Home General Discussion

Simulations/Serious Games artists?

*Been lurking here a while, decided to join and get busy. TBH it took longer to think of an appropriate subject for the thread than to type this message.

I'm transitioning from the army to job making serious games and sims for the military. I've been working with 3ds Max for 12 years now, but I'm only about 2 years into environmental modeling/texturing.

Just a quick question, are there other guys like me here now?

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I did this for a few years at Breakaway games.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.seriousgames.org/

More interested in its sub area. G4C (Games 4 Change). What I create currently though is standard entertainment ware.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a job a couple months ago working at TerraSim making simulation software for the military and private contracts.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Realm wrote: »
    Just a quick question, are there other guys like me here now?

If anybody can get on a simdev who's pretty good at getting Defense contracts...you can coast the rest the of recession.

Boring as heck though and you probably can find busy contractors in places like...Alabama.

Can't say anymore though...loose lips sink ships and all that :)
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I do. It's a bit tedious at times with the content, but it can also be pretty cool.

I couldn't have really asked for a better first 3D job, especially in the current climate of the industry.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I work for a company that is involved in military applications and simulators.
    Depending on the company, working with sims/serious games is basicly the same as regular game development.
    Sims often have a bigger emphasis on function rather than visual presentation thus you get less resources(time, tools and team members).

I'd say it's an excellent place to start out with your realtime graphics career. After a while you'll notice problems and or dilemmas that are connected to the above mentioned constraints. When they do present themselves, think about moving on.

Or you'll end up like me... having superiors that don't fully grasp how this "3d-thing" works and they expect you to create an next-gen asset in 3 days that is on par with AAA-assets but have the performance of 1998 asset.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    tanka wrote: »
    I couldn't have really asked for a better first 3D job, especially in the current climate of the industry.

Word

Far as I know you'll need a security clearance to be able to handle semi classified material (like for references), so you don't have to worry about losing your job to overseas outsourcing or cheap remote artist.

One thing to keep in mind though is the stuff you make you may not be able to show in public...ever. So you'll have to make art off hours in case you want to have a portfolio to show if you need to find another job or other clients.
  • Realm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the responses, it's good to see others who have trodden this path before me.

Lucky for me, I already have a secret clearance. And also lucky for me is that my job with the company is as much advisor as it is developer so I'm part of the overall design process, not just art asset creation. I've already seen many of the pitfalls and constraints so many of you have mentioned, but again I'm lucky that the company wants to spend more time/money on aesthetics that is the norm in the industry. Function is, of course, the key element as mentioned, but we're using high resolution characters, screen effects, shadows and environments whenever time (and delivery platform) permits.

Thanks again for the responses.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    If you recently had secret clearance before you got out you should be good. It doesn't expire when you terminate.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    been working with a military sim company for about 7 years now.