Home Technical Talk

Is it possible to open 64bit file in 3d max 32bit?

I've created some easy object in 3d max 64 bit. But I'm on holiays right now and I forgot that my laptop has Windows 32bit and 3d max 32bit.
Is it possible to open this 64bit file in some way?
The file contains simple geometry without textures etc..

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    It wouldn't make a difference, 32 and 64 just basically make sure it uses your full computers power. In a nutshell.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well sometimes you get dll error messages if you created the scene with plugins that the other computer your opening it with doesn't have. I had that in the past with CAT or when opening scenes from other studios that used their own plugins / pipeline stuff.

I would highly assume that the 32 and 64 bit max versions themselves don't relate to such issues but then again I never tried it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Frell: Thats got nothing to do with the issue mate. What the OP wants to know is whether a file created with a 64bit build will open on a 32bit build. Max is known for having file opening issues between versions.

Gerbeiter: I take it you've tried which means its not working for you directly. If you like you can PM me, swap emails and ill convert it to an OBJ for you(im working in 2011 64bit).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Max is known for having file opening issues between versions.
    It's never had issues opening 32bit in 64bit modes or vice versa. It has always been backward compatible, its never had an issues opening older versions (3dsmax5) in newer versions (3dsmax2011) regardless of which mode it was saved as 32/64bit, that has never mattered.

Like a lot of software it does have a problem with forward compatibility, (newer versions in older) but again that isn't a 32/64bit thing its a version issue. That is pretty common for a lot of apps.3dsmax 2011 included an option to save back to 2010 format but that's as far as the backward compatibility goes at this point. Moving forward they've said they will keep the feature alive meaning all future versions will save back to previous file formats back to 2010.

Ever since they included 32 and 64bit modes I've been switching back and forth freely without issues. Our render farm runs on 32bit and it accepts and converts 64bit jobs without a problem.

The only difference that I know of is that if you run in 32bit mode it will fail to access all of the memory in your system and cap out at the old 32bit settings. Which if you have a really heavy scene that works with 16gb of ram it might slow to a crawl in 32bit mode but that's not surprising and not a version missmatch issue.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems im out of date, (max 9/backburner being my last experience mixing the 2). Cheers for the clarity Vig.

They actually mentioned an Ascii file format for max as part of XBR. That'd be damn awesome.
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, can I ask you to help me? Here is the file http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25956980/22.rar

Could anyone do sthg I could open it in 3dmax 32?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerbeiter wrote: »
    Could anyone do sthg I could open it in 3dmax 32?
    What version of max do you need to open it in?
    3dsmax4
    3dsmax5
    3dsmax6
    3dsmax7
    3dsmax8
    3dsmax9
    3dsmax2008
    3dsmax2009
    3dsmax2010
    3dsmax2011
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.robertfletcher.org/public_files/22_converted.zip

Removed the TS modifiers and exported it to an OBJ. that'll open in anything. you'll need to redo your cages.

Out of interest what does max say when you try to open that max file?
  • Gerbeiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r - Thanks for convert the file. Now I can open it and looks pretty ok :)
    These 'TS modifiers' were problem probably.

Mark Dygert - I needed in 3dmax9 or 3dmax2009
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, TS was an abbreviation of turbosmooth. They wouldnt have caused any problem, i removed them so your geometry wouldnt be smoothed in the obj file.

If those versions you mentioned are the ones you tried to open the file with then that is the problem, You seem to have created the max file in max 2011(im guessing that as i didnt get an obselete file format warning). like Mark said opening old max files with new releases of max is fine but it wont work in the other direction.