Home General Discussion

Let go from Cryptic Studios, fx artist looking for work shortly..

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Yah, as the title suggests, after over three and a half years at Cryptic Studios, I just got let go.

Since this literally *just* happened, I've still got a few things to sort out, but since Polycount is directly responsible for getting me my job there in the first place, figured starting back here is the best thing. :)

By the way, thank you PC, that was a good time.

Anyways, at this point I need to see what can be done to get a reel together, since this was rather sudden, and I no longer have access to my work.

Gonna start looking in the immediate area and beyond as well. I've got projects around here that I'll feel bad leaving unfinished, but nothing that can't be put on hold.

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    grats man, good luck on finding something!! Here in Dallas, been 5 months for me so far without 3d work. :( Looking for other jobs now.. You'll find something though, I'm just not willing to move for the jobs anymore.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man, I hate to hear that. Really sucks, especially when it blind sides ya. Good luck finding a new gig! I hope you land something quick.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Sucks to hear man. Been there a few times now.

I'm currently working construction, here in Maine if you want to join me in the frozen tundra pouring concrete, grinding metal and fixing broken shit.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ugh! Bummer, and you're in Maine, Jesse? At least it's pretty! And full of blueberries...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Sucks man, that's terrible news. You can always try looking at some of the MGS places, if you're up for moving to the Seattle area. I know 343 has been on a hiring spree as of late. The now MS-free Bungie has had some job openings as well. Your best chances of landing a gig are either up here or down in the DFW/Ausin area, in terms of dev saturation.

Let us know how things turn out man, I hope your find something shortly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks... I hope you land on your feet quickly, doing what you love!
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Ugh! Bummer, and you're in Maine, Jesse? At least it's pretty! And full of blueberries...
    Yea I hear it gets cold...
    /rimshot
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear about your situation Flaagan, hope you land on your feet with a new gig soon.

Without being too blatant about it, what is the situation there? Presumably just a reshuffle of the pack,right?

Only reason I ask is Cryptic are also recruiting down in the paid jobs sections of this very forum, would be a warning to fellow counters Looking at those job oppotunities if the ship has become unsteady and find themselves having got a job, not have a job 6months down the line.

Good Luck dude!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    well, its just a little north of you, and sorry for the full quote post but there was no direct link to the job listing itself:
    FX Artist

Nicole Payte
    nicole.payte@2kgames.com

We're looking for a G-Man to harness alien technology and transform it into beautiful, kinetic art.

As an FX Artist on XCOM, you will be responsible for creating a kaleidoscopic collage of FX that will add texture, vitality and spark to an alien invasion of 50's America. You will collaborate with Art Director, animators, artists, designers and programmers to bring about a complex symphony of the subtle and the sublime. You will pre-visualize FX, draw textures, animate and implement systems inside the Unreal Editor and other proprietary tools.

And, yes, you will get to blow stuff up.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:

* Create compelling real-time character and environmental FX utilizing the Unreal Engine, Cascade, and the UE3 Material Editor
    * Produce all FX related textures (Photoshop) and meshes (3D Studio Max)
    * Pre-visualize FX using Kismet and Matinee
    * Implement FX for characters, environments, encounters and cinematics
    * Optimize FX to ensure smooth performance across all applicable platforms
    * Work with Art Director, Art Leads and the Audio team to ensure aesthetic unity with the entire project
    * Work with Designers to mesh gameplay goals with aesthetic style

REQUIRED SKILLS:

* Proven experience making outstanding FX for at least one shipped title
    * Experience creating compelling yet highly efficient materials/shaders
    * Strong foundation in the fundamentals of animation
    * Able to problem solve complex technical challenges
    * Can take direction well
    * Strong 2D art skills
    * Able to collaborate across all disciplines in a strong team environment
    * Able to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, often late in the process

EXTRA CREDIT:

* Experience with the Unreal Engine
    * Experience with 3D Studio Max
    * Experience with Kismet and Matinee
    * 3 years game industry experience"
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Sucks to hear man. Been there a few times now.

I'm currently working construction, here in Maine if you want to join me in the frozen tundra pouring concrete, grinding metal and fixing broken shit.

aaouch....sorry to hear that bro...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear that Flaagan. :(

Vailias wrote: »
    well, its just a little north of you, and sorry for the full quote post but there was no direct link to the job listing itself:

APPLY! I know you fit the requirements.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out, Vailias. Had to double-check their location with google maps, cause for some reason I was thinking "Marin... isn't that in SoCal?". :poly142:

Tyler, yah, time to blow the dust off that site and get some use out of it again! :)

Started writing up a list of fx I want recorded by the guys still at Cryptic.. holy moly I did a lot of stuff over the years. Hoping they'll send me a copy of the lists of work I did which I kept on my system, cause that'll help me sort out what I really need. Champions alone is probably a couple pages worth of stuff, and I'm having a hard time remembering every last thing.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear man, i'll ask at work if we have an opening.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry to hear flaagan, I remember talking to you about FX work in the IRC channel and you seem like a pretty rad dude. I'm sure you'll make it out alive and at some place even better than your time at Crypic :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry to hear man. Luckily good effects people are always in demand. You have a portfolio to pass around to people? Your homepage doesn't have anything. Or wait till you get samples of your work from your old work?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffro - yah, waiting on Cryptic to get vids.

Posted up a quick blurb on there stating that I'm waiting on vids of my work from current Cryptic Studios employees, a short rundown of my work there, and a link to my linkedIn profile.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Best of luck man. If you do go to 2k Marin, we'll have to grab lunch sometime. Novato's 12 miles south of me. Would be a hell of a commute from the south bay though.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, at this point I'm considering 'starting from square one'. If I get anything as far as vids from Cryptic at this point I'll be amazed. Nothing I've seen on youtube or otherwise is really useable for a reel, and trying to capture stuff myself has proven to be an exercise in frustration. I may just grab some of the stuff to at least have something to show off.

I'm currently re-teaching myself Unreal's fx system since the last time I used it, UT2k4 was hot stuff, and it's a handy thing to know. I've gotten a lot of good leads from you guys, but I don't think it'd be wise to act on them without something to show. We'll see where things go from here.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    God damn that is fucking bullshit about Cryptic not giving you the videos. Best of luck again mang.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    That's rough, flaagan. I hope you bounce back on your feet sooner rather than later. Best of luck, mate.
  • Renaud Galand
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know why the fuck i said 'grat's man' I'm an ass but seriously not that much of a twat to congratulate you for losing your job. You'll bounce back man, good luck in the job hunt. I've been out for 6 months now, had two freelance jobs but looking for pretty much IT or government jobs now.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Damm sorry James :( We have an opening in our console division in Austin, if you looking for a UE3 FX Artist position :) Hit me up on email or IRC.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Bummer man. Hopefully things start working out for you.