Home General Discussion

I am completely new to all of this. I would like to learn how to make TF2 item models

Hi guys, my name is completely irrelevant.

I came here because of two reasons.

1. There was the whole "Polycount Contest" for Team Fortress 2.

2. I've heard that this is one of the best sites for people who 3D model.

So, if you're still with me, onto my question.

How do I make models for TF2 items?

I have searched extensively for any sort of tutorial or guide and...I am unable to find one.

I have no experience in making tf2 item models, though I do have a bit of experience in 3d modeling. Now let me start off with my questions.

1. What program do people actually use? I know that this may seem stupid, but I have been completely unable to find even the name of any 3d modeling programs. What does one actually use?

2. Once I have such a program and get started a bit, I'd like some tips, or guides possibly on how to make items. I'd like to make something!

I have been told about Maya, Blender, and Milk Shape. Personally, I used Autodesk 3D inventor for a bit which I know how to use pretty well now. I don't really know how I would take the file from any of these programs and turn it into what Valve wants.

So...uhm...yes. I am completely unaware of any of this. I would truly appreciate all of the help that any of you could provide me with. I am completely new to this, I am a noob, and I require your assistance.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me! :)

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Hi and welcome mr. Completely Irrelevant.

If I may ask, how many years are you willing to commit, how far are you planning to take it?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jumping right in to 'modeling for TF2' isn't really your best option. 'Modeling', as it were, is where you should begin. A grasp, understanding and decent exposure to the craft would be wise well before jumping in to tackling TF2 as it specifically has a unique way their models and textures look (read: visual style).

I would suggest you check out our wiki (the link is in the top right menu of the website).

Be prepared. This isn't something that is going to take you a couple of days to know the ins-and-outs of. People here have been doing this for years and we're still learning and developing new techniques.

It's an undertaking, thats for sure, so I hope my brief - and vague - words haven't swayed you away from it. If you're really interested in modeling, then you've come to the right spot. We'll get you there.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    u want to fly before learning how to walk and thats not possible unless you are chuck norris, which I doubt.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    a large amount of us use 3D Studio Max or Maya. some crazy birds use Modo or XSI.

definitely make sure you actually want to do this, and it's not a passing fancy, because it'll take you quite a bit of learnins' to get stuff in TF2.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Are you a university student? Because if you are, you can download a free educational licence of Autodesk 3ds Max or Maya - the two top tier 3d packages when it comes to games.

If you're not a student, look into blender

Once you have a program, spend some time with the introductory tutorials and get to grips with the basic features and controls. If you've used autodesk inventor, it might be a bit of a mental shift, but you'll still have a bit of a headstart in understanding it all :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't the latest version of SoftImage specifically optimized for Half-Life 2, and other Source-engine related modeling? I could have sworn that was the case the last time I looked into modeling for Half-Life 2. Has that changed?
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I use 3ds max personally. http://cg.tutsplus.com/ and Eat3d.com are good places to start looking at some tutorials. Most of eat3d videos cost money but they are all really awesome. They have a great 3dsmax 101 that will teach you the basics/intermediate functions of the program. I know it cost money but if your serious about learning I really think its worth it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14

I have searched extensively for any sort of tutorial or guide and...I am unable to find one.

I have no experience in making tf2 item models, though I do have a bit of experience in 3d modeling. Now let me start off with my questions.

1. What program do people actually use? I know that this may seem stupid, but I have been completely unable to find even the name of any 3d modeling programs. What does one actually use?

2. Once I have such a program and get started a bit, I'd like some tips, or guides possibly on how to make items. I'd like to make something!

I have been told about Maya, Blender, and Milk Shape. Personally, I used Autodesk 3D inventor for a bit which I know how to use pretty well now. I don't really know how I would take the file from any of these programs and turn it into what Valve wants.

So...uhm...yes. I am completely unaware of any of this. I would truly appreciate all of the help that any of you could provide me with. I am completely new to this, I am a noob, and I require your assistance.

"How do I make models for TF2 items?"

Wow. The first time reading this type of question here...

