Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Color

heckyes.png

Alright everyone, for the last 2 and a half months I have been working with a small team in Unity on a very unique game that's come to be known as Color. We have put a lot into this but still have a lot to go! Sadly we have hit a pretty big road block, we need money. So we have decided its high time we show this game to the world!

Here you can help us out by; watching, donating, and sending this to all your freinds! - The Color kickstarter

Also expect updates frequently here! We at Dream Dev would love to stay informed on what you guys think!

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm....reminds me of the game Fat Princess. :shifty:
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It's an interesting idea but I'm not a fan of the visual style of the game mainly cause it looks like you used Unity's toon shader which always seems to stand out to me. Heck I used it in one of my pieces but only cause my programmers didn't have time to make their own.

I hope you find money cause it'd be a shame to see this unfinished and fade into dust.
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, as for the shader that's something we have been discussing doing our own, which is seeming to be more and more needed! Thanks for the kind words though Habboi!
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    Your base concept is solid. However, your execution needs a lot of love.

The first issue is visual. To get to the point, the current style and art of the game feel very underdone. Black and white base environments can certainly work, but if you're going to use blue and red as team-colors, there's not really a need to limit yourself to black and white environments. You lose a ton of life, color, and interest by doing so. Think of tony Hawk's graffiti design, Essentially the same, each player tries to cover the map in their color, but they still used fully realized environments.

Having stylized "cartoonish" characters is more than fine, but right now, the characters aren't defined visually. They're excessively simple, particularly in silhouette. The general concept of your environments is entertaining, seeing things like the giant paintbrush and platforming elements.

You're also suffering from very inexpressive animation. It quite simply lacks flare.
    I of course realize that you're still in the base stages of prototype production, but these are things I think you need to address quickly. It looks like you have enough back-end support for a prototype, and right now, I'd say you need to nail the visuals in order to convince outside sources to support you.
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the CC man, seriously helpful. This is the 1st time I have ever worked with animation but I will work on exaggerating it more tonight. I was planning on replacing the 2D eyes with 3D eyes that blink and squizz shut when the char gets hurt ect ect to add some expression, still not sure how that will look though.

As for the colors, Im really not wanting to add color, however basic to the world but I do agree that it looks drag right now, so after I finish revamping the map I plan to work with maybe some hues and things of that nature...

Once again thank you so much for all the advice.
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so here is a small update...

We have been trying to think of ways to make the world seem more vibrant, so we decided to start working with some detailed hand painted textures for. This means we will be redoing a lot of the enviro. A little peak of what we are working with now...

updatehandpainted.png

Comments welcome!
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Not bad but add to natetheartist's comment I really think you should look at the bigger picture of animation, I don't think he meant the characters weren't expressive enough in terms of their facial animations or anything, but rather the overall movement of your characters. The animations are extremely mechanical and I think a nice touch to making the character classes more distinguishable from one another would be now a character looks when moving. Currently I find it a little hard to tell each of the classes apart, they are all relatively small and the only defining feature seems to be be the characters hat. Maybe try different tints and shades of red or blue for the different classes?

Also the detailed textures are look good and should make the game look better, are you planning on keeping everything grey though or try out what other people have mentioned?

Also I suggest putting more color into your blue team. When you have a grey environment and about 50% of your blue team is covered in a cool grey it makes the blue team a bit less appealing to play as from an aethetic level. Get as much blue in there as you've got red in for the red team. Don't be afraid of using some variations of team colors or complementary colors on your characters.
    Another thing I find a little strange though is how your promising an already planned DLC pack to donators? Wouldn't it be better to just add any DLC plans to the main game and if you really have to promise something just suggest that donators get whatever the first DLC pack will be? By having a name and everything for the DLC expansion it almost sounds like you already planned to leave stuff out of the main game.

I also think a nice touch would be to make the colors on the floor look less feathered and blurred, if possible if you could make the edges of the colored areas look like paint splatters or something that would be pretty neat, especially for when those giant buckets get tipped over.

But yeah, the overall concept is interesting, will be fun to see how the game develops. Goodluck dudes!
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's wrong with adding some color to the lighting? That alone would address some huge issues with the presentation.

I get that the game is focused around adding color to areas where there's no color, but looking at the video what's apparent is that after a few minutes the entire game looks a bit formless and dead. It's like you skinned a game with my 3dsmax ui or something. In theory I guess the idea works, but longterm I can really see this being a major presentation issue.

I hate to bring up the cliche comparison, but mirror's edge did a good job of taking a relatively lifeless texture base and turned it into something colorful, without really adding color. I'd think about experimenting with the coloration schemes of the atmosphere and sunlight to give a little more depth and life to the scene. As others have mentioned as well, adding color to specific world assets, or points of interest likely wouldn't kill the style your going for as well.
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much everyone for the advice! Ill work on making the walk cycles unique today! I also really do like the idea of playing with the lighting and adding color threw that. I greatly appreciate all of the advice and complements you guys are supplying!

Note - 58 days left to gain $8,000, we plan to keep making the game something you guys can look at and be super happy with! Of course, to continue the development process we need a budget, thanks for the help guys!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    It seems like an interesting idea. I'm wondering about the $8k thing, but then I don't know about costs. If the engine is $1,500 then are server costs $6,500? Or is this going towards your upkeep too? My advice to you would be to make sure you guys sound like you wanna be there! It sounds like you are having to do this for an assignment or something in your presentation.
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after the engine and server stuff (we planned for having enough to hold servers up for at l least a year" we need to hire someone to do a few tracks for the game, and then the rest will go into marketing/extra things that pop up.

For the next video Im going to try and cure that problem, thanks for the advice!

ALSO -

I have been working on some more hand-painted texture stuff today, I did play with the walk cycles a bit but I will definitely need to do a lot more with them, I want to make each one really reflect the class. Anyways here is a little picture of what I have been working on!
    housescene.png

Lastly, the programmer will be back tomorrow so we will be able to get some tech stuff done also! hopefully we will do some playing with the lighting.
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a long time sense our last update but.....

There is a new video showing everything we have been working on for Color now on the kick starter- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748857694/color
  • Builder_Anthony
    I really like the idea behind the game.

Colors seem to be really bad though.

Id maybe soften up the charaters also maken them a bit freindlier.I think younger ages would be your target.

I think alot needs to be reworked and id probally just use this setup you have now as a rough layout for a game.The game strategy though is very impressive.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    I watched the video, and I'm fairly impressed! It's looking great so far. I have no money really, but I wish you guys the best. I'll throw this video around in a couple other places instead.

Good luck with this game. I look forward to its release :D
  • Priske415
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much guys!
  • Priske415