Home General Discussion

Going from Film to Game

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Porkpie Samurai polycounter lvl 15
I've been working in film and tv for about 3 years in a few different studios
and am thinking about switching over to games. My main issues with film is that its very much contract centric so you kind of need to be on the look out for the next job every 9 months or so also as a result I feel management doesn't really care about the ever fluctuating team members so long as projects get done on time.
The real reason I'd like to switch is I like the idea of being purely a character artist. Working in film you occasionally get to do a creature/characters but you mostly end up making whatever is needed, environments, props, vehicles which isn't really a bad thing
but it can be grueling.
I'd like to hear from artists that have made the switch and what your thoughts are on changing over to games.

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i started in film as well... it was annoying to have to be jumping from project to project. No job stability. The good thing, is that i got to work on a lot of projects, making my portfolio more attractive. Also... game developers tend to lean on hiring people that have the movie background. So i'm sure you will be fine. Now a days game developers want people that are specialized on one thing only, so you'll be happy if you find work as character artist. :) so good luck on your hunt... do you have any thoughts on were you will be applying?
  • Porkpie Samurai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot. Very reassuring. I will apply at some studios in Vancouver and then try for montreal I think.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I dont mean to bring you down in any way man, just provide a different perspective!

I have worked with one guy personally and know of a couple of others that were fired because of an eliteism that they posessed from coming from film.

They kicked up a fuss or downright refused to deal with much outside of making high poly sculpts, and making textures. I think its pretty rare these days to find a position where you will get to produce art 100% of the time. Theres a lot more technical, non artistic stuff that goes into making characters 'game ready'

I think as long as you dont expect to be that rockstar who only gets to sculpt monsters all day - youll be fine man! Your works kickass im sure you wont have any issues!
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Funny, I work in games and we talk about making the jump to film. I think games are moving more towards the film and contract positions. The place I'm at have rarely hired a fulltime artist in the last three years. I think employers are taking advantage of the flooded game artist community and offering as little as possible. We've had so many "seasonal rolloffs" (i hate this term) these past 3-4 years in Vancouver.

You're a talented guy. I'm sure you'll find something. Especially if looking in Montreal. Seems that's where all the action is happening these days in Canada anyhow.

Best of luck to you!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Hazardous wrote: »
    I think as long as you dont expect to be that rockstar who only gets to sculpt monsters all day - youll be fine man! Your works kickass im sure you wont have any issues!

I think any place you go and you have that attitude you would get fired o_O
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i'm doing both, works great for me

but i'm usually not working inhouse and have even shorter periods in between jobs more around 3-6 months rather than your 9
  • Porkpie Samurai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses. Its good to get a few opinions. I agree it would suck to have some diva coming in and want to only do hero stuff.
    Neox: So you freelance as an artist for both film and games? Do you think it doesn't matter if your from film as long as your have character/creature work to show your a candidate for game work?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well my experience is the other way around, i cam from games and started working on films during the last few years, from my experience a lot of technical stuff is unknown to most film artists, be it tight uv layouts (not only stretchfree, but also using space efficiently and such things) - or gameready topologies, basicly whats usually not going to happen (it can though) is that you will be doing the sculpts only, you'll have to learn how to unwrap properly, how to texturize for games (yeah its pretty different with a lot of premade information such as lighting painted/baked into the maps), how to save texturespace, how to build good topologies and stuff.
    But its sure no rocketscience - normalmaps can be, but you can learn it quite quick here on polycount and with the wiki as well, you are a good artist so i have no doubt you will be good for games as well and your pipelineknoqledge should be worth a lot to game companies, because thats whats imho missing too often in games, a proper pipeline.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Porkpie,

Have you ever thought of working at a studio like Blur? they make tons of CG stuff for games and commercials.

Or are you more interesting in making game art?

from your initial post it just seems you want a stable job, and i think working at a studio like blur would be a good fit for you :)

Im not sure how they work,if there contract based or not but it would be easier to go into something like that than just jumping into game art.

Cheers,

Arman