Anyways, Greetings newling, welcome to Polycount.

If you wish to learn how to create model please do so by googling "how to model in Maya, XSI soft image, 3ds max, etc"

You may need to learn how to draw a concept art for the sake of reference.

Then you need to learn how to draw a 3d model.

Then learn how to put texture on it.

Learn how to animate that model.

How to export it and import it in to TF using source sdk This will help you test your models and 3d animations.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's refreshing to see that things haven't changed. I'm sure most of us have asked the same question before, only with much, much older games :)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12

Welcome to PC new guy, I will try to answer your questions, even though they have already been answered I think I might be able to provide some insight.

Your questions in a grand sense is: How do I make items for TF2?

Ok to answer your question in very simple terms you do this.

First you get a modeling software, this is different than Inventor because CAD programs model in solids, which means that the model you are making has density, you can cut it, extrude it, revolve it, sweep, flex, bend, screw, all types of good stuff.

The modeling software used for games makes models in planes, like paper m
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Much has been said and I'm just gonna say one more thing.

Getting assets into source = getting kicked in the balls and tough it out until you're done. I couldn't handle it due to how clunky it was. Maybe there's an easy way but I certainly didn't find it. UDK has spoilt me :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting the stuff into source is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, it does involve some trial and error and even quite a bit of reading and some basic understanding of some basic concepts of code. The Valve wiki is a good place to learn, also there are a lot of user based tutorials floating around the web.

BUT and this is a pretty big BUT All that knowledge is specific to source so unless you plan to work at valve or find a studio that is using source its kind of like chasing your tail.

The real problem is getting the model and texture to look like they fit, and to be technically correct. Which if you can work on those things first, those skills transfer to other jobs and other studios. Since I haven't seen any of your work I'll tell you to work on the basics and forget about source for a while, when the time comes you'll spend a night reading and trying and finally get something that works, then you'll spend a weekend perfecting and refining it.

Don't mistake TF2's simplified style for something that is simple to do.

Patton Oswalt (the guy that did the voice for Remi in Ratatouille) once said this about breaking into Stand Up Comedy:
    It's like a guy saying, "You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to start off as a four-star chef." Well, can you cook a cup of rice? "No." Can you cook an omelet? "No." Well, why don't you start off learning how to cook rice, and by the way, that takes about a year. Four star chefs take a full year learning how to cook rice and how to cook omelet's. "Well, I'm not going to do that." Well, then you're never going to be a four-star chef.
    Gotta crawl before you can walk, gotta walk before you can run and you have to run a lot before you can compete in a marathon. Good luck, this is a good place to come to for help, provided your ego doesn't get in the way =/ That sinks more peoples ships than anything...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    for help, provided your ego doesn't get in the way =/ That sinks more peoples ships than anything...

And creates beautiful new things.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    lol I think we are all just posting for our own sakes now.

This OP was like blood in the water for helpful polysharks.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think almost all of us started 3d because we wanted to help with some mod or add some custom shit to a game. He's the same.

ADVICE TIME. Step 1, get a 3d program. I recommend 3dsmax. Step 2, do all the of the tutorials that come with the program. Step 3, find other tutorials online using google. Step 4, practice.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I got in to it for the chicks.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CG tuts is a good place to start with 3ds Max. They have awesome content for free and are sure to get you up to speed in no time. When 3ds Max starts to feel more comfortable then look into the 3ds Max to Source workflow. It's not blackmagic (well, it actually is pretty close :) ), but it's easier when you have an understanding of the 3D part first - and your 3D application of choice.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I used the Source engine as a full licensee for a couple of years, and they had great export/validation/sourcecontrol tools fully integrated into Maya and Perforce. I've no idea why they haven't released at least some of this stuff to the public yet, because
    Getting assets into source = getting kicked in the balls
    with 3rd party tools.

With that in mind it might be worth grabbing the student version of Maya if applicable, just in case Valve ever do get round to making some of their in-house tools available to modders. They moved from XSI to Maya years ago now so references to the XSI mod tool aren't really as relevant now.