Home General Discussion

forget everything you ever hope to accomplish

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not sure my feeble brain can fully grasp this. But it's awesome nonetheless.

So I don't get how it works exactly. How can gears be adding/substracting/mathing numbers? Seems like they have what's basically a clock on one side, then an eclipse calendar on the other. So maybe they figured out the math of the ratio between hours and when an eclipse happens ahead of time, and then made a machine that uses that ratio to show when an eclipse happens?
  • Thyandir17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, that is really neat!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I'm not sure my feeble brain can fully grasp this. But it's awesome nonetheless.

So I don't get how it works exactly. How can gears be adding/substracting/mathing numbers? Seems like they have what's basically a clock on one side, then an eclipse calendar on the other. So maybe they figured out the math of the ratio between hours and when an eclipse happens ahead of time, and then made a machine that uses that ratio to show when an eclipse happens?

essentially, yes that's right.
    now... in the modern age, it's more of a novelty toy and to be fair just falls under the "oh that's neat" catagory.

what i find amazing is that 2000 years ago, greeks built that bad boy out of stone, and it worked to precision of within 5 minutes.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    now... in the modern age, it's more of a novelty toy and to be fair just falls under the "oh that's neat" catagory.

what i find amazing is that 2000 years ago, greeks built that bad boy out of stone, and it worked to precision of within 5 minutes.

Yeah, that really is amazing.

I saw this a while ago too:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCsBDNf9Mig[/ame]

Which got me thinking, that thing isn't bigger at all (or maybe smaller?) than the earlier electronic computers we had that did basically the same thing. So, could we have had basically steampunk computers? Assuming that tech could be miniaturized, could we have had computers that are as powerful as what we have today, only without electronics?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yea C+ for following a 2000 year old tutorial.
    But A++ for inventing the thing 2000 years ago.

It must of been incredibly powerful to be able to predict events like that.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Spin a smaller cog on an axle with a bigger cog on another axle, suddenly the axle with the smaller cog will have done more rotations than the rotations you put into the axle with the big cog.

= multiplication.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    This is the best possible advertisment for legos imaginable.

Also... wow I had no idea they figured out the purpose of that device. And to replicate it's functionality too... Jeeze, just imagine if that scientific progress were left to progress on it's own (IE, no invasion(s) of Greece), we'd probably be colonizing space by now. They were just a stones throw from making a Babbage Machine.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that really is amazing.

Assuming that tech could be miniaturized, could we have had computers that are as powerful as what we have today, only without electronics?

Simple answer no :P

And while while we could make entirely mechanized computers to some degree.. well, lets just say there's a good reason we are moving away from moving parts in computers, now imagine those moving parts on the microscopic level.