mid, and the .35 - which produces an impressively fine line for small details. But I still return to using the normal pencil in 2B - 6B for my shading, even on the clean version.

I also second getting the set of pencils, best way to experience the different grades, I've got a set of Faber Castell pencils that range from 8B - HB and from F - 2H.

EDIT, just saw creationtwentytwo posts, F is between HB and H in hardness, and yes, H gets harder as it grows in number, e.g. 7H as he said is hard, and B is soft and gets softer as it grows in number, e.g. 7B is very soft. I prefer to think of the grading in terms of softness as opposed to large and dark value. Simply because 1 minute of using a 7B would end with it becoming very round after using it from a point but leaves a dark line, where as a 7H would still be very sharp but leaves a very light line - all comes down to how easily the graphite is transferred to the paper.. The H pencils are great for laying down guidelines.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I meant to add, I much prefer non-mechanical pencils for sketching, I find mechanicals feel too 'technical' to get any real flow going, great for refining as KaptainKernals said, but a bit too brittle and focused to sketch loosely with.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already have a set of pencils (DALER ROWNEY's set of 12) and some random mechanical pencil capable of 0.5 HB Led which I use for random drawings.

So you guys mean to say that I should not mechanical pencil but carry the entire set with me all the time o.o. Though I did work with 2B before and it was really great for laying out the rough sketch, but thing with mechanical pencils and traditional pencils are traditional pencils require a sharp edge if you want to have some work done with it. Means you have to sharp it over and over until your art is done. (I am a bit lazy in that matter) Though I was hoping that someone "especially C22" would suggest me a good Led pencil set brand they use to make comic arts with. But meh. :D

thanks everyone.

EDIT: Some set like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzZffdJD_k&playnext=1&list=PL1198E4B8D1CC6759&index=49

He never tells what brand of pencil was he using. >.< and I watched this vid(s) 10 times.

EDIT2: I am just talking about the Mechanical pencils not the inking material.
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost always start drawing with a colerase Red or orange pencil. It let's you layer strokes on top of each other and doesn't smear, making it perfect for sketching. If I like the drawing, I'll go over it with graphite or ink. It's pretty much standard in animation.

Check out Nico Marlet's work for a good example of how colerase is used to sketch a base.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I use staedtler HB noris pencils for all (GERMAN QUALITY), and when the paper conditions are bad (due to the %humidity), same brand but with different grades of B.

120_degrees_11091.jpg

With Mechanical pencils i use HB and 2B mines aswell.

also, for darker tones, i have some Staedtler Mars Lumograph that are very very good. the bad thing is that is difficult to buy them here :S, we don't have good art retailers as in USA.

100_degrees_11081.jpg

The paper is also quite important.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speaking of paper, I have one of those cheap sketch book(s) you find in Walmart :D which is enough for any doodle to be scanned on PC.

anyways as I was saying that I was expecting someone would give out 2.0HB or 2.0 2B mechanical pencil brands the one he is using for his comic sketch but I guess everyone have their own taste.

Thanks anyways. I'll see if I can find these to some use. :)
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Well, as for brands with a 2.0 mechanical pencil, there are 3 I'd look at, Staedtler, Faber Castell, and Rotrim, look at those brands, in my opinion they are the top and can get pricy, especially Rotrim.

But as for keeping it sharp, you can use some paper to sharper it - by rubbing the nib while rotating to get a point - I often do that when I need a really fine point. Or carry a knife or something with an edge to shave off graphite till you have an point.

EDIT - As for HB or B or 2B, you just buy the leads in the grading you want, and put them into the mechanical pencil.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry not a huge fan of the pencil.

I just wanted to suggest that you try sketch with a pen (plain old ballpoint ink rather than gel), you might like it.

Need a light mark -> press lightly, need shading -> crosshatch.

Best of all, no need to erase or sharpen anything :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I use staedtler HB noris pencils for all (GERMAN QUALITY), and when the paper conditions are bad (due to the %humidity), same brand but with different grades of B.

