Home General Discussion

windows 7

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
which version is the minimum I will need. I obviously want to pay as little as possible so was thinking of just getting the home premium edition. will that be ok for doing my work stuff?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ah ok, thanks for the info
  • Grimm_Wrecking
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently had to make the same decision, I went for Professional over Home Premium for a few reasons.
    I'm not a Windows expert (was a Mac user for 5 years prior to switching earlier this year), so there may be workarounds to some of these points?

Firstly, no compatibility mode. While there hasn't been a lot of times I've used it, there has certainly been at least 5 occasions where I've had to run something in 'XP Mode', especially old installation/setup files.

Secondly, network backup. This is probably available with 3rd party software, but I find Win7's built in backup system to be pretty good, and backing up to network drives is useful.

Also, be careful if you decide to go for an OEM version. They are a fair bit cheaper, but come with risks. I've got an OEM copy and you have to call up Microsoft every time you want to activate it if you ever need to do a wipe/reinstall, or swap your primary hard drive. They give you a bit of an interrogation as to why you have an OEM copy, and if you didn't buy it with a system, or primary system components (as I did) then you might have trouble getting them to activate it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Home has a compatibility mode I believe. What you are talking about is the XP emulator thats only available with Pro or Ultimate. In other words a virtual machine.

No reason for home x64 edition. Other than... Its missing the interface for direct implementation of system rules. So turning off the built in tablet functions can be a bit harder since you have to edit the registry. But its still possible and easy enough. In fact I think there is a .reg file someone has on another site that sets them off for you (the built in tablet functions on windows 7 mess with your wacom/annoy) for all editions.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I want to utilize my full 8GB ram, so I will need 64 bit version for that though
    oXYnary?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yeah you need 64bit to use 8gb ram.

Can't agree on Ultimate tho. I've been using Home Premium on my main machine and I don't see a reason, except maybe win backup and remote desktop, to use Ultimate. I never had to use the XP emulator, and compatibility mode is included in Home premium. All recent 3D apps and games work flawlessly with home premium - much better than with Vista or even XP 64.

I also could turn off tablet features without resorting to editing the registry, simply via the control panel (Programs and Features - enable/disable windows features)

The full home premium should include both 64 and 32 bit CDs - it did at least when I bought it.

For activation - install windows, install all drivers, then activate, then make a full backup with a program like Acronis. Then you can reinstall without activation - worked for me even after changing stuff like RAM, HDDs and video cards :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Home 64bit = 8gb ram max
    Premium 64bit = 16gb ram max
    Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate 64bit = 192gb ram max

All versions of 7 have 'XP compatibility mode', just not all of give you a license to download the xp virtual machine (its not built in).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz wrote: »
    I want to utilize my full 8GB ram, so I will need 64 bit version for that though
    oXYnary?

yes. Here is something to think about. If you get a OEM versus a retail copy. You will be stuck on the computer you install. You will have to purchase a new license with your next computer. Retail you can transfer your license as long as its on one computer at a time.

Cheapest solution right now. x64 home oem. However with the above.
    Minus.
    -Cant put on another puter.
    -Cant upgrade past 8 gigs.

x64 OEm Pro . up to 192gb.
    -Cant put on another puter

X64 home retail.
    -Can put on another puter.
    -Cant upgrade past 8 gigs

x64 pro retail.
    Minus: Price.

So the cheapest solution is the OEM x64 home. However as stated. Your going to be limited. The long term solution that will cost you more now but less down the line is the x64 Pro Retail.

PS. Little known fact. The serial numbers are interchangeable between 32bit and 64bit of the same version. So if you have a 32bit license key of 7 home, you can install the 64bit version of home and use that key AND version (oem and retail cds/keys not the same) Again. As long as some computer/hardware and not both installed at once.

Its how I got x64 on some machines at work since they came with 32bit windows 7 home. I had a x64 home oem install disk, used the serial that came with the new machines. Walah. You might have to do the phone verification if you or the computer maker already activated the license. But as long as you have it on one computer and the same one. Not an issue.

P.S. Kwramm you still have to do the registry for one hook. I forget which. I think its the "pulse/cicle" animation that happens when you use the pen and press. This is especially annoying when working with multiple monitors and going between programs. Turning off the pen services doesn't do it. Have to do in the registry with home.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    hmm nope. all works fine here in CS3 and ZBrush :) Intuos 3 on home premium x64 family pack. I only have a single 30" monitor though. I might have turned off some tablet services via the administrative tools but it's the first time that I heard of this registry hack. I use home premium on a couple of PCs...anyway, thanks for the warning. Good to know if I ever run into any table problems...maybe when I'm getting that Cintiq some day ;)

also if you run OEM, if you need to install it on another machine, just call MS's hotline. They don't really give a damn why you're reinstalling or on what machine (at least not in my country). It's almost silly that you have to call them at all.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thanks for all the info guys. will have a look see in the new year
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Also, Ultimate/Pro support two physical CPUs, while the other supports only one.