Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Low Poly Character

Ive been lurking for awhile but I've finally got some courage to post.

This is my first Low Poly character model and I really think I could benefit from the glorious wisdom that is oozing out of every crack and pore of PC. if I should post any other pics to give more info on the model please let me know.

the model is a fishman type character and I will post updates very soon.

Im aware of a bunch of flaws in my normal map I will remove them eventually, but advice on how would be greatly appreciated. as well as flaws with my high poly which will be resolved presently.

any advice on any aspect of the model would be greatly appreciated!!!

All1.jpg
head1.jpg
HighPoly(Zbrush):
hi_poly.jpg
Normaled:
All_NRMLD.jpg

head_Nrmld.jpg

Replies

• fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Hello

Sorry for this bad overpaint...:poly124:
    f069ms.jpg

Try to keep the amout of polygons according with the required silhouete. In your model there are some flat parts with a lot of loops (2), the top of the head with a large courvature with 3 loops from de side view (1) and from the front view a lot of loops (4)
    Also there a lot of loops (comming from 4) that goes to his neck (3) that could be directed to the front of the head or even not exist.
    The main point is the camera view. The amount of polygons visible should be equal. (Very small for a next gen or large for a very low poly char)
    Doesn´t make sense having very rounded parts and other too blocky.

Don´t be afraid of triangles...they are not a problem in areas that doesn´t move like his head. If you try to keep everything continuous loops you will never reduce his polycount.
    Get some models here to see what I am talking about:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908

Also for your sculpt, try to work more your high and make more "believable details". Even being a alien we should recognize some organic features. :thumbup:

Ps. I think your normal map is flipped (green channel maybe)

I hope it helps.
  • KyleH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Tips thanks!

for reducing extra loops on the head, would killing them on the back of the head be a viable solution?

and for my sculpt im going to add gills and scales.

any advice on approaching gills? I would think, masking and moving
  • jenninexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creepy & badass character - keep up the good work :-)
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    jenninexus wrote: »
    Creepy & badass character - keep up the good work :-)

HolyNecroPost_759032.jpg