Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] David Henchey

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Razgriz keyframe
Hello polycounters,

I just finished the creation of my own brand-spankin new website, and figured I would give it a test drive through here. I don't have much work, I'm a student, and until six months ago my work was of such an abysmal amateurishness that I would never have put it online, however, it should be filling up quickly within the next year as I work nonstop on projects.

So, given the limited amount of work, I would love feedback specifically on the site design itself, and of course work too if anybody likes. Don't hold back.

www.davidhenchey.com

The resume page is incomplete at the moment, but itll have, well, a resume on it. Just some filler text for now. Thanks!

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work!

#1: Flash isn't working for me (both chrome and IE @ 1920 by 1080)

#2: I think you have too many shots of your desert scene on that page there (I accidentally did this helping someone with their folio). I would keep 3 or 4 of your strongest, and then add some wireframe/shaded renders so we can appreciate your sculpts on low poly meshes.

#3: Resume download link doesn't work

I like the site colors and layout. It's super simple and easy to navigate. Nice job not cluttering with useless info.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Like kaburan said the layout and navigation is really good. I would like some bigger pics when I enter a gallery for a certain scene.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say your presentation is pretty good and straightforward, but second the want for bigger pics. The other major thing is the lack of work :P Wires/flatshaded views of your scenes could also spruce things up a bit perhaps. Maybe a closuep from under the tree in the field one? And for god's sake, how about some hint at vegetation or something in the desert scene? That is ONE barren desert and way too boring to spend that many shots and a vid on, but something that could easily be fixed with the addition of the slightest variation and color. Assets look good though, the key words would be more of everything!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    @kaburan

#1: The Flash should be working now. I had an FTP problem with the .flv upload.

#2: I took off three of the worst comps, and I'll take another couple off once I am able to render some wireframe and asset shots.

#3: Both resume links should now be working.

@ rasmus

I appreciate the critique. As mentioned, I'm a student, I'm just barely at a point where I have work I feel I can show and not seem completely amateur. I've received the same critique from others on the desert, and It's something I'll be keeping in mind for my next piece. More of everything to come though, to be sure - just give me another year, hehe.

Also, I added 100 pixels width to the images in the galleries, and all are savable as their original size.

Thanks so much for the crits, I'm glad to hear the presentation is solid.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz wrote: »
    As mentioned, I'm a student, I'm just barely at a point where I have work I feel I can show and not seem completely amateur.

How long have you been doing game art?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    How long have you been doing game art?

Oh, for about two years, seriously for one. My first experience with 3d was when I started school around 2008.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hello I really like your work especially the desert ruins but somehow it feels it's missing something .... what engine are you using for it? Together with the high polyrenders why don't you post also the low poly wireframes? And somehow seems that some "dirth" or debris stuff is missing from the scene , it looks all very nice but somehow like someone scattered around in order pieces of stones and bricks ....
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    Ooooo, I REALLY like that design, good work :)