120_degrees_11091.jpg

With Mechanical pencils i use HB and 2B mines aswell.

also, for darker tones, i have some Staedtler Mars Lumograph that are very very good. the bad thing is that is difficult to buy them here :S, we don't have good art retailers as in USA.

100_degrees_11081.jpg

The paper is also quite important.

Its way too difficult to buy them in Canada bro I might have to call them at 9 and find out if I can visit their wear house or if they can give me the location of their suppliers.

I tried searching it off the Amazon, Walmart, Chapters, Intego, Staples but I am out of luck.

Its the 2.0 mm Led holder(s) Led, Led sharpner, ink pointer is all I want. I've been looking for this stuff for sometime now.

If only Staedtler has a Purchase option :(.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Led pencils are my favorite too..Any type of pencil cant beat its flexibility..

I personally using 0.6 leads which is rare heh i dont know maybe i have an obsession to 0.6 (good thing people couldnt lend your leads:) )

And i think TOMBOW leads are really nice both toning and hardness.

I personnaly dont like the special sketching papers.I feel its for a regular pencil and fits better to the quick figure sketching.

Cheap,second quality papers are better which is thinner.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    +1 for the Colerase blue pencils. They really don't erase very well, but there's a kind of waxiness to the lead that makes them really nice to draw with. My scanner doesn't pick the blue up too well, but If I just overlay my sketches using multiply then it works pretty good.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    Instead of starting a new thread - i notice heaps of my pens smudge after i apply marker and bleed. What are some ones i can ink with that wont do this?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson wrote: »
    Instead of starting a new thread - i notice heaps of my pens smudge after i apply marker and bleed. What are some ones i can ink with that wont do this?

What sort of paper are you using? And what pen/marker for inking?

There are non bleeding ones as well but the paper matters when inking the art is in order.

https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?Category=A071B004143&Source=Search

Try this store out and see if it works for you.

They also have non bleeding markers.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I've always used mech pencils with heavy lead. I've taken to the 0.7 and 0.9 over the years for loose sketching and I rarely do any kind of detailed drawing so I rarely use 0.5.

Straight up, it really doesn't make a difference, for the most part. I draw on typing paper when it's near, and I draw with whats in arms reach.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Here the rare thing is mechanical pencils with 0,7 and 0,9 XDDD, the standard is 0,5.

There's a great difference in working with good materials than with scholar materials. For example, for inking is quite important to have good materials, papers of quality included.

I use papers format A4/A3 of different quality, but all of 100gr/m^2, some for penciling, and others just for inking.

If some of you wants to draw a lot, i recommend a good LED light box for tracing. Using 2B pencils or darker ones, we almost don't need to ink :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    funny story, the sound of pencil on paper is like nails on a chalkboard to me, I typically have to plug my ears up if I draw with pencil. I drew with bic pens as a kid, i got pretty good at getting light gradients out of them.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    2B wooden pencil all the way
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Worked a nice notch into my Derwent 'B' pencil only got about another month of use till i run out of space to hold it ;D

PRANG offer quite alot of softer lead pencils which are very fun to use, but they smudge like a bitch so keep your hand high. Ive got a 5B left from a mini set.

The rest are no name pencils from where ever i happen to use one, got quite a few mechcanical ones too, 0.8 - 0.1

I'd say the derwent last me the longest but ive found a few great pencils that have lasted a good year at a time. (just to clarify its not how long the pencil lasts, its that i actually kept it for a year)
  • Codexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Codexus polycounter lvl 11
    I like the colerase as well. They are great for quick loose sketching but they are the ultimate flattering pencils. They'll make your drawings look better than they really are. So you have to be extra careful if you intend to ink your drawing that you don't leave too many things unresolved.

Also in general, hard pencils and mechanical pencils are better for detailed line work, soft ones for loose sketches. So choose according to your style/preferences.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Blaizer wrote: »
    If some of you wants to draw a lot, i recommend a good LED light box for tracing. Using 2B pencils or darker ones, we almost don't need to ink :P

Seconded.

My lightbox is one of the best things I ever bought. I have a 2' x 3' Portatrace. I don't use it all that much, but it still has a special place in my heart.