Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post Apocalyptic Motorcycle

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, it's been awhile since I've been here, but I've got a new project underway. Just thought I would show you what I have thus far. PLEASE hit me with your most brutal criticisms possible. :P Here's the original posting from my blog:

Hello all me friends on the interwebs! It's been a while, hasn't it?

The bike project is under way. Over the past month, I focused more on getting some work done for the RPG project, which is coming along nicely. But, it was always hard to find time for the motorcycle project, which I would like to get done ASAP, so that I can finally have a full portfolio to show to employers if need be. So, I 'm putting my contributions to the project on hold in order to get the bike cranked out. I'm hoping that it'll be done sometime in January, but it's as you all know by now, very hard to tell. Especially this early in the game. Other than that there's not really too much going on.

SIDE%2BCAR.jpgSIDE%2BCAR2.jpg

As you can see, my roommate Joe D'amico has done a bang up job on the concept. The idea in itself is simple. It's a motorcycle with a sidecar. The setting for it is post apocalyptic, so it's put together with found scraps. The idea itself is admittedly not THAT original, but we're hoping that the execution of it is something unique.

We still haven't worked out tiny details yet, but it's coming as soon as everything is modeled out. He's working on the concept for the motorcycle as we speak. It may seem like a kind of backwards way of working, but the sidecar kind of acts like a warm up for the actual bike. The bike has ALOT of detail. It's gonna be pretty hard to determine what's normal mapped and what's modeled, but that's just the fun of it. :) So for now, we're just working on the foundations of the model.

The final product will be a few shots of the bike inside an old, dusty garage. The other objects within it won't be nearly as focused as the bike, which will be an advantage as I want the bike to stand out alot. It's the centerpiece, I guess you could say. I'll also have the normal goodness of wireframe shots, texture images, and lighting only shots.

This project is meant to show off all my skills in general, but mostly that I know what I'm doing in zbrush, as well as photoshop. With that in mind, I plan on doing ALL the normal map detail in zbrush and all the texture work will be hand painted. Expect to see some renders from inside of zbrush as well as in game shots with it as a normal mapped model, naturally. The wire shots I have below are from inside the maya viewport and the lit shots are from inside the UDK editor.

Enjoy!

in_game_front.jpgwire_front.jpgin_game_side.jpgwire_side.jpgin_game_back.jpgwire_back.jpg

sidecar_UV.jpg

And also, here's how the UV's are set up. Nicely packed if I do say so myself.

So the next few posts will be his drawings of the motorcycle, as well as modeling progress.

Replies

• n88tr
    Looks more like a trike or a pedal car.
    A good start looks like. Looking forward to the details n texture
  • Drakon
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Thats just the sidecar, looks good so far, looking forward to seeing the bike consept/3d :)
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    If this is your lowpoly you could cut loads of tris without losing any silhouette. The glass and that bit under it especially could lose almost all polygon density and not change the silhouette at all.
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, good call. Did some trimming and took it down from about 4000 tris to about 3000. Not sure exactly how high poly the bike will be, but say you have a motorcycle with a sidecar in your game. You're using the unreal engine, and it's a AAA title. It's something that will see a pretty good amount of screen time. Let's say that the vehicle is on the screen about 10 to 20% of the time, so it's important. How many tris would you generally shoot for on something like this? Any takers?
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    It's me again. I hope everyone's holiday season was good and spiffy. Mine was as much fun as it was productive. Low poly modeling for the "bike" part of the motorcycle project is for all intents and purposes done, aside from minor changes due to feedback I may get. With all the necessary faces deleted, the model comes out to about 10,000 polys. It may seem a little heavy for some games, but I'm treating it like it's gonna see a lot of screen time in an engine that can handle the weight of the model well (in this case, Unreal). As I predicted, it was ten times harder to do than the sidecar. Trying to get an understanding of how a motorcycle functions is no easy task. On top of that, I have to simplify it so that it meets my poly budget and also looks like it can function properly. All in all, I think an average Joe such as myself will buy it, but it won't stand up to the scrutiny of a motorcycle expert. But, this is usually true with a lot of things in games, so it doesn't concern me much. I think I stuck close enough to the concept while also giving it my own personal touch. But, that's for you folks to decide. Take a look see:

34_front_left.jpg34_front_right.jpgright_side.jpg34_back_right.jpg
    34_back_left.jpgleft_side.jpgleft_side_no_sidecar.jpgright_close.jpgleft_close.jpghandlebars_close_front.jpghandlebars_close_back.jpgfront_wheel.jpgback_close.jpg

So once I'm satisfied with the low poly, it's on to planning for the high poly. This project is gonna push my Zbrush skills to the limit, so I honestly can't say how long it'll take. Should be interesting though. Next posting should consist of zbrush progress pics. See you then....
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Funny choice of model for pushing Zbrush skills I must say...
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Why do you say that?