Home General Discussion

titan

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-12-17-blizzard-vp-confirms-titan-project

not sure if this has been posted already but it might be of interest.

Replies

• dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Repost for those of us without an account?

Other than that, interesting. I'm not going to get excited about it though since it's not Diablo. :P
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interested in it. Why? Because they say that they intend to use this announcement to begin recruiting. If Blizzard is recruiting for people to work on a next-gen MMO, I am most certainly interested.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    F*&K! "Titan".

Diablo....LATE 2011!....ffs.... :'(

Looks like torchlight 2 is going to get played alot.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Can someone copy paste the contents? Want to read! :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Richard, don't take this the wrong way but either you don't look at Polycount very often, or I do too much. There's been a fair few PC'ers hired for that team over the last 6 months or so. Not that they're really notable people, ya know; SlipgateCentral, Josh Singh, Peris. Going by that list alone, this game is bound to be terrible. :D

Seriously though, im excited. Any firm details will likely be miles off though so I try not to think about it too often. Diablo is next anyway, and I'm also looking forward to that.

I'm still convinced is WoW 2.0.

Given that there's what, 16 mil subscribers on WoW, and most of them will likely be the main demographic for another Blizzard MMO, it seems strange to release anything separate alongside WoW. I mean, people can't play two at once.

I know there's SC and Diablo, but they're not MMO's. They don't require a player to commit to them monthly and can be played more 'casually' so to speak.

I could of course be very wrong, I just can't see them running 2 MMO's at once.

EDIT: Prophecies reminded me that Blizzard have already said it's a new franchise. Ignore my useless ramblings!
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I mean, people can't play two at once.

ORLY?

multiboxing_setup.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    WoW 2.0 would be a huge mistake. IMO.
    They've already announced it will be an entirely new franchise.
  • Tom Ellis
    Slum wrote: »
    ORLY?

multiboxing_setup.jpg

If I had 4 arms, the last thing I'd be doing is playing MMO's.

Prophecies wrote: »
    WoW 2.0 would be a huge mistake. IMO.
    They've already announced it will be an entirely new franchise.

Ah yeah I remember now... oops! I made the same statement back during Blizzcon and then someone posted that quote... Ok.. move along people, ignore my post!
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    If I had 4 arms

I have 2 4arms. But I generally use my hands to play games ...*snigger... :D
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still convinced is WoW 2.0.

Yeah, I haven't really been paying attention to recent hires. It's good to hear that Blizzard has been poaching polycounters for this new game already.

If we are to consider this realistically, Blizzard can't create WoW 2.0. They already have WoW, and it isn't going away. They can update and iterate WoW indefinitely, nothing else has a chance of dethroning it.

This new MMO is going to have to be something different, something that can tap into demographics that WoW hasn't properly reached. Anything else would just be cannibalizing their own title.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    What I'd really love is something like Oblivion but an MMO. First person action where you actually have to aim instead of just pressing a button on a keyboard while you have something targeted. I doubt it'll be something like that though. Whatever it is I'll definitely play it though.

Also just to pitch in on the hiring thing, they've had positions for "Next Gen MMO" up on their job section of their site for at least a year.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    it seems strange to release anything separate alongside WoW. I mean, people can't play two at once

World of Warcraft just turned 6 years old (i know crazy right? especially for a game that is still the best looking MMO ever made). By the time titan is ready to release WoW will be most likely be 8 to 10 years old. MMO's take a long time to make and for it to be up to Blizzards incredible standard you might as well tack on another 10 years (I still love you SC2 :P)

Plus not everyone is going to want to switch over to a new MMO. There are still 700 thousand people playing EverQuest 1 which turned 10 years old in June or July and they never had 11 million subscribers. So I am pretty sure Blizzard will continue to make a nice chunk of change from the thousands of people who dont want to leave wow.

I for one am totally fearing the release of Titan. I am already getting sucked back into checking out Cataclysm and the release of a new MMO based on everything they have learned from WoW for the last 6 years?! Frightening stuff. :)
  • Josh_Singh
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I heard a rumor that if someone from Blizzard says anything about anything, they get sued for a million dollars and their first-born son gets taken away from them.

It could explain the silence.
  • Tom Ellis
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that if someone from Blizzard says anything about anything, they get sued for a million dollars and their first-born son gets taken away from them.

It could explain the silence.

Close

217511917_vHEgd-L-2.jpg
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    sorry guys, wan't thinking:

repost:

Blizzard VP confirms 'Titan' project

Blizzard senior VP and co-founder Frank Pearce has apparently lent some credence to an alleged leaked roadmap of the World of Warcraft developer's plans.
    The product calendar referenced a title known as 'Titan', due for a 2013 release. Said Pearce to Destructoid, "Titan is... the media is not meant to know anything about that."
    "It's our next-gen MMO and we've only started talking about it in a limited fashion because we want to leverage the fact that we're working on something like that for the purpose of recruiting – getting some of the best talent in the industry on that."
    Blizzard has repeatedly revealed over the last few years that it's working on a new MMO, and one apparently not related to its existing IPs.
    No further proof has been offered that the roadmap, which also noted two further World of Warcraft expansions, "WoW Mobile," a Diablo III release date of late 2011 and the opening up of Battle.net to third parties, is genuine.
    It has been alleged that the document may have originated from Blizzard's China offices. General manager Ye Weilun resigned unexpectedly shortly after the roadmap's arrival on an MMO fansite, but there is no proven connection between the two events.
    No further information on Titan, including whether that will be the game's final title, is available.

In related news I believe that upon comencement of contract with blizzard the candidates voice box is surgically altered. Utterance of certian key phrases will cause the larynx to contract, making the voice so high pitched that only dogs and three types of rainforest bat can hear. Dogs, although facinated by the next gen MMO project, have the ability to lick their own balls, thus negating the need to participate in online MMO's.
    On the subject of balls, the original method blizzard employed to alter the pitch of the voice was a surgically implanted steel toe-capped boot which would kick at the testicles from the inside repeatedly if it felt that security was about to be breached....this was fine until someone pointed out the the female staff had no testicles, and the larynx plan was hatched.

sorry I have been drinking